Rousey vs. McMann, predictions?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Combat Sports, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

I had that same feeling. But Edmund comes across as kind of a nut most of the time.

2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Who is next for Rousey?

I don't think that Cyborg is immediate. Too long to prove she can make weight at 135. Zingano has health issues AND the recent death of her husband.

Davis? I am a fan of hers, but she didn't show me she could beat Rousey last night. (I was disappointed in that fight last night.) I don't think she is ready yet. I dunno, maybe last night was just a bad outing for her and I shouldn't judge on that one fight, but I just don't think it would be competitive yet. Maybe in the future.

Who? I can't think of a name...........

3. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

When have you ever seen Rousey go to knee strikes like that before? She explained watching the tapes and seeing something she could use to her advantage, then used that in a way we have never seen her do in her fights before.

Don't you think your Rousey hate is coloring your thinking about this rationally?

4. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Rousey's knees were in a completely different league to Mcmann's. McMann was throwing knees to be busy, Rousey was throwing knees to do harm. They were WAY more explosive.There has been very little wrong with Rousey's boxing in her last two fights, her punching has been crisp and very accurate. She's not throwing bombs, but that doesn't make it bad boxing. The boxing game she's developing is more Diaz than Rampage, that's all. All the stupid chat after the Tate fight about disparity in striking (in fight commentary included) ignored the fact that Tate's shots were all scuffs whereas Rousey's shots were all on the button. In this fight McMann got a couple of good shots in but again most of it was scuffed or half blocked whereas the bulk of Rousey's shots landed cleanly, if not powerfully (but she wasn't really throwing power shots)

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I always laugh at the "yeah but X had teh better striking" when X lost - and lost badly

Rousey has trounced pretty much everyone she has fought - I don;t care how much "better" their striking was or how shinier their shorts were...they lost - and not to a judge, a ref or anything else...they just got their ass beat

This was in no way a bad call. McMann had nothing to offer defense wise and was out of the fight

Nest for Rousey? Hollywood and more money than she could ever make in martial arts

6. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

You reckon? She strikes me as the type of person that gets too much of a high over being top dog, so I would assume she'd have a few more years beating people into submission.

On a nice note though, it was kinda cool to see her win without going for the arm bar.

7. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I suppose it depends on if Dana starts paying her to stick around - Daniel Cormier got paid more for his fight than Ronda did - how the hell can you justify paying Cormier more for his LHW debut against a nobody than Ronda Rousey in a title fight against an undefeated Olympic medallist?

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

[​IMG]

Complaining that Rousey's striking is poor is like complaining that Anderson Silva's Judo is poor.
    Different skill sets. Bringing differnet things to MMA. It's kinda what makes MMA interesting innit?
    I'd rather watch Rousey do what she does than all of the wrestle boxer clones the UFC has.
    Sure she gets hit quite a bit going into a clinch but then her opponenst seem to get thrown quite a bit thereafter. Why is no one saying Tate's judo sucks just as bad as Rousey's striking?
    Anyway...the UFC women need to take note. You avoid Rousey's throws you'll get kneed instead.
    I think the fight could have gone 3-5 seconds longer but I don't think the result would be any different.
    And for the record...I don't think Rousey's look is an act. I think she clearly has a mean streak a mile wide and is all business in the cage.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  9. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Thanks for noticing! LOL

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Criticisms of Rousey's striking are very relevant actually, imo. McMann was getting punched from Rousey. Rousey's punches look weak as hell. They were (in all likelihood) doing no real damage. Remember that McMann was dropped with a liver shot, she wasn't dinged in the head and out cold. McMann was in no danger and was already getting back to her feet when Dean jumped in. Those extra 3-5 seconds could have given a wrestler of her pedigree the opportunity to shoot in for a monster double leg. Or hell, she could have started trading punches and made Rousey's face swell up even more. I say the boxing exchanges were all McMann. Knee strikes don't take much effort to learn and are pretty simple to insert into a fight. Sure, McMann needs to improve her stand-up clinch game. But the way some of y'all are going on, you make it sound like Rousey is the next Baukaw. I'd put Rousey's liver shot in the same category as Weidman's leg check against Anderson Silva - nasty, but a bit of a fluke. This title fight stoppage was all Herb Dean.

11. Kave

Kave Lunatic

I disagree that the knee was a fluke, the knees were very clearly a gameplan that Rhonda was executing. McMann wasn't dropped by a knee to the body, she was dropped by cumulative damage from multiple knees to the body. In the post-fight interview Rousey claimed "I promised my coach that I would do it, I really did. I promised that I would drop her with a body shot. I've been working on it so hard for this camp. We knew that she's a wrestler and she was going to be more bent over all the time".

12. holyheadjch

How was the knee a fluke? She threw a knee at the liver, the knee hit the liver. She did it two or three times in that clinch.

I agree that McMann was looking by far the more dangerous in the stand-up, but what does that matter if she doesn't disengage from the clinch? She was worried about the takedown and didn't respect Rousey enough to properly defend the strikes and she got dropped and she got stopped.

13. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Course you did, Ronda. Course you did. :rolleyes:

Not for one second do I think Ronda is a hard case. I bet she thinks she is. But the woman is delusional after all. This is the same person who thinks she has the best striking in WMMA. Not at 135, but WMMA as a whole.

http://mmajunkie.com/2014/02/feared-grappler-ronda-rousey-im-also-the-best-striker/

14. holyheadjch

You don't think Ronda Rousey is a hard case?

And she's delusional?

15. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I always feel like the old school cliche of a house wife trying to be "part of the gang" watching sports and commenting when I come look at/post in these threads. First I wanted to see if Rousey won, then I saw the pic. with her compared to the cat and immediately thought "aww, that's adorable!." I didn't even care about the content of the thread after that. Then I ripped some chest hair out to feel manly again.

I need to get up on some interviews with her. I don't know what anyone is talking about with the spoiled crybaby stuff.

16. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Could of gone on a bit longer but still not a bad stop imo. The saltiness over it seems to stem from a lot of people not liking Rousey, and the fact lots of people expected this to be an epic battle of the olympic grapplers and then it ended quick.

As far as her pout goes I think its real. I can imagine its an accurate portrayal of how she feels when she's going to fight. Now for an over the top and outright dumb mean face you need to look to Diego Sanchez. Dunno why people like his constipated shrew staredowns

17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Oh sure...what about against a damn olympic silver medal winning wrestler though!?
    Simple then? No effort? No way.

Your definition of hard case is different to mine it seems.
    You don't get an olympic judo medal without being a hard case IMHO.
    Rousey has displayed time and again the ability to drop other women on the deck, break arms, is undefeated in professional MMA and the current UFC champion.
    How much harder do you want her to be?!?
    I don't know what else she could do to convince you that she has at least some degree of bottle.
    If she was called Bob Rousey and had achieved all that I think you'd feel different.

18. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

No, I don't think she's a hard case. Not a genuine one anyway. Sure she's got skill and determination. But she acts like she's the most dangerous woman on the planet. The praise showered on her by Dana has made her believe her own hype. Real hard cases are found in places like prisons. Ronda is a small part of the bigger issue I have with athletes calling themselves "warriors" or "badass" and the like. There's a different kind of toughness between the safety of the Octagon and being in a warzone or dealing with a knife attack on the street.

And yes. She is extremely delusional if she thinks her striking is the best in WMMA. It's actually one of the worst. Hell, this woman thinks she could beat Cain Velasquez. What?!

If a second-rate striker like Ronda can do them (and calling her second-rate is a compliment) then pretty much anyone can.

When I fought Thai guys the knee was one of the easiest things to stuff. Granted, that says a lot about McMann's defence. Ronda got her good. No doubt. But it wasn't the amazeballs display of striking skill a lot of people keep going on about.

You get an Olympic medal by training hard. Doesn't make you a hard case.

Again, the result of correct preparation. Doesn't make her this badass she likes to portray herself as.

The moody pout is uncalled for. GSP reigned for a long time without being a douchebag. Ronda is putting it on imo, otherwise she wouldn't be "lovable Ronda" the rest of the time.

Pulling out the sexism card is just weak, man. I was a huge Ronda fan in the beginning. Hell, she's one of the reasons I got into judo. But my opinion of her changed as her attitude changed from a likeable rogue into a grade A asshat. I just can't fathom why everyone is jumping on the Rousey Bandwagon and hailing her striking as something it clearly isn't. Do you actually agree with her opinion she's the best striker in WMMA?

For the record, I'm a much bigger fan of WMMA than men's.

19. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Wasn't meant to be a sexism card...more an attempt at an "anti-rousey" card.
    Trying to show you that your dislike of Rousey is colouring your appreciation of her skills.
    Apologies.
    I see countless male undercard fighters that can't hold a light to Rousey's implementation of her skills in the cage and yet they don't attract nearly as much flak.
    Demian Maia's striking was much worse than Rousey's I thought. Where's his flak?

Absolutely not. It's probably Holm, Herrig or someone like that perhaps?
    BUT...I don't really care who the best "niche" is in MMA.
    Who's the best at MMA?
    Her striking isn't the best, but, it's come a long way in a short time and she's dovetailing it into her existing skillset very effectively.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  20. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Honestly...if someone can break Tate's arm like Rousey did I think that shows a willingness to go beyond just preparation and is into nasty streak territory.
    Perhaps no more nasty than an average fighter but that streak is there for sure.