royce vs akebono

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Ikken Hisatsu, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Why would i be so shocking? Royce gas the reputation of being a groundfighter but he isnt an idiot, he will have some sort of plan to deal with Akebono, I dont see how he can succesfully grapple an opponent hat size though but I aint a grappler, if you asked me if I had tofigh someone tat big I would think striking was a better option.

2. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

who is royce training with to prepare him for fighting someone that size?

3. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

No news on who he's training with. So it'll most probably be either some of the Gracie family members, or some close jujitsu friends.

4. redsandpalm

redsandpalm shut your beautiful face

I don't know about that, if there's a doubt as to whether or not he can beat him then he should fight and find out. What makes an athlete legitimate, one he can beat?

5. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

No someone who is really a trained fighter in that arena.

It would be like Royce trying to fight him at Sumo or Royce trying to Box Lenox Lewis.

Anything too far from the mark becomes a spectical or "freak show" I think that is the point that was being made. Bit like Bob Sapp in K1, ok against poor opponents but anyone who is good will pull him apart.

6. redsandpalm

Fair point. It's a freak show I know I'll end up watching though, and you will too, you know you will :D .

7. Sonshu

100% guarentee I will.

8. Sever

Sever Valued Member

I'll watch it, but I'd watch it a lot more if it were Royce v Genki Sudo. I can't believe that fell through :cry:

9. semphoon

semphoon walk idiot, walk.

Like Mr Perfect Hoost pulled apart Sapp? :D

10. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Akebono is a sumo; who's size is important to the sport.

I'm definatly going to watch the fight! I'm looking forward to it, but i would have much prefered to see Royce Gracie vs Genki Sudo like originally rumoured.

11. redsandpalm

Try to think of it as Royce Gracie vs 3 Genki Sudos tied together into a ball.

12. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

But Akebono doesn't have nearly half as much as grappling, or striking skills as Genki Sudo. When you watch Sudo fight, you know your in for a class A act.

Akebono really isn't the best puncher.

13. Sonshu

Still at his size and weight he does not need to be.

Also neither is Royce

14. Origami Itto

Origami Itto Walking Paths

Is this going to be the definitive proof of strength/technique superiority over each other?

As for Royce fighting standing up, i remember watching a clip of Igor Vovchanchyn (spelling???) fighting what could have only been a sumo wrestler. He just treated him like a heavy bag and combo'ed him all the way down. I don't know much about Igor though i think he is a dedicated striker, so Royce will have a harder time doing this. In any case, like Slindsday said, Royce is not an idiot He either has a plan or decided to die in battle :D.

This is the first time that i am going to have to disagree with Yoda (please don't ban me!). I don't think this is a 'freak show' and i have even watched Tod Browning's Freaks a couple of days ago! Sure, it doesn't look very professional but it does feel very martial-artsy. In fact it is a classic movie (or maybe even videogame) fight, not very different from Bruce Lee fighting a guy of double his height. Lots of people will want to see this fight and genuinely want to see how (if...) Royce is going to win this one. Besides every grappler must have wondered at least one time in their lives if they can use their techniques on a bodybuilder or just plain huge guy. Hmm, i can see a thread here...

15. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Royce is indeed a smart man. He has alot of endurance.

But I can guarantee you that this plan will not involve training to knock Akebono out on whilst his feet.

Edit: I've just read that apparently there will be no time limit on the fight, and no referee stoppage.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2004
  16. cybermonk

cybermonk New Member

That might give royce the advantage, maybe it is possible after all.

17. Sever

Sever Valued Member

No referee stoppage? This isn't a good idea by Royce...

18. cybermonk

cybermonk New Member

I think he plans to run around the ring until akebono gets tired out and then try to beat him.

19. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Wouldn't supprise me! :D

I had a feeling they'd be special rules for the fight. It certianally isn't unheard of that Royce requests special rules before he accepts the fight.

20. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Why have I got the Gladiator scene from "The Life of Brian" running in my head when i read this? :D

I love Royce! "Heez da man!" and I think this is a very interesting fight. My heart screams for Royce, but my head says "when is big TOO big?"

what the hell, i'll go for the "skinny kid from Rio"