rules in aikido?

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Jondo, May 17, 2007.

1. Jondo

Jondo New Member

sup one of my sparring friends does aikido, i do TKD. But he says he cant join martial arts tournaments because its not allowed for aikido practicer's or something like that. Is there some code that you guys have to follow or do you just have to tell your sensai what he wants to hear?

2. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Probably his kicks aren't good enough for a TKD tournament. Probably that's why he's not participating.

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Jondo... he's an Aikido practitioner and you want him to enter a TKD competition?
    :confused: :D

4. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

To actually answer the question. No there are no rules stopping him entering a competition. The only thing stopping him is lack of relevant training.

The Bear.

5. slipthejab

I think that perhaps the OP's friend is dealing with two things:

1) his friend may be under the impression that there is no competition in Aikido... which there isn't except for the minority that practice competitive Aikido (Tomiki Aikido I think it's called)

2) his friends sensei may have some rule at his dojo that prohibits him from competing as an Aikidoka in a competition geared towards other sorts of arts.

3) his friend may simply be trying to save face by using his sensei as a reason - as in they backyard spar together and the TKD guy can't figure out why his sparring partner isn't allowed to compete in a TKD comp.

Even more to the point... there are no rules in Aikido that say you can't compete in other style competitions... but I doubt there are going to be any sensei's that are amused that their students are competing in a TKD comp supposedly representing Aikido. I doubt the TKD set would allow anyone who didn't show up with a TKD club affiliation to compete anyhow.

I can see the look of confusion when the Aikidoka shows up at the registration table and puts down that he's with an Aikido club and NOT a TKD club. :p

Last edited: May 17, 2007
  6. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

If I said there were no rules stopping any Aikidoka entering competition would I just be repeating everybody else? :p

It's true there are no rules. But some groups and individuals see it as a taboo subject. Both the Ki Society and Tomiki Aikido groups have competitions. But so far as I'm aware they're nothing like a boxing match. Nobody gets KO'd.

7. Jondo

Jondo New Member

i meant tournaments in general, isnt there some tournament where all styles are allowed?

8. josef

josef Valued Member

I don't know much about it, but I'd suppose an aikidoka would be allowed to enter an MMA or UFC tournament. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think that there's rules in judo against using wrist locks, but that hasn't stopped my friend who trains in both (judo and aikido) using some aikido principles and techniques in matches (just obviously not the illegal locks).

9. SeiserL

SeiserL New Member

IMHO, there are always rules of engagement for any context and usually those rules favor whoever set up the context.

10. slipthejab

There really aren't any tournaments 'in general'. Meaning that most will have a specific rule set. If it's Karate then it's a Karate ruleset... Judo.. a Judo ruleset.
    Etc. etc.

You do have MMA tournaments... but frankly most Aikido practitioners are of a very different mindset than what you get in your average MMA gym. I don't really ever see Aikido holding a big presence in MMA... lol... for that matter any presence in MMA.

That's not a slight against Aikido... I've trained Aikido (not to any amazing level) and have a lot of respect for it. But it's just two very different types of people that I dont' really see ever getting together and saying... yeah let's compete. :p

What was the context that you asked your mate to compete in?
    Was it a TKD tourney?

Last edited: May 21, 2007
  11. prowla

prowla Valued Member

I agree with that; for one, Aikido does not emphasise strikes & kicks, so any points system that rewarded those would favour the other art.
    I do a bit of Aikido, and think it is a perfect complement to Karate. But it's not a competitor.

12. Jondo

Jondo New Member

we need a world martial art tournament (lol not dbz). seriously, all styles allowed no weapons. It should be in Cambodia or somewhere where there are not many safety codes. not saying a gladiator death to the finish, but maybe at the Olympics. instead of the TKD division. how about the weaponless combat division. besides its more about the fighter than the style.(as long as the style is a real one like TKD, Judo, aikido etc. pretty much nothing stupid like CARL-JUTSU)

13. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

There's always Jason Delucia!

I think that's the second time I've said that this week.
    Jason Delucia: The Exception to Every Rule.

14. slipthejab

Hmm... but how much Aikido background does he have?
    How many actual distinctly Aikido techniques does he/has he used in an MMA format?

I'd suspect that it's very little to none but I'm not familiar with him.

15. Jondo

Jondo New Member

MMA DOSENT COUNT

they are all muy thai/ TKD/ kick boxing/ and 90% jujitsu guys who dont look anything like cool fighters. seriously ive never seen a single jump kick or cross chop in MMA have u? i mean common their are no kung fu guys there, there are no really fast guys who jump around the octagon doing bad ass moves. we should just put jet lee in there. Make it actiony.
    ITS BORING ALL THEY DO IS WRESTLE, THATS ALREADY A SPORT AND WHATS WITH THE OCTAGON, HOW BOUT A GRASS FIELD WITH TREES IN IT who says it has to be in a ring. thats probably why it is the way it is. hell even a park would be a better place to fight then an octagon.

16. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

where are you going with this, jondo?

or to rephrase in light of the forum we're in... just who's wrist are you grabbing?

17. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

RULES IN AIKIDO

Rule (1) Do not get hit.
    Rule (2) Align the body
    Rule (3) Strike or cut the attacker off balance
    Rule (4) An unlimited responce to the attack
    Rule (5) Assert control over timing and distance.

Basic principle

Attack at all times show a superior fighting spirit dominate the fighting spirit of the attacker.
    Basic principle
    Fight only when necessary

regards koyo

18. relish

relish Valued Member

They don't look like 'cool' fighters because it just isn't practical to pull out all those crazy jumping kicks that are only ever seen in movies and TKD tournaments, of which neither relate to actual combat very well. There are a few Kung Fu practitioners in MMA but they have realised that in order to win they must drop some Kung Fu techniques and adapt other effective strategies, like GNP.

As for the OP, no to my knowledge there is no such rule; as has been mentioned by everyone else.

If it wasn't in a ring how would they separate the fighters and the crowd effectively? Besides, 'cool' is a subjective description, personally I happen to think that Mike Bisping is very cool :D

19. Mike_101

Mike_101 New Member

What do you mean with rule #4?
    Unlimited?
    I agree with the other rules though.
    I wonder if there should be a #6. Using just enough force to control an attacker, but no more then that, no further harm should be done to him?

Or is that too aiki-fruity? :)

20. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Fight only when necessary could be rule (6) Unlimited responce means technically. Strike throw pin sweep, whatever works.It is MOST difficult to use a control on a determined serious attacker therefor if need be ara waza (severe techniques)

If your aikido philosophy is strong then if it fails it must be under extreme circumstances then the techniques MUST be pragmatic and effective.

If the techniques of an art are ineffective I would question the philosophy behind them.

regards Koyo

Last edited: May 31, 2007