Row VS Chin Up

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by gornex, Apr 17, 2007.

1. gornex

gornex Valued Member

Hey, i feel that i have neglected my lats a little bit and i am going to try and work them a little more. I do chin ups and rows but i am confident i can work them harder then i do now. I was just wondering which is the better exercise for working the lats. I figure for all around strength the chin ups are much better, but if i wana target the lats more, which exercise should i concentrate on?

2. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

1 arm DB rows

3. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

cant beat a good few sets of chins...
    i love low pulley rows but my lats have come along well since i started chinning

4. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Depends really. How much weight are you strapping for the chins? If you are still working bodyweight, then dumbell rows are the go, if you are strapping some decent weight, then focus on increasing that.

5. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I think wide grip pull ups use the lats more and close grip chin ups use the biceps the most.

Skin the cats and front levers I imagine would hurt the lats.

6. wynnema

wynnema Valued Member

pull ups anyday. its a much more natural movement and they are harder. also if you like to grease the groove you can do them pretty much anywhere.

7. gornex

gornex Valued Member

right now i am only at 27.5 pounds for sets of 5. I just started out so i have a long way to go.

8. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Seconded. Seated cable rows are another top exercise purely for the lats, rhomboids and lower traps.

Chest supported rows are probably second best to chins IMO for overall back development.

9. Proeliator

Proeliator New Member

For balanced strength I would suggest vertical and horizontal pulling motions. 1 arm DB rows are on of my favorites due to the fact you can correct any strength imbalances that may have occurred due to bilateral movements. There are also many different versions of the pull up you can choose from as well.

10. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Skinning the cat i asking for an injury :p
    Wide grip chins only serve to limit your ROM. Overhand chins are best for back and forearm whereas undergrasp tend to hit biceps and lats more, at least if I remember correctly.

Dumbell Rows rock, especially if you can't chin very well or have a muscle imbalance.

11. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

I'm with Adam; I <3 chest supported rows and seated cable rows.

12. Socrastein

Socrastein The Boxing Philosopher

Don't forget heavy deadlifts.