Runners thread

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Seventh, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

I've been getting lazy in terms of going out for a run, so I am going to start a log to keep track of myself. I'm not really paying attention to my heart rate or distance covered. My main goal is stop procrastinating and to just go out, and, well, DO IT.

This thread isn't really focused on me though. Any other MAP member is free to post here discussing anything cardio related, be it a nice run you went out for and witnessing some old lady run longer then you (not that has happened to me no....), or maybe something else. Basically anything that is cardio related that doesn't really warrant an entirely new thread. That was the main idea behind the thread. Just decided to pop my thing in too since I'm that selfish :p Just a casual (though serious stuff is welcome) thread for MAP members to shoot the breeze.

Anyways, keep on running forwards!

~Seventh

2. Seventh

Just came back from a run around my neighborhood. Was nice and breezy, and I enjoyed myself. At first I was reluctant to go out, but I'm glad I went out anyways.

3. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

THANKS!
    i was considering not running today, now im gonna go.
    only a mile up hill today!

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I did about 4.5 miles this morning at a decent pace for me. Just at my turn around point I tripped over something hidden in the grass and went flying. Amazingly enough I managed to turn it into a half decent forward roll so only got a few minor scrapes!

I'd like to say I finished the roll and came up on my feet and got straight back into my stride, but actually there was a good deal more swearing and getting up slowly than that, but I'm still counting it as a win!

I've been upping my running recently, to 6, 9 and most recently 10 miles, so next week I think I'm going to mark out a half marathon and run that, just for fun and to see if I can really. It will be flat, on grass, very quiet and extremely slow - if I manage 10 minute miles over that distance I'll be very surprised. Bear in mind my prep for running 10 miles was a particularly strong, hot cup of tea and you'll see I'm not looking to break any records. :D

So if anyone has any advice for me prior to next week, fire away please!

Mitch

5. liero

liero Valued Member

My 400m sprint pb that I'm working on is at 1:16 or a little under.

At the moment I'm doing energy system and power work that involves up go ten laps of full out sprints and short breaks.

My times drop considerably- obviously!

To those who run intervals of that distance often: what's the best way to get through large "reps" of a gut busting running session.

Take it out easy? I thought about this but then I'll ne'er run a hard lap right?

Good idea for thread! Hope this is on topic to what you were thinking...

6. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Same as liero
    ive been doing 500 metre sprints up hill.
    run up, walk back, go again.
    really killer but its great for lowering your 1.5 mile time.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  7. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

thanks for posting. i've decided i'm going to run today too!

for me it's about consistency. when i'm running ~18 miles per week, i feel great and am incredibly strong.

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I've been doing a lot of running lately in preparation for the Worlds. I stay on grass and don't do crazy mileage (10+ miles) because of my hip. I'm focusing more on speed; yesterday I ran 3.5 miles in 24'30" (7 minute miles) followed immediately by 1.5 miles in 10'02" (just over 6.5 minute miles) though I want to get the 1.5 mile section down to less than 9 minutes. On a good day I can do the 1.5 mile on its own in 7'58".

9. Mitch

Those are decent times Dan.

Especially for such little legs :D

When/where/what is the competition?

Mitch

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Har har har! :p

Little legs that can pull out your nose hairs with the toes! ;)

Tournament is actually this weekend down in London. It's the GSKF World Championships. Only a relatively small one like, 'bout half the size of the TAGB Worlds. (So I've been told.) Will be posting up photos and videos after the event for y'all to see! :D

11. Mitch

Best of Luck Dan! Look forward to the photos :) I think a lot of tournaments have shrunk this year due to economics :(

Mitch

12. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Cheers, my good man. True about the economic situation affecting tournaments; suppose that's out of our control though, and we can only fight who turns up on the day!

:D

13. Mitch

You can. I'm too deadly* to compete.

Mitch

*Old**

**Crap.

14. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

The authorities won't let someone as hardcore as you compete, Mitch. It's just unfair on the other athletes.

To deal with your stinky feet, that is!

:D

15. Seventh

[​IMG]

Dare you to show up at the tournament in that :p

16. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

i ran to the grocery store today! (well, yesteday)

going at an easy pace so as not to have my lungs fail on me (like they did when i found out i still had the same running speed as last time i had done regular running), i managed mor or less a kilometer in 8 minutes. need to find a big flat grassy area and see how long it takes me to build up to my prior 5 km in 30 minutes again. stupid lungs.

17. Mitch

That's just my everyday outfit. I have something outrageous for tournaments.

Mitch

18. Seventh

Pictures, now.
    :p

Just came back from walking my dog. Walked her for about a mile. Came back feeling refreshed.

19. Axelator

Axelator Not called Alex.

I started running almost daily a few months ago.

My three mile time is 21:30 seconds at the moment.

I've done it in 20 minutes too but I'm back home from uni right now and the route I run has alot more hills.

20. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Is this with a running club? Don't mind it, the running times. You can shoot for timing and so forth later - you've the Experian Robin Hood coming up in September, I think.

Just get out and have good fun on this one. Its important that ya leave a positive impression in the back of yer mind when you attempt a new milestone, so throw the stopwatch away.

When I did my first ( and only, so far ) half, the two friends I ran with were outpacing me and I was frustrated at that so I made the mistake of picking up my pace over that which I'd been used to training with.

Well, I caught up with 'em; however, I ended up barely able to finish it ( I'd never done any interval training, didn't know to ) and for the first time since I'd started running, I had a negative experience. It must've subconciously lodged in there, 'cause I never did anythin' more'n a 10k afterwards.

Very important: Try'n do your first all by your lonesome...particularly if your best mate is running it with you and he's from Liverpool... "...bloody hellllllah....get ON with it now...bloody hell....d'yer have too many breakfast pizzas this mornin'?...bloody foogin hell"

You get my point ;)