Routine for the completely unfit?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Knight_Errant, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Shall we just say that I completely let myself go, and am now so unfit that I get out of breath when I walk up a hill?
    What do I need to do to start getting fit again? Should I start running? do pushups? weights?

2. Sankaku-jime

Sankaku-jime Banned Banned

I know the feeling, I have let myself go recently,

My only advice would be to do anything, anything is better than nothing, a good alround exercise is swimming, just do anything thats enjoyable.

3. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Exercise and Diet.

Weights are good, the more muscle you build the easier it is to burn excess fat, combine this with some form of cardio and you'll find the weight comes off.

Concentrate on a healthy diet, watch your calorie intake and don't starve yourself.

Have a bit of patience, it takes time to get back in shape.

n.b. I kind of assumed that by being unfit you also gained some fat, as it happens to most of us. If not just ignore the stuff about losing fat, but still take up the advice, it's good for the majority.

4. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

start somewhere. don't go gung ho at first because you'll get fustrated to easily. start slow and work your way back up.1) DIET 2) cardio 3) weights

5. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

My fitness has plummeted recently too, owing to only conentrating on the weights. I've recently started doing this to help balance things out again:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

It's a good starter plan that takes you from sitting on the couch all day up to running 5K, 3 times a week.

6. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

OK, thanks guys.

7. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Hey im unfit too! Thats a great page. Im going get cracking on it right away! :D

Last edited: Oct 26, 2006
  8. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Good luck with it! I'm having my third run tonight. Despite being rubbish at it, I'm actually really looking forward to it. :)

9. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

I might try one of those plans. Running is profanity to me :yeleyes: Need to start :cry:

Swimming I'd recommend, and the running program :) Maybe a little time set asside for weights but don't over do it :cool: