Routine for martial arts.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by _sam_, Mar 1, 2011.

1. _sam_

_sam_ Valued Member

Sorry guys i know this has probably been asked a 1000 times in one form or another but i'd like some advice regarding weight training and martial arts, specifically thai/kick boxing. Ive put thai/kick boxing as the new place i'm training at teaches a form of philipino kickboxing and it seems to be a mix of both, graded in belts but has a strong thai boxing element to the style. Our instuctor said in the philipines its called 'dirty boxing' and i think ive finally found a style that suits me.

I'm pretty much still running 5/3/1 but having decided i want to compete at kickboxing i was wondering whether i need to change my routine or not. I train 2 nights per week now, but will add another day for sparring in 3 months or so ( i cant spar here until i earn my first belt) and i train 4 days per week with weights so 2 of the kickboxing sessions are falling on the same days i lift.

Would a 3 day full body split work better? That way i'd lift monday, wednesday, friday and go kickboxing tuesdays and thursdays, leaving the weekend as rest days. (until the sparring starts in 3 months)

Any advice would be great lads cheers.

Sam

2. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

I do a two day split with 3/4 training days. I'm on a 5x5 routine and I usually do upperbody oneday then lower body the next. It's working for me since I am gaining mass, but not leaving me to weak for training

3. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

5/3/1 can still work three days a week. First week, press-deadlift-bench. Second week, squat-press-deadlift. Third week bench-squat-press. Fourth week deadlift-bench-squat. You basically took 3 weeks of workouts and pushed them into 4. Wendler mentions it in his book and it works well, it's actually the route I took when I was using 5/3/1 as four days a week in the gym was too much for me.

4. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

Good info, would you suggest the same route for someone lifting only twice a week?

5. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

In his book he actually advocates combining the lifts if you train twice a week, so you would press-deadlift one day, bench-squat the next. I found though that if you train 5/3/1 twice a week, there's really no need for a deload week.

6. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

He talks about that here:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online...and_chalk_vol_9_jim_wendler_talks_big_weights

And Tony using 531 for twice a week lifters:
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/531_reloaded&cr=

An idea i've been toying with for a3day week schedule is doing:

Monday: squats, box jumps, sprints

Wed: full body weights I'm sure you get it.

Friday Deadlift, push press, and oly lifts.

So you got lower body strength and explosive monday, full body strength wed and strength and explosiveness Friday.

7. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

Awesome article. I'll be switching to that next week!