Routine suggestions, thoughts

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by flaming, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

With that attitude, you'll never make progress!

You will never be able to get good form on an exercise if all you do is lift broomsticks etc - ultra light weights do not provide the feedback necessary to learn good form.

Seriously, you are not capable of judging your own form. Put T-Nation down and step away from the internet!

In your case I highly recommend going to a gym and getting someone to teach you what to do.

2. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

Well if you find it hard with free weights there are always gyms with lots of machines, though I went to a couple for years and didn't get any stronger, no matter how many reps/sets, correct placement, breathing and determination.

Pullups and upper body strength is shown by many gymnasts, maybe this would be more your thing? I don't know if they also do weights but suspect the majority do.

even Olympic athletes like Jessica Ennis don't have perfect form, but work at improving it while still practicing, throwing, jumping, running, whatever, the risk is you pick up an injury now and again but it's the same for anyone trying.

I would love to be able to throw properly in Randori like I do in practice, but instead have to go through a painful and humiliating process of defeats by stronger more experienced girls (never mind the guys) just to pick up tiny bits of improvement in technique. Lifting was sweaty but easier believe me!

3. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Thanks for making me realize I'm being stupid.
    I will look for a coach. Is there anywhere that does olympic lifting in the north West?

Today

Squats 3x5 I did a few to warmup
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QQcrxZ5UqI"]MVI 4898 - YouTube[/ame]
    OHP 3x5
    Dead lift 1x5
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RglFtQILpw"]MVI 4912 - YouTube[/ame]

and chin ups
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAnVb21Nr4w"]MVI 4899 - YouTube[/ame]

pull ups
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEYgfV5v4Kw"]MVI 4914 - YouTube[/ame]

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Flaming, if you have additional weight, then stick it on the bar.

In the first two videos you have no weight and yet you are still adjusting looking for the perfect form.

Load the bar up and worry less about form. With weight on the bar you'll have stabilising muscles firing off that'll keep you in check.

You'll have no choice but to be strong and structured.

I think we have too many "check my form" threads, but I'm more old school.

Get in the gym, lift and get out. No fancy machines, no shiny new trainers or gym kit, just baggies, a bottle of water and some metal.

5. Frodocious

Whereabouts in the north west are you? There is Oly lifting up here but it depends where you are.

6. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Same question: where you at?

7. Mangosteen

Actually. You don't need an o lifting club to progress. Bread and butter mate - squat with weight
    If you dunno how, ask the guy with the biggest legs in the gym to teach you

Same for any exercise

8. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

what simon said. hell, weight CHANGES your form, because it overpowers your weaker muscles. 99% of humanity can't front squat without weight, because the tonus of their forearm muscles prevents them from getting the bar in the right place, AND the weight is not enough for them to squat upright. take a look at what your front squat looks like (notice you can barely get past parallel), and what a front squat done with weight looks like:

[​IMG]

got 20 or 30 kilos on that bar and then we'll talk (might wanna buy some rubber blocks where you can dump the bar just in case. 1-inch-thick EVA foam blocks about 50x60 cm should do). and you don't need proper technique to clean it up to your shoulders either. just ask zaad about my lack of technique on them :p

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  9. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Ok i'll try them with the extra 30Kg. I tried curling the bar with the extra plates on and I couldn't :eek: I'll try a high pull.

I'm in Prescot. I go into Liverpool a few times a week. I'll see if the Liverpool uni gym has free weights.

10. Frodocious

It does have free weights, but I'm not sure about the quality of the instructors they have.

If you're prepared to travel a little, there is an excellent place on the Wirral. Their Oly lifting coaches are awesome and one of them is a British Junior Powerlifting champion. It's about 5 mins walk from Hoylake station and it would be worth your while making the effort to travel there.

http://theuts.co.uk/

11. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Thanks but that is further than I'd like to travel. I'll search a bit more.

12. Frodocious

Try seeing if John Moores offer any training because several of the staff from that place work at JMU. However, for quality training with your issues, it would be worth travelling to Hoylake, even one day a week for a technique session.

13. Mangosteen

here's a list of powerlifting gyms.
    liverpool has 2. im assuming the Gym 21 (L7 postcode) is quite close to the city centre.

make it there twice a week and learn how to back squat

14. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Does this place look ok? It's near to me.
    http://www.bodytorquegym.com/#!hom/mainPage

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=K4PbqGnWy_U"]Top 5 strength exercises - YouTube[/ame]

I searched through videos of clean and presses on youtube and all of them had slightly rounded backs. Isn't that dangerous?

15. Fish Of Doom

16. Fish Of Doom

the place looks good to me :)

17. Mangosteen

They have kegs ropes and a rack.

Go there.
    Home training a power clean is hard. Especially pendlay style. The Uk Is all about triple extension.

18. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

19. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I tried the strength and conditioning session today. It involved kettle bell swings, rope climbs and pushing and pulling a car. I'm thinking of doing that again on Saturdays and the free running on Thursdays mainly because I enjoy them. With 2 days strength training.
    Doing squats, presses and dead lifts twice a week.

20. Frodocious

Did you get decent technique advice from the instructors?