Ruotolo v Giles adcc 2022

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by icefield, Apr 17, 2023.

1. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Cracking match between probably the most innovative leg locker in the game and the moat innovative passer...that finish :eek:

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I'm no grappling for reality purist but damn it looks so weird when one guy sits down before the hand shake/fist bump and then inverts with his head facing the guy.

Grond likes this.
  3. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

Kade's pace is insane, both in the cardio sense and in the complete lack of apparent thinking time in even his very long sequences, especially the escapes. Lachlan's retention against N/S by using basically just the tip of his knee is amazing as well, and actually he picked a really good anti-Ruotolo strategy here by not trying to sit up and wrestle/underhook at all, which is a lot of Kade's gnarlier counters and scrambles from, but instead baiting the run-around and looking for his leg entries from there knowing that Kade isn't going to try and stall out.

4. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I thought he had the heel hook, but some great escapes.

I've been working with the same NS defence/escape position from Lachlan's instructional for a while, I like that knee in setup.

That finish was so quick, just the decision making time with such an opening is so fast

5. Grond

Grond Valued Member

How many foot strikes to the face was that, after Kade successfully trapped Lachlan's arm? 4 or 5?

And they say BJJ competition is strikeless...sorry but there definitely some foot on face contact at the end there, even if it was subtle.

Maybe some of the BJJ people here can enlighten me, but I've gotten the impression over the year (and this match illustrates it nicely) that the best BJJ competitors are good at hitting their opponent but not getting DQ'd. If those foot to face hits has been just a little more overt, that would have been the outcome, right?

6. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Yeah one of them landed pretty heavily actually
    I suspect they get away with it because the movement is part of a sub, just being applied aggressively

7. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

That's ADCC rather than strictly a BJJ competition, they let you get pretty violent (e.g. ). IBJJF is a little quicker on the draw, but it would be pretty controversial if they DQ'd him for that, given that he's violently trying to clear the hand off his leg, i.e. there's a legit grappling purpose to the movement, rather than just kicking him in the face.

Grond likes this.
  8. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Lovely match the Ruotolo's have such a fast passed aggressive style it's great to watch

Dead_pool likes this.
  9. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Like a lot of things when they become popular grappling has morphed away from it's roots into something totally different than the Gracie's thought it would be.

Just like judo became something Kano didn't want it to.

Having said that In a street situation Giles would probably invert and break most people's legs before they could blink :)

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  10. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

It's also not like he can't wrestle, but wrestling wasn't going to win him another medal at the the adcc against those monsters.

icefield likes this.
  11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Can you imagine?..."What's this idiot doing!?...why's he on the floor?...get off my leg...aaaaarrrrrrggghhh!!!"

icefield likes this.
  12. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Yep :)
    My favourite escape from mount way before leglocks were popular was bridge push to single X and snap the leg, always fun drilling that with people with no ground skills who wanted to know the best way out of mount for the street :)
    It was what .. what happening...ohh ok that works

13. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Its crazy how good open guard retention strategies are now and to be honest its very much an extension of the gracie strategy of using the guard as an offensive position.

Is it just me or has the skill level just kept climbing since we started?

Whitebelts now understand leglocking, when they were the dark arts back in the day to me, and now they're a basic part of the curriculum.

axelb likes this.
  14. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

How is judo different from kano's vision?

15. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Kano on the thoughts of judo in the Olympics
    "I have been asked by people of various sections as to the wisdom and the possibility of Judo being introduced at the Olympic Games. My view on the matter, at present, is rather passive. If it be the desire of other member countries, I have no objection. But I do not feel inclined to take any initiative. For one thing, Judo in reality is not a mere sport or game. I regard it as a principle of life, art and science. In fact, it is a means for personal cultural attainment. Only one of the forms of Judo training, the so-called randori can be classed as a form of sport... [In addition, the] Olympic Games are so strongly flavoured with nationalism that it is possible to be influenced by it and to develop Contest Judo as a retrograde form as Jujitsu was before the Kodokan was founded. Judo should be as free as art and science from external influences – political, national, racial, financial or any other organised interest. And all things connected with it should be directed to its ultimate object, the benefit of humanity". Jigoro Kano

I think if he saw what sport judo has become, how limited a rule set it is, how dominant randori is, how excluded certain techniques are, the lack of the martial art aspect of training (combat self defense against striking etc) in favour of specific sport rules and goals... well I'm not sure he would be impressed but who knows

Last edited: Apr 24, 2023
    Grond likes this.
  16. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I think a lot of gyms teach leg locks entries from white belt, ours has been doing it for years so that everyone understands the eacapes. No gi rules are different also, so those classes accommodate anything that fits the rule set for experience.

I think more recently some organisations dropped the belt level for certain techniques like knee bar and toe hold to blue (which was brown previously).

Listening to Neil Adams about judo recently, he's been a driving force on rule changes which have updated recently to allow more action on the ground if it's progressing. Some standup rule changes also to penalize stalling.

Frodocious likes this.
  17. icefield

icefield Valued Member

I think there is more breadth to BJJ these days and more focus on grappling for grappling sake but whether the Gracie's see that's a good thing I'm not sure.

The advances in open guard, the different half guards and open guards we see now, the advances in leg locks etc aren't really in line with the vale tudo ideals of GJJ.

The original ideal of GJJ was one in one fighting and self defence, BJJ these days is one on one grappling that's a big difference.

Personally I like the advances and changes but as I say it's not where the Gracie's originally thought or wanted it to go I don't think

Grond and axelb like this.
  18. icefield

icefield Valued Member