Running Downhill

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Red Bull, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Red Bull

Red Bull Valued Member

Hey. How bad is it really for your feet and ankles to run downhill alot? I live at the top of a pretty steep hill and sometimes I have to sprint like hell down there to catch the train when I've over slept or something.

This week and last week I've had to run down almost everyday except on weekends. I noticed it hurt abit while running but it went away quite quickly. Next thing I know, last Monday I went to training and started, as usual, by warming up with a skipping rope. I usually switch between feet, and everytime I switched to one foot it would hurt. My left foot was especially bad, i found it difficult to jump high enough to allow the rope underneath.

Is this serious? I've been taking it easy, and the jump roping has been going better, but it still hurts a little. What sort of permanent damage could I have maybe caused myself? Thanks.

2. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Red Bull, I'd suggest you get sufficient sleep and learn to wake up on time.

Or you can roll down the hill in a sleeping bag, much safer. What's the incline of the hill?

3. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Ha ha! I have the same problem Red Bull. I'm always late for work. :) Fortunately I have no hills to run down to catch my bus.

Since you've had no sensible replies yet ( :p to Lily :Angel: ) I'll chuck in my 2p worth. I'm no expert in this area, but I've always heard from multiple people that running downhill is bad for you. The reasoning being that your foot has further to travel down, so the impact on your joints is that much more. Unless someone more knowledgeable comes along and contradicts me, I'd advise avoiding it. Especially considering as it seems it is giving you problems already.

4. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Oi, CF! I resent the fact you thought my post wasn't helpful. See the bold part? That implies that doing as I suggest is safer than running downhill in those circumstances...ergo, running downhill is not good in this case.

5. Red Bull

Red Bull Valued Member

The hills pretty steep. What if rolling down the hill in a sleeping bag causes me to collide with oncoming pedestrians and crash into a wall? Then I'll definately miss the train! :(

6. Lily

Lily Valued Member

That's EXACTLY what i was thinking. That's why I advised you to WAKE UP ON TIME! How simple is that?!!!!!!!

7. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I used to run at the college stadium a little while ago and when I didn't feel like running the steps I would run laps on the inside which had large ramps to get to the next level of the stadium. These ramps came up on both sides (which if you're running across the ramp you'll be going up on one side, down on the other) and were of a decent slope. I found that the best way to run down is to turn around and run down the hill backwards.

8. Red Bull

Red Bull Valued Member

Your brilliance leaves me speechless in all its awesomeness. :D

9. spirez

spirez Valued Member

Running downhill is supposed to be good for you as long as you are out running the hill, ie not breaking yourself and jarring your knees

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2007
  10. Red Bull

Red Bull Valued Member

:confused: But then I'll just keep going faster and faster until I eventually fall on my face.

I've managed to avoid having to run down the hill the whole week and my feet are feeling alot better. Yesterday my ankle was still giving me trouble though. Luckily, the problem seemed to go away over night.

11. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Take it from me that running down steep hills is definately bad for your legs.

12. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Wow, genius right? Waking up on time and not having to run down the hill has solved your problem and in the long run your feet/ankles/legs will love you for it.

13. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Or you could just run backwards!

14. Red Bull

Red Bull Valued Member

Yeah, my question was however not how I can avoid it, but what permanent damage I could be doing to myself, so that I have some idea of what exactly is hurting in my feet.

15. Xav

Xav Valued Member

I used to have pain in my feet when I went running, buying new shoes solve the problem! Good running shoes are quite important

16. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

I think the key thing might be speed/pacing which you'll obviously have to adapt to cope with the decline.

However, like on a bike the temptation is there is just let go and go for it, as fast as you can. DON'T! A friend did this when we were jogging down a bank, he went so fast he couldn't stop in time and smashed into a wall.

We couldn't help him as we were ill with laughter, despite him being hurt (minor injuries only). On the plus side we named the hill after him. :D