Rules on bringing a Iaito from Japan to the Uk

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by dentoiwamaryu, Jul 31, 2013.

1. dentoiwamaryu

dentoiwamaryu Valued Member

I have a friend/Student who has been training in Japan for a while now and is about to leave. He would like to buy a Iaito from his teacher in Japan and I was wondering if anyone knew if its easy to just bring back if its declared or are there issues and costs?

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

3. dentoiwamaryu

dentoiwamaryu Valued Member

Thanks alot

4. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Be ready for customs checks on age of weapon - they have rules and regs about what comes out - even busted my balls on Fukuro Shinai til I gave them the death stare.

5. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

If it's boxed with "fragile" and "martial arts equipment" prominently displayed on the box, there shouldn't be a problem with it as checked luggage. Be prepared for a "magnet check" when checking in luggage in Japan as shinken have to be properly papered. Try and avoid using the word "sword" at customs. Instead say "aluminum iaito", and only elaborate if asked specifically. While it will be allowed regardless, it helps avoid hassles. :)

6. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Check and double check with customs, then check again.

Despite what the regs say I have known of a few people who have had trouble getting iaito into the country.