ruptured disc

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by KungFuGrrrl, Feb 25, 2007.

1. KungFuGrrrl

KungFuGrrrl Valued Member

Hi all, long time since Ive been on here. Reading some of the posts made me smile and feel better.

My question to you is:

Is there anyone here who has/had a ruptured disc? I have in 4th 5th lumbar..

I reinjured while uhhh cleaning the house of all things! injury since 1995 however, I only have flare up maybe once per year till now, its been 5 weeks, I just started doing MFR and stretching w/physical therapist then moving on to pilates..... meanwhile Im so frustrated......

I teach 3 classes.... (Tai Chi Chuan) and this is really interfering... so if anyone has any ideas.....

besides cortisone shots......
    oh I am also trying decompression with a chiropractor ( no adjusdtments)

Thanks!

2. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

Inversion table

3. 14 Kempo

14 Kempo Valued Member

I have the same, ruptured disc at L5 causing problems down the front-side of my right leg. Quad had severe pain, then starting at the top of the knee, down the shin, into the big toe, was numbness.

I stuck, so far, with Chiropractic and herbals. It has helped tremendously. I still have some weakness in the right leg, but it is coming back. I also have an inversion table that I use sparingly. Another thing is traction, the DC has me wear some contraption and walk a treeadmill for 10 minutes, 3 times a week ... that too seems to be helping.

I think my progress has been slowed cause after one month of doing nothing, I went back to my MA workouts. I do keep it in check, I rest if I feel it is needed. Forms and getting off the floor, over and over get me, but it's a tiredness, not pain.

4. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

My recommendation is that you see a traditional doctor, if you haven't already, and consider consulting a physical therapist.

I can't say what will actually help you, but decompression combined with massage/ultrasound and exercises specifically targetting the back helped me.

5. KungFuGrrrl

KungFuGrrrl Valued Member

Thanks , I am indeed recieving Physical Therapy/decompression/and MFR....along with oriental medicine......per my spinal doc...

I really wanted feed back from those who have similar situations.. and
    THANKS SO MUCH!!!!

6. Kew-Do

Kew-Do Valued Member

I had a bout with sciatica twice in 1989 after a back injury. It was very painful. I was told I would never run, do MA or be able to bend over without Surgey. I obviously went to another professional for a second opinion. I AM GLAD THAT I DID!!!!! IT WAS DIET AND PHYSICAL THERAPY!!!!!

I would suggest before implementing and type of physical therapy that you confer with a professional. I confered with a physical therapist and an Orthopedic Surgeon. After 2 years of Physical Therapy, I was able to perform all of the activities that I did prior to injury. I am 45 now and still grapple, do break falls etc. I still have to do my physical therapy and keep my weight at an appropriate lbs. for the rest of my life if I want to be pain free. What is the other alternative, no therapy, get out of shape, and have back and leg pain the rest of my life?.....I think I'll pick the latter.

Kew-Do

7. DAYoung

DAYoung Valued Member

After I suffered a cervical disk protrusion at Judo, I moved to Tai Chi.

I suspect there's an irony in there somewhere.

8. Fishbone.

Fishbone. Banned Banned

Judo = Rough :p

9. DAYoung

DAYoung Valued Member

Indeed. Fantastic martial art, though. Kano - now he was an educator.