Rousey vs. McMann, predictions?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Combat Sports, Dec 30, 2013.

1. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

The extent of the knicker-twisting over Ronda's completely transparent marketing decision to make a heel turn is amazing. Never has "copy Chael Sonnen more or less word-for-word" seemed like a greater stroke of genius.

2. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

No. That actually has nothing to do with it. You are talking about a clinch war that went on for less then a minute. Sara was hitting Ronda with solid shots repeatedly from that clinch.

3. Combat Sports

Was not defending herself, for less then two seconds. Barely one.

Furthermore, I am speaking from the facts. I reviewed the fight over a dozen times and then paused it after every exchange. After Ronda's lucky liver shot Herb is in the frame running over there to stop the fight before Sara has even hit the ground.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  4. Combat Sports

That is absolutely ridiculous. I participate in these sports. My children do. If they are in serious danger then stop it. But robbing a fighter of the months of their lives they spent training is also terrible, and can end careers just as fast as getting injured.

I remember the TUF season for "comebacks" so many of those guys were people who's careers were basically ended by stupid referees.

5. Combat Sports

I have had victories that I worked months for taken from me by issues with rules and officials. It ended my motivation to train at all for over a year.

You set up a false dichotomy when you suggest that the alternative is a super late stoppage. (Like the other one Herb Dean did that same night. Sheer incompetence.) A fair stoppage is fine.

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Since spoilers are off...

[​IMG]

She was done - no resistance, no defense and no protest or sign of fight even when Dean had stopped it. Had he let it go it would have been a KO or else armbar city because McMann literally had nothing to offer in reply

Haters gonna keep on hating, but that's because Ronda gonna keep on winning

[​IMG]

7. Combat Sports

I have no problem with Ronda winning, when she actually wins. This assumption of bias is absurd. I was disappointed that Tate lost too, but you didn't catch me screaming to the high winds that it was a scandal. Ronda got her, end of story.

I don't feel that is what happened here. And I hope that Sara gets a rematch to prove it.

8. Hannibal

She was trounced quickly inside 1 rd...what's to rematch?

9. Hannibal

For every person saying "too soon" there is another saying "fair stoppage" - so it was probably the right call

10. Combat Sports

Trounced? By a one in a million shot?

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

11. Hannibal

Controlled + positioned + KO'd + barely a sweat broken = trounced

12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

The Gracie breakdown on this made a fair point.
    After the knee McMann was essentially in Ronda's playground at that point.
    Turtled up and in obvious pain.
    Perfect set up for a juji-roll.
    If the fight wasn't stopped then Ronda would have been on that juji-gatame like Roy Nelson on the all-you-can-eat buffet.

So in some ways I now feel a little annoyed that the fight should have gone on and kept that armbar series intact. :)

13. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

You don't think a fighter on the ground unable to even lift a hand to cover her head was in serious danger?

You seem to think that refereeing is easy. You're wrong.

14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

And having just watched the end multiple times going for a takedown or single leg was the furthest thing from McMann's mind.
    She was in shock plain and simple and wasn'ty moving at all.

15. Combat Sports

Again, for less then two seconds. People get knocked down and rocked and get up and win fights all the time.

16. Combat Sports

I have already said we will have to agree to disagree. You posting in retort after that does not suddenly mean you "win" the debate.

Trounced in my view would mean that Ronda didn't take all of those face shots she took from strong punches, including one that blasted her out of the clinch, and that all of her failed throw attempts actually succeeded. And that's not what happened.

Controlled? Are you controlling someone when they are blasting you with heavy punches regularly? Are you controlling someone when you cannot throw them? Sara was able to launch offense of her own through the entire exchange.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  17. Combat Sports

Honestly, the Gracie Breakdown? So we are suggesting "good points" from Renner Gracie who happens to be Rousey's grappling corner man (and one of the big marketing people from Gracie JJ) is somehow not biased?

18. Combat Sports

For less then two seconds. It happens all the time, and victories frequently can come for the person who had been knocked down.

I never said I thought refereeing is easy. Straw man.

19. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Did you not see how looking at the fight like that is a case for allowing it to go longer?
    And thus supporting your view that is was stopped early?

20. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yes but I've seen people say that Mcmann was poised for takedown (on other forums too).
    She wasn't poised for anything.
    Here's the end so we all know what we are talking about.

[​IMG]