round house

Discussion in 'Karate' started by bonita, Dec 28, 2006.

1. bonita

bonita Valued Member

What is everyones take on doing a round house--shin, top of foot. ball off foot? Just had someone tell me there is only one way to do one--I was stunned but just want to know what everyone's opinion is.

2. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Time and a place for each of them really. Whatever does the job.

3. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Traditionally you should use the ball of your foot, but when you need speed and can't focus on accuracy (even though you should always be able to focus on accuracy) you could use the instep or shin. Shin is good close up, instep further away. But when you're doing line work it should really be the ball. Also the case if you're kicking a bag.

4. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

My general take on it:
    Power kick - shin
    Probing kick - instep
    Big nasty shoes on kick - foot pointed

5. rsobrien

rsobrien Valued Member

Use the search function

6. Kenpo_Dave

Kenpo_Dave Valued Member

IMO kicking with the instep is only for point sparring and light contact. For full contact and self defense kicking with the shin is alot more destructive, also theres high risk of breaking the metatarsals when kicking the head with the instep. Kicking with the ball of the foot is good for a quick kick to the face or ribs.
    I prefer fighting in close so shin is always my preference.

OSU.

7. Haduken

Haduken Valued Member

i think it would all depend on the range, the target, and the type of situation. The shin is my first choice, but mostly because i fight up close and keep my kicks low - in a real situation you want a 'high percentage' shot - your accuracey won't be what it is in a class scenario due to the adrenaline, so a nice big weapon like a shin gives you a better chance of connecting. kicking to the head... well shin is a great one, but you need a lot of flexibility, especially if things get up close - but if you can do it, great - ball of the foot next, because you can target the chin, and get a lot of movement with those extra few inches on the end of you foot to get a knock out... having said that i have knocked out using the instep - don't really need too much power kicking to the head, as your leg is quite a heavy weapon in itself... still given the choice, i would only use instep in sparring.

8. prowla

prowla Valued Member

All three are valid.

Shin
    Advantage: powerful, and delivered with a big hard bone.
    Use: for thigh kicks.
    Disadvantage: close range.

Ball of foot
    Advantage: striking with the strongest point of the foot.
    Use: when you've got shoes on, when you're in range, or if you want to sneak around a block (if opponent is expecting an instep).
    Disadvantage: slightly slower, slightly shorter range than instep.

Instep
    Advantage - faster, a smidge more distance, points sparring. There is enough power there to knock somebody out (I was on the receiving end of one in a competition recently, and got knocked off my feet by it!).
    Use: any target.
    Disadvantage: you are hitting with the vulnerable top edge of the foot, so an elbow block can damage you.

9. shoshinkan

shoshinkan Valued Member

Personally shin or toes (ie with shoes on) for me, dependant on range and target.

I dont bother kicking above floating rib height these days and only rareley do that,

If someone is on the floor then the head is a good target!

10. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

Dittoed.

11. Pacer_3

Pacer_3 New Member

Leg kicks, i actually use the tips of my toes. The smaller surface area equates to what I think of as more muscle penetration. Before anyone talks about breaking toes, I have spent several years strengthening this much like people strengthen for fingertip strikes. You don't have to kick with all your strength, the target is the important part.

If I want to hit someone in the ribs or higher, I'll usually use my instep or the base of my shin. I rarely get the ball of my foot, because the risk to the toes is higher, since they are already bent back.

I would probably not kick someone in the head, unless in point sparring, because my goal in a fight would be control rather than a devastating knock out. One of my teachers is fond of saying that it makes as much sense to lean down and punch someone's foot as it does to kick someone in the head. I agree to an extent; there are times when the high kick can catch someone by surprise and open them up to something else. If I want to knock someone out, I'll go for knees or elbows (when possible) rather than fists or feet. The head is extremely hard, and I like to walk and write!

12. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

Everyone has different views. Personally I prefer the instep of the foot for mawashi geri, but, to quote Seikichi Iha, 10th Dan Okinawa Shorin Ryu Karatedo Association:
    In the same interview he also said:
    Now, does that mean that I change the way I do my kick because it's not the way my organization supports? No, it simply means that I am using a non-native technique because it works better for me. So I would say that they're may be one variant for a particular region/style, but not in the overall.

13. koto_ryu

koto_ryu Common sense is uncommon

I usually stick with either shin or instep, but the ball is pretty nasty if you can use it well. Of course, it's only really applicable when you're barefoot though.

14. Explorer

Explorer Valued Member

The toe-tipped kick is classic Okinawan. The ball of the foot kick was a Japanese adaptation (that I use). Do you have any idea how much work it takes to be able kick someone hard with your big toe? The Okinawan's had makiwara set up low for toe conditioning.

All that being said I aim my mwashi kicks just above the inside of the knee.

15. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

I've seen a documentary of an Okinawan master kicking a makiwara with his big toe for developement, then onto breaking boards with his toe kick, not something I want to be on the receiving end..let alone any kick ;)

16. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

The ball of the foot is used for breaking boards.
    The instep is for kicking peoples butts.

End of story. :D

17. 2ndchance

2ndchance Valued Member

I've always been leary of using the instep for power, because of the fagile nature of the metatarsal bones. However, did anyone else see the recent UFC match where the one fighter knocked out the other one with an instep roundhouse to his opponents head? (Sorry, I don't remember who was fighting, just the kick.) They repeated it several times in slow motion and I was totally impressed by the way the loser fell asleep while he was still standing.

Now of course, it could have been a lucky kick, and maybe the guy spent a huge number of hours kicking hard objects with his instep until all the nerves in his foot were dead, but whatever. I thought it was an amazing kick, and I'll never again criticize anyone for doing instep kicks(except my own students of course, lol.)

18. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

it's pretty rare to see a proper shin kick to the head - but the instep suffices. besides, there's less danger of hitting an elbow when kicking at someone's head, and if you kick someone in the head hard enough to break your foot... they're probably in MUCH worse condition.

and as much as my instructor loves toe in round kicks, i have yet to find any situation where i would intentially use one. shin or instep, not ball of the foot.

19. Pete Ticali

Pete Ticali Valued Member

You guys missed one!

My personal answer would be "ball of the foot"

But I just thought you might be interested to know that some traditional Okinawan forms might use "heel" in their front kicks. Yes I said heel.
    Envision a front snap or lunge where the toes/ball of the foot are pointed back at the martial artist and the heel is thrust forward...

For the record, a round horse kick is a fairily "new" addition to traditional karate. I could be wrong (being polite...) but don't think any original okinawan art used a round house.

Pete Ticali

20. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

I was taught to use my instep, but I really hate using it- it just feels wrong. I much prefer either my shin or ball of the foot. So that's what I practice at home, but in karate class I try to use my instep.