Routine suggestions, thoughts

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by flaming, Nov 5, 2012.

1. flaming

flaming Valued Member

3 days a week
    Aims increase strength and mobility and get leaner but I think that's more diet, and from what I understand replacing carbs with vegetables and meat and reducing calories should do that.

warmup
    glute bridges
    N-sits
    Deadbugs
    goblet squats

Workout
    pullups small rest then chinups 4 sets
    romanian deadlifts 3 sets
    pushups 3 sets

Cardio
    10 mins skipping

1 day a week free running class

2. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

3. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

mate, you're lean enough. saw that in the pull up vid.

eat. eat more.

your workouts dont need any warm ups that are so varied. the bar it the warm up.

it's taken me a long time to realise the use of bread and butter work.

Do push ups when you're finished each work out

monday:
    Push - OHP
    pull - DB Row
    push - DB Bench
    squat

wednesday:
    pull - High Pull
    push - DB Bench
    pull - DB Row
    squat

Friday:
    squat
    pull - High Pull
    push - OHP
    Deadlift

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  4. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Stop reading things that aren't relevant to your current strength and experience level, stop faffing about worrying whether or not your left pinkie finger is 3.78475mm out of alignment when doing pullups, do a respected strength programme like Starting Strength or Stronglifts or what Zaad suggested, sort out your diet and, if you really want to work on mobility, do Defranco's Agile 8 and Simple 6 a few times a week.

5. Mangosteen

Can you squat body weight?
    Can you OHP half body weight?
    If yes then congrats you've reached noob standards. You need to get stronger.
    Body weight overhead press and double squat. Eat to up your body weight by 20kg and get them noob gains.

Starting cutting fat when you have a comp.
    Until then; eat, drink and be merry. Lift heavier/faster/more reps than last time and then you'll eventually your goal

6. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I mainly want to improve pull ups shouldn't I do them more often like at least 3 times a week.

How about:

A
    Pullups
    Squats
    Dumbbell press

B
    Inverted rows
    Dips
    Dead lift

7. Mangosteen

do starting strength. after each work out add a couple sets of pull ups

8. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

why ? to what aim ? do you want to be the world champion at pull ups or do you want to be stronger ? if its the first one do what ever badly crafted random routine you like but what was the point in asking for advice in the first place ? if you want to be stronger get yourself onto an oly bar and do starting strength or similar.

9. Frodocious

10. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

squat ATG, press overhead, deadlift from the floor, and do whatever kind of pulling you like (chins, pulls, rows)

repeat for 3 months while eating like a horse.

11. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Thanks for all the input i'm not trying to be awkward. I see pull ups as more useful than other exercises.

I looked a bit closer at the starting strength wikia. I'm not sure I should be pressing overhead if I don't know whether I squat or dead lift correctly. I haven't got a bench so I thought dips could replace them.

The 2nd edition novice for me would be
    A
    Squats 3x5
    Dumbbell press 3x5
    Dead lift 1x5

B
    Squats 3x5
    Dips 3x5
    Dead lift 1x5

Then some other time of day or afterwards the pullups/chin ups/rows.

I'll post a video of attempting squats and dead lifts.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  12. Frodocious

:bang: Honestly flaming, stop overanalysing things. Pressing overhead is not really that hard or problematic (unless you have pre-existing shoulder issues). Stop reading T-Nation articles (or any other training articles) because you seem to be incapable of processing the information in context and end up spending far too much time obsessing over irrelevant details.

Just start lifting heavy things. If you feel the need to post videos do so, but stop trying to apply things you've read to your own form because, from a lot of what you post, it is obvious that you are not understanding what it is that is they are on about and the relative importance of the exercises in a routine.

If you had been training hard and consistently from the time you posted your front squat video several years ago, you'd be a beast by now. Instead (from your posts on here) you seem to spend your time obsessing about ridiculous form issues, corrective exercises and mobility drills. Yes, these can be important, but if you want to get stronger and fitter you need to train hard (and sensibly) and stop thinking you know more than the people on this board who are telling you how to train.

I'm sorry if this is harsh, but you don't seem to be getting the message that everyone who has responded to you is trying to tell you.

If you want to faff about and obsess over some of these things, feel free to do so, but stop asking for help from people and then ignoring what they say to you and trying to impress people with your 'knowledge' of the 'Tao of Eric Cressey' - you do know that he picks up heavy weights occasionally, don't you?!

13. Mangosteen

if you think pull ups are more useful than squats then good luck with your s&c

dont do your own stupid version of starting strength. you dont need to deadlift 3 times a week.

If you want to increase your pull ups for free-running/parkour then i'd highly recommend high pulls, they are one of the main contributing factors in the INSANE vertical jump that olympic lifters have (higher than any other athlete) and will transfer well to your parkour.

Workout A
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench Press - Replace with dumbbell floor press
    1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Press - Barbell Press
    5x3 Power cleans - Replace with high pulls, they're easier and you can go heavier. If you want you can power clean but learning the catch can be hard.

AFTER each workout do a few sets of pull ups and dips. i usually do 3 sets of each

Workouts A and B alternate on 3 non-consecutive days per week.

Now really. stick to that program, be quiet and we'll see your results in a year.
    Alternatively, do whatever crappy mess of a program you conceive and come back in a year. guarantee we'll be much stronger and you'll be mediocrely stronger

14. Mangosteen

he's been asking about squat form since 2007!

why are you not HOOOUGE!

15. Fish Of Doom

what they said. GO LIFT.

16. Fish Of Doom

and you can't learn to do a fricking movement if you don't fricking go and do it!

SQUAT, PRESS, PULL, DEADLIFT. that's it. every session, at least 2x a week, for three months, 1x5 on the deadlift, at least 3x5 on everything else, but for god's sake GO AND DO IT ALREADY.

17. Mangosteen

assuming he has been deadlifting since 2007 i dont see the point in learning deadlift form and doing it 3 times a week!
    it should be pretty ingrained!

18. Fish Of Doom

assuming kills. the point is to get him to lift, not to learn technique.

19. Frodocious

Flaming, if you really want technique advice I would highly recommend getting yourself to a reputable gym with qualified instructors (not crappy 'personal trainers') and asking them to coach you on technique. You have demonstrated that you are not able to take what you watch from a video/read in an article and put it into practice (as shown in your inverted row attempts).

Go and see a professional - a decent instructor should also be able to do an assessment on you to see if you need to be doing all those corrective exercises and be able to tell which of them you might benefit from.

What are your current lift numbers like?

20. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Lift numbers nothing I give up when I judge my form is bad and then try again.