Roundhouse combinations.

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by philliphall, Sep 12, 2005.

1. philliphall

philliphall Valued Member

I have a pretty decent roundhouse (on the pads and the bag anyway) but rarely let it go when I spar. Could anyone suggest any combinations with the roundhouse and any advice on how they use this kick in the ring ?.

2. duderanch182

duderanch182 Bored Thaiboxer

Leading with a jab then roundhouse is very effective. But there are so many combination to try think of the various ranges and see what works, sparring is practising not winning so try stuff out. Then you could start doing jab, cross, knee and roundhouse but its what works for you.

3. philliphall

philliphall Valued Member

What I like to do is drill combinations on the heavy bag before I try them out in sparring. Just looking for a few 'bread and butter' starters to expand on.

4. duderanch182

These are ones that good I find

Jab roundhouse of back leg
    Jab roundhouse of front leg
    Jab cross roundhouse of back leg
    jab cross roundhouse of front leg

These are some good basics then you can start throwing knees before or aftert the roundhouse. I just think its important to throw a punch before a kick and also trying mixing up the height of the kick, some low some hight or middle.

Hope this helps.

5. Jahk Nah Rai

Jahk Nah Rai Valued Member

use it like a club...it's a medium to long range weapon so as soon as the opportunity arises, kick! Combinations come from the natural left-right-left movement of both sides of your body so use the kicks in conjunction with other techniques.

6. pablo147

pablo147 Valued Member

Like the above post mentioned, just use it when your at mid to long range and "go with it". Keep your movements fluid and when you feel that your in a good position/balance to kick, kick! A jab-kick combo works good because after you throw your jab you are set up for a kick due to the weight transfer, etc. I dunno, its tough to explain on the internet. Just remember to keep it fluid and that one move leads into a number of other moves

7. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

aim thru the body i.e if your kickin to the right side of the opnent imagine that your target is the left hand side and the body is in the way

8. cityofangels

cityofangels New Member

For the most part, i use round kicks and kicks in general to make distance, i.e if he's getting too close for comfort, i let him know i'm not cool with that with a round kick or a push kick (the desired effect is probably similar to a girl telling you she's not into getting down :D ) next time he makes his move he's more cautious.... but if your moving forward with your kicks in a combination, its all in your footwork (you need to know the most logical next move from whatever position you find yourself in, which is where experienced fighters have the "tried and tested" advantage, they always know what comes next logically, so thats when you'd need to start thinking outside the box), you'd also look at using your hands to set up your feet, just an example situation but - you could double up a jab, (if he doesn't move back, its clinch time), if he gives you a bit of room which most fighters will do, unless they have a death wish, you can throw a left round house (preferably from your lead leg without a skip, itd probably be best to sacrifice power for speed and minimalise the risk of your opponent catching you out in this situation), you land with your left leg infront, that leaves a few good options, follow up with a right low/round kick, right push kick (depending on your distance or if you want to make some distance for yourself), but an experienced fighter will never give you that kind of distance, as soon as you throw your kick, the gap will be gone..... going from the situation above, because you land back in your normal guard, you could throw an inside leg kick and see where that gets you, but you can also easily unload with a punch combinations - jab, right cross, left uppercut.... or something less predictable, right hook to the body, left hook to the head.... you get the idea....

If your finding that your not using your roundhouses enough when your sparring, its probably because your going in with your hands, closing the distance, which (depending on your flexibility) would make it difficult to land a decent kick of any sort because a) getting your thigh at 90 degrees gets more difficult the closer your are and b) normally traditional round kick will be slower than a punch (excluding super heroes), so obviously you'll struggle to land a decent kick when he's hitting you all over the place.... what Jahk Nah Rai is saying is 100% correct, the traditional thai kick is used like a baseball bat to go through your opponent, but from a close distance, arms length, its not easy to land successfully (unless you have a better than average level of flexibility), perhaps you could look at a faster method of kicking, maybe something which isnt traditionally associated with muay thai, for example, an angle kick, i've seen a number of thai fighters use these, one particular fighter comes to mind as being able to land a decent kick from a close range faster than his opponents punch.

wow, that was a long post.... theres my two pence.... ok, coffee break :D

Last edited: Sep 14, 2005
  9. duderanch182

How is a roundhouse going to help with distance, front kick yes because it will push them backwards but a roundhouse will not stop someone going forward or cause them to go back.

Also using your lead kick without putting it behind you for a roundhouse is pointless, this is a kickboxing technique its quick and has no power, MT is about speed and power. You would score no points in the ring and is a waste of energy I feel

Everything else you said I would agree but not those 2 points.

10. cityofangels

cityofangels New Member

ok, i was a bit tired when i posted, so perhaps i couldve explained myself clearer.... i was attending to a graze on my knee from last nights class.... they should make twins toe nail clippers, might make them more appealing to some people :rolleyes:

the first point addressed..... if i make good contact with a roundhouse, he moves back.... unless your hitting a bag, a live opponent won't stand still and let you land another one.... so i'de say that it creates distance....?

the second point.... we'll agree to disagree i guess.... i was thinking more along the lines of an angle kick off the lead leg rather than a thai round kick, and i can safely say that you would score points, having scored points in the ring myself with it.... ide also say it's ok to use a kickboxing technique in muay thai, if it's useful, i take note, you can never have too many options.... obviously without a skip your left kick won't be as powerful, but it's a nice quick way to start a combination - which was the topic of this thread.... whilst we're talking power and left kicks though, i see where your coming from and i agree, a great deal of muay thai depends on speed and power, but whichever way you look at it, it's also about tactics, a live opponent won't stand still, when he's on his last legs towards the end of the fight, then you throw everything you've got... when your in the ring, no pads etc, blasting your most powerful kick in the first round wouldn't be a good call, noone is 100% accurate, especially on a moving target, and even more so on an opponent who has trained for weeks to deal with whatever you might have, if you make contact with an elbow or even a shin/knee, you won't want to throw another kick anytime soon.... last time i saw this, it was a fractured shin in the first round, which i imagine to be really really painful :confused: i prefer controlled power, thats just my personal view, i'm careful about how i attack, particularly with left kicks, given that in any situation, from your normal stance, it will be slower than a right kick.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2005
  11. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Run... don't walk - and watch the fights of KAOKLAI KAENNORSING!!!!!!!!!

Here's his fight record:

KAOKLAI KAENNORSING
    Thailand / Ihara Dojo / Muay-Thai

DATE OF BIRTH : September 13, 1983
    HEIGHT : 5 feet 11 inch
    WEIGHT : 176 lbs

*TITLES*
    Rajadamnern Stadium Muay Thai Super Welter Weight Champion
    K-1 WORLD GP 2004 in Seoul Champion

*BOUT RESULTS*
    Muay Thai 71 Fights 47 Wins 22 Losses 2 Draws 11 KOs
    K-1 10 Fights 7 Wins 2 Losses 1 Draw 2 KOs

*LAST 30 FIGHT*
    17 Jul. 2004 K-1 WORLD GP 2004 in Seoul W DENIS KANG 1R KO
    17 Jul. WORLD GP 2004 in Seoul W TSUYOSHI NAKASAKO Decision
    17 Jul. WORLD GP 2004 in Seoul W SHINGO KOYASU Decision
    25 Sep. WORLD GP 2004 in Tokyo W ALEXEY IGNASHOV Decision
    06 Nov. Titans 1st E MIKE BERNARDO
    04 Dec. WORLD GP 2004 FINAL W MIGHTY MO 1R KO
    L MUSASHI Extra R Decision
    19 Mar. 2005 K-1 WORLD GP 2005 in SEOUL W QING JUN ZHANG Decision
    W HIRAKU HORI Decision
    L HONG-MAN CHOI Extra R Decision Final Match
    Results on K-1 10 Fights 7 Wins 2 Losses 1 Draws 2 KOs

One of his primary weapons is the roundhouse off of his lead foot.
    There are advantages to pulling a switchstep with your lead to get it behind is that you'll to be able to generate power with it... but it's not always an option to pull that switch step to get the lead leg chambered.

The reason you don't see many people throw the RH off the front lead leg is that it require a lot of practice to get the technique down clean and to be able to generate power with it.

Definitely something worth workin' on though.
    It'll catch people by surpise if you manage to get it down right and generate power.

12. duderanch182

Cityofanglels- with the roundhouse kick I see where you are coming from now, it could move someone back if it is a really good kick but not always and the opponent could throw punches while you kick so you would still be in danger.

I don't mind if you still disagree with the kicking with the front leg, I was just pointing out that it might not be the best thing to use and this my oppinion. I personally would not kick of the front leg without putting it behind me, I have a trained at many different camps in Thailand and none would kick straight of the front leg and I know my Kru discourages kicking straight of the front leg.

I hate when people don't keep the toe nails nice a short, I have had a couple of cuts as a result. All Kru's should keep nail clippers at the gym just in case. :D

13. cityofangels

cityofangels New Member

As slipthejab said, its a technique which requires a lot of practice, because theres nothing to accelerate your leg, when you throw a right kick from your normal stance, your body weight brings your leg round, when you throw a left kick from your normal stance without the skip, you need to have the strength in your leg to bring your body round, if that makes any sense.... the fact that your kru doesnt encourage it, should be enough reason for you to practice in your own time, if everyone training at your gym is told it's a waste, it'd be worth having as an option in sparring surely.... all i'm trying to say is give yourself as many options as you can, you need to be able to compete with any type of opponent, if your opponent is quick, your kicks need to keep up with his movements, putting a skip into your kick will give you a powerful kick, which is awesome, as long as he's still in the same spot two seconds later.... then you gotta start thinking, which is better, no contact or contact without as much power?.... and as i said before, if you do decide to throw your hardest kick, making contact with an elbow or a shin won't be pleasant.... kaoklai kaennorsing is an awesome fighter, and probably quite flush after winning the K1 Asia, his lead leg kicks, they're something else and he's also known for using techniques which aren't traditionally associated with muay thai....

lead leg kick

Jumping round kick

To quote a review of kaoklai's K1 win, "It soon became evident that his front kicks were doing more than creating distance, they were also rattling Koyasu's head."

And yes, ide like to see more toe nail clippers in muay thai! :D

14. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I keep them there at all times now... I recently had a student kick a nice hole in one of my new bads with is nasty ass unclipped overgrown toenail!!! :bang:

Now my new pad a big wad of duct tape on it! :cry:

15. duderanch182

Cityofangel- It does kinda sound like this fighter you are talking about is one of those one of million people who can do somethings other can't. I would never practise something in sparring that I would never use in the ring.
    I'm not sure but could you score points using your front leg roundhouse, my understanding of points system in MT is about hurting your opponent so if the opponent didn't flinch when using that kick you would get no points.

If you can throw strong kicks using your lead leg I say go for it, but I have yet to see any people do this so I won't bother any time soon.

16. cityofangels

cityofangels New Member

If that was the scoring system, there wouldn't be many points.... not many fighters flinch.... a knockout is about hurting your opponent, the point scoring system is based on skill, so having a wide range of techniques is good, and effectiveness, referring to good contact in this case.... ive seen loads of fighters who have used lead leg kicks, it doesnt have to be a round kick, as you said, whats a round kick without power? slow.... theres no skip in a left push kick, but you still have a reasonable amount of power.... anyway, doesnt matter, each to their own right? its possible that the only way you'd get what i'm saying is if you came up against someone faster than yourself, like i said before, you can go for power or you can go for speed, you can throw the worlds best round kick, if noone is there to take it, it's literally point-less.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2005
  17. duderanch182

I get what you are saying I just meant to say I don't think it is for me. I have sparred with people faster than me but I prefer to use my knowledge and catch them out with one of my prefered techniques.