Rousey vs. McMann, predictions?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Combat Sports, Dec 30, 2013.

1. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Yeah. 60-50/40-50 for Ronda (W) vs Sarah and of that 60/40 submission vs strikes - so, I'd say yes - most likely

2. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

I think I just witnessed another reason to dislike Herb Dean even more then I already did. That stoppage was nonsense. McMann being the class act she is fought to keep her composure when talking about it. That fight was crap.

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Can't wait for the conspiracy theorists talk about Herb Dean being under pressure from Dana to halt the fight at every opportunity, to protect Ronda.

Thing is, after that, I'm inclined to agree with them. Rubbish fight.

4. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Boy, did you call that one right!

5. aaradia

I am not so sure it was a terrible call. I keep going back and forth on it. McMann was definitely dropped and defensless for a few seconds. She only tried to get up AFTER Dean stopped it.

However, the more I think about it, the more I think a few more seconds to see if she could recover could have been spared without Rousey causing serious damage.

I go from not a bad call at all to not the best call. But I definitely don't think it was an AWEFUL call.

Rousey is definitely improving in her stirking game. She said she had it in her game plan to go for the liver. It wasn't a fluke hit.

But I was really hoping to see Judo Vs Wrestling and didn't get that. So that was sort of disappointing.

I hope and believe that McMann can work her way into another title fight. I think I would like to see a rematch. But not immediately.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  6. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

I think Herbs' call was not terrible. McCann was definitely down and unable to fight for a few seconds at least, but Herb still went in too quickly IMO.

That fight was just depressing though. Over before it started, no showcase of judo vs wrestling (which I wanted to see), not really worth the hype.

Rousey's knees are looking quite good but she is still terrible with her hands - I think what really helped her win this though was that she was more aggressive.

7. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Dean's early stoppage was frustrating because (I believe) McMann would have busted Rousey's face wide open with her hands on the way to a dominant victory. Now we get to enjoy 6-12 months of Dana's Rousey nut(?)hugging and Rousey posing like a moody teenager. Does anyone seriously buy her ****ed off face? She's a terrible actress.

Yes. I hate her.

8. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I thought it was a decent stoppage. She'd been dropped by the shot, had hands and head on the mat and had eaten 4 undefended shots. Yes she was trying to get up, but because her legs had gone she was using her hands to get up which meant she was just going to eat more head shots. By definition she wasn't intelligently defending herself. Certainly a better stoppage than Aldo against Barao which most people thought was legit, and she was given more of a chance to recover than Fedor was against Henderson.
    The bad stoppage from Dean was Waldburger. That fight should have been stopped AT LEAST 30 seconds earlier.

9. Combat Sports

I agree.

10. Combat Sports

I don't agree. But let me be clear as to why. We will have a chance to more closely look at it when the fight is available to watch again, but there were literally only seconds from the knee shot and herb Dean stopping it. Rousey inflicted NO DAMAGE with any of her typically pathetic punches she landed during that time. (Or even during the fight). We don't know what Sara's next move was going to be as she was rising, she might of been planning to go for Rousey's leg, or any number of things. What I surmise is since Herb Dean had an incredibly incompetent late stoppage early on in the event that he probably got disciplined for that, and then overcompensated by ruining a title fight. We did not have enough time to figure out if she was intelligiently defending herself or not. But considering how quickly she got up, the shocked look on her face when Herb stopped it, and how completely fine she was right afterward, I think Herb screwed up big time. I would not go so far as to say I agree with "conspiracy theories" that Dana wanted McMann to lose, but I have no problem pointing out that Herb has made a lot of mistakes in the time I have watched him Ref. And when this happened I was not all that surprised.

11. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

McMann went down fast and had not started to defend herself until AFTER Dean stepped in. Could he have let it go on? Sure - but the end result would have been just the same and only with McMann incurring more damage

Most of the negative reactions to the stoppage are because it was Ronda winning...reverse the roles and no one would have batted an eyelid

12. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Actually mate I disagree. I'm a massive Ronda hater. Mostly because of her spoilt brat antics. Partly because I'm jealous of her amazeballs judo. However, I would have still called it a premature stoppage if McMann had floored Ronda. A bad call is a bad call.

Plus, it would have meant Ronda getting her head kicked in that little bit more, which would have been gratifying. Did you see the massive welts on her forehead? Her boxing is awful.

13. Combat Sports

I can hate a fighter and respect their talent and skill. I dislike Rousey but I am still reading her mother's book, still study her tactics and still am taking up Judo in part because of her performance. My dislike for Herb Dean on the other hand has been growing for some time, and I have no respect for him as a referee. That is where my frustration starts. I have seen him stand people up for no reason, stop fights too early, stop fights too late, etc. And being someone in training who is also training his kids for competitive sports I recognize that a split second bad decision on the part of a referee wastes MONTHS of HOURS of sweat and hard work in a flash. If that happened to my daughter or son I would be incredibly upset. If the fight had gone on and Rousey submitted her or something after a real fight I would of been dissapointed but would of accepted it. That call be Dean cast a shadow on that entire event.

14. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

She went down like a sack of potatoes and like she said in the post-fight interview, you can't do that and then blame the referee for stopping it.

Herb Dean is the best referee in the UFC. He made a mess of the Waldburger stoppage and maybe that made him a bit overly cautious later in the evening, but if I had to choose a referee for a big fight, it would be Herb Dean every time.

Edit:
    Have any of the people calling it an early stoppage ever been dropped by a shot to the liver before? The fight was over the second it landed.

15. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Yep. By spinning kicks too, which are stronger than knee strikes.

It's already been said by people who can phrase it better than me, but I'll say it again: Ronda didn't pose a significant threat to McMann when she went down. Herb should have given it a few more seconds at least.

By the way, anyone buy Ronda's claim she planned for the knee strike? Her striking looks too sloppy to be that accurate on purpose.

16. Combat Sports

No. I don't. Her striking still looks terrible. For every knee she threw McMann threw one back. Her saying "Oh yeah we worked on that..." sounded like Steven Segul suggesting he worked on front kicks with Anderson Silva.

17. aaradia

Yes, I think she had a game plan and executed it. And yes, I think her strking has improved, even if it still needs work.

Really, is the Ronda hate here so overwhelming people can't give her credit for a perfectly executed knee?

18. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

I have no problems with her knees, its' her hands that bug me. She's worse at boxing than I am.

Whether she planned for it is neither here nor there really though, fact is it worked and dropped her opponent.

Also - LOL :D

19. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Which is why I don't buy her or her coach's claims she planned the knee strike. Edmund was saying she was knocking down training partners with body blows. In boxing training. There are no knees in boxing.

20. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

She threw several knees in the clinch so I believe it was part of her game plan, and landing one as plum as that was skill, not luck. It was a mistake by McMann not to be watching and defending the knees, especially after she'd been hit by a few