Rules in MMA

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Shou Tu, Nov 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

ok why does anyone ask how one style against another would do?

Has anyone actually asked what the rules where?

one rule that has escaped everyone is the fact that in an MMA comp, once a person attempts a takedown the other person has to accept the takedown and not strike the back of the body, neck, head.

hello not reality.

what other rules sway in favor of the MMA/GF'r. look em up and compare to the big we are better and can rule all MMA attitude, to your art. What is reality and what is comp.

so when you watch the next UFC match and the guy goes down from a takedown that looks avoidable its because he has to go down based on the rules.

MMA in my eyes is the Boxing craze of the 20's - 40's. have you noticed that hey talk about styles in ma during UFC like so and so fighter comes out of this camp and he is this type of fighter. like so and so comes from this camp and he fights south paw ewwww that will be effective against the guy he is fighting if he stays away from his jab or TAKEDOWN LOL Right...

UFC is the boxing of the 21st century. if the internet was around during the boxing craze oh they would me making twice a fight if not more what they make now. MMA give it 15 more yrs if not less that fighters are making millions in title bouts.

think about it.... history repeats itself......

ST :woo:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2005
  2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

What a silly thread.

Someone pass the popcorn.

:bang:

3. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

heres the bowl with butter.

4. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

....what?

5. slipthejab

Ok, let's play.

Because they're a n00b, they're a MA geek who's never actually had a punch up in their life, they saw too many Kung Fu action fliks, they have far too much time on their hands... the list can on and on. :D

For MMA matches... most people are fairly clued up what the rules are. It's not like they're a secret.

I don't think this rule has 'escaped' everyone. Most people I know are well aware of it. Just as they are well aware that the vast majority of strikes do not stop a takedown. Even strikes to the back of the body, head and the neck will do relatively little once someone has shot in. The shoot is a very fast route to positional dominance. Once this positional advantage has been reached the leverage and effectiveness of strikes from on ones back are diminished greatly. This can be seen in most MMA matchups.

It is reality... for an MMA comp. It's also fairly close to reality for any situation where the person being taken down doesn't have any groundskills and no clue how to deal with a shoot. Which is to say.. the vast majority of people in stand up striking based arts.

It's really a moot point. A shoot is a shoot whether in a comp or on the street. Have groundskills or risk getting taken down and pounded. Quite simple really.

No it's not. :bang:
    There is nothing saying he can't kick the guy who is shooting right in the face. In fact this has happened on occasion. He can avoid the takedown, he can sprawl, he can try to fend it off by punching and striking... MMA shows that by and large striking is not a very effective way to ward off takedowns.
    Takedowns in MMA are in many ways more forgiving than they would be off the mat... bouncing your head off a mat is a different ball game than bouncing your head off of concrete or asphalt.

It sounds like you don't really have a very strong grasp of MMA or what ring strategy entails. There are guys who defend takedowns rather well - some of them with striking... but many of them use the most effective counters... sprawls and groundwork style defenses.

Mabye so. Maybe not. We won't know until it happens.

How and why did this end up in the Kung Fu forum?! :confused:

6. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

oh god really, this hasnt been a question on the KF forum.

NOOB's happen everyday.......

ok um really the rules um state once a takedown occurs the opponent has to accept it. IF SPRAWL doesnt work what else. gonna attack the back and neck???? if you can kick while wrapped in takedown god show me. Im thinking its to late.

im also staying with my boxing idea of the 21st. even the 20th damn while your up on the kick. and selling the idea.. keep the positive going to MMA. you seem to know so much. but yet know so little.

you cant attack the neck back and head once a takedown has been initiated. once you dont sprawl and accept the takedown you can then attack the head and body not back.

move the damn thread then.

7. Sever

Sever Valued Member

The rules aren't exactly secret, just check the organisation's website. Here's the UFC's rule page and here's Pride FC's one. That's that sorted

This is why people sprawl. Have you seen Mirko Crocop or Chuck Liddell fight? Those guys never "accepted a takedown" in their lives. Check some of the early UFC's or old school vale tudo matches - these strikes to the back of the head and neck did precisely nothing to stop takedowns. Incidentally, no rules state you can't strike the opponent on the way in or even during the takedown, just that you cannot strike the back of the head/ neck or use downward elbows. They don't stop a takedown anyway, so we won't worry about it

As opposed to t3h d34d1y eye-poke of doom, I take it

Hardly. Sprawling, clinchwork, utilising the cage have all been shown as effective ways of stopping a takedown. People would try to elbow Royce Gracie in the back of the neck and he still got them down and Royce's shot is hardly up there with guys like Randy Couture or Matt Hughes
    Yeah, maybe. Big deal

8. slipthejab

I think you missed the point. I was asking why was this posted on the KF forum as opposed to the general forum? :confused: No need to be flippant it only make you appear immature.

As evidenced by the initial post in this thread. ;)
    Again, why so much attitude there tiger? :confused:
    If you didn't want people to respond to the thread why start one? :confused:

errmm.. where does it state this?
    For which MMA format?
    Care to post a link or cite a reference?
    It would help if you could more clearly state your case instead of posting gross generalizations. :bang:

What do you mean by 'accept' it? LOL! :D
    Any fighter has a choice he's either got to avoid it or be taken down.
    He's about to either get pounded or submitted or he avoids it. It's not like the ref is going to step in and stop it because a striker got taken down.

You sound very unclear of the rules.

If the sprawl tactic doesn't work... then there's a slim hope of escaping the takedown... There are only a given handful that can. If you don't avoid the takedown then one should wisely shift into what will work from the guard or on the ground. Common sense really.

I'm curious what you suggest to avoid a takedown under MMA rules? :confused:

I think you're having trouble understanding what I posted. Go back and read it again and come back with some coherent comments. :bang:
    Your response to my post make very little sense. :bang:

Suit yourself. :D

errmm.. What are you talking about? :confused:
    What does 'up on the kick' mean?
    Know so little about what? :confused:
    I don't quite get what your on about. You seem to have more attitude than ability to respond to what I've posted in a manner that makes sense.

err.. obviously... as much was pointed out in my post in addition to the reason why.. I don't see what your getting at.

You really need to learn how to carry a coherent conversation in a forum.
    You have lots of attitude but from what you've posted it seems little understanding of how to go about talking about the issues at hand.

Still not sure why all the attitude. Don't get your panties bunched at a simple question. And get clued up... I'm not a MOD... so I hardly have the ability to move the thread. :bang:

9. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

me either, who did i type all that. . . . . .. um yeah guys. um MMA is the end all to all. and um im sorry if i got something started to offend anyone.

I want everyone to know that I accept everyones closed minded attitude to all fighting arts in the world today... god there heas to be a end to the seperation to the arts the rebellion depends on it. the rebel forces are massing and we have to save the world.

ST

10. Sever

Sever Valued Member

MAP seriously needs a breathalizer function to stop people posting when drunk

11. slipthejab

ROTFLMAO!!

Go home and sleep it off genius.
    Sheesh. :D

12. slipthejab

Agreed...

Shou Tou... you just got....

Attached Files:

13. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Uhhh, try the SEARCH function next time... there are currently two of these threads open, and both of them make much more sense...

14. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

[​IMG]

its always so funny when someone starts an arguement, realises they havent got a leg to stand on, then try and back out while adopting a "I dont even CARE" attitude. GG buddy you lose at life

15. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I think its repeating itself right now, from some time early 2004.

[​IMG]

Trust me, I'm doing you a favour.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.