Ronda Rousey vs Cat Zingano - UFC 184

Discussion in 'MMA' started by SWC Sifu Ben, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I didn't use it because I was near the bottom of the first page and figured you'd have to be stupid to keep reading.

Suggestion box it is :p

2. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Seriously, it takes a click, it's not like it's a massively onerous chore.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Whoops..my bad

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Rousey v Zingano II is a possibility.

B_B8I27WkAAbMiD.jpg

5. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Is it one we want to see though?

6. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I am a huge Zingano fan, but she should not get an immediate rematch after that performance. She needs to earn her way back to a championship match with a couple of decisive victories over other opponents.

7. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I don't follow the UFC or MMA, but have just watched Rousey's pre fight workout and that of Zingano.

I thought Zingano's pad holder was terrible and was just posturing around the ring.

Fine of you are fighting someone with a 2 foot wide head, but no good if you want accuracy and timing.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9Qt_uX_9Jw"]UFC 184: “Alpha†Cat Zingano’s Workout Before Title Fight With Ronda Rousey (Complete/Unedited) - YouTube[/ame]

8. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Yeah, bad pad holding. And that's coming from me. It is a problem with wmma that where the levels are a bit lower, a lot of women seem to be at relatively poor gyms or with relatively poor partners.

9. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

The biggest shocker to me was that apparently Zingano said she didn't watch tapes of other Roussey fights. That is just dumb. I hope she changes this strategy going forward.

10. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

To be honest I don't think you need tapes to know the three important things about Ronda:

1. She does judo

2. She beats people in MMA with judo

3. Almost every win she has in MMA is by armbar

That should tell you basically all you need to know.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2015
  11. Hannibal

That was horrible! Outside of specifci isolation drills you SPAR with the mitts or you don't bother

12. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Felt sorry for Cat all that prep and not even lasting 30 seconds, but she did seem to lose her head coming out of the gate, mad scramble skills and lovely finish from Rhonda
    Homes takedown defence impressed me, although I doubt Rhonda will be looking for high doubles like Pennington did. I was surprised how well pennington did in regards to standing and trading with her, felt the striking exchanges were way close than I expected them to be, pennington is more a submission girl than anything and she held her own quite well,

13. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Yeah, If Pennington had shown higher fight IQ or listened her corner it could have been a very different outcome. Holm defended the takedowns well, but they weren't great takedowns. Her corner were telling her to take the high single and she kept shooting to a bodylock. I thought Holm's lead leg was a bit "proud" and I think Rousey would ankle pick her all night long as they are at the moment.

14. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Holmes wide stance made the double hard, as did her heavy hips and lowish stance (she looked big at that weight) , but as you say the single was there all day long, holmes defended the bodylock nicely by using her extended arm to keep the hips away, but honestly im not even sure Rhonda will need the single leg or ankle pick, she will wrap the head from the clinch pull her in and throw her, pushing the hips away wont work as Rousey seems to like headlock throws over bodylocks, and her chaining together of takedowns will be a lot better than Penningtons
    I was amazed how well Pennington did on her feet, and how well she closed for the clinch and double leg, her finishes weren’t great, but if she can get in close past Hollys strikes and negate her footwork, I suspect Ronda can as well, and I cant see her missing from that distance with her takedowns
    Of course it was Holmes first fight in the UFC so nerves played a factor, but I doubt Ronda saw too much at this stage to worry her

15. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

If that is all Holm has, then I don't think Ronda needs to worry about being outstruck. She didn't rock Pennington once all fight. She's got first minute stoppage written all over her.

16. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

I love watching the UFC, and with two "you blink and you missed it" finishes in a row now after that nasty liver shot KO, I had exactly the same thought.

Maybe the UFC should nick-name her "Wonder Woman," because, you know, the DC superhero can beat most anyone in the DC universe, hero or villain. And she's pretty, too. :p :love:

Seriously, I'd like to see her fight Renan Barao.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  17. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Dude at my gym is a white belt in BJJ and a blue belt in judo and thinks that he could take out Rhonda. I still can't stop laughing when I think about it.

18. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Seriously you want to see her fight one of the best pound for pound fighters in the world, a man who had 33 fight record win streak and who has more knockouts on his record than Ronda has fights? Why?
    We have to be serous Ronda is a great fighter in a female combat sport whicd doesn't have a lot of top competition in it, Barao was top of the food chain for years in a division with a stupid depth of talent
    I agree with holy she could take down some in the top 15, but the second best fighter in the division with the best takedown defense in ufc history isn't one of them
    Lets not go over board here

19. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I have little clue on MMA but I've watched the short .gif this fight generated.

Most of our discussion here has focused on Ronda, but what about Cat? To my inexperienced eyes she came out like a beginner and got schooled. One appaling knee then nothing.

Now, clearly she isn't a beginner, so what gives? Did she choke/lose control due to adrenaline? Was she badly prepared or trained by those around her?

I mean, it wasn't just that she got beaten by a better fighter, she didn't seem to display her qualities at all either. In motorcycle racing they talk about people trying to win the race in the first corner and then crashing, this seemed a lot like that.

Any thoughts?

Mitch

20. Hannibal

Her thoughts:

"Ronda is a slow starter and has never been under pressure so let's see what happens when I REALLY put some stress on her"

14 seconds pass.....

"bollocks"