Rolls

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Andrew2011, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Andrew2011

Andrew2011 Valued Member

I'm learning ju jitsu and just tried a few rolls at home. The problem is I don't want to be banging the floor too much as I live above somebody. Also the carpet isn't the best thing to roll on. Does anybody here use mats to practise this? Most mats seem to small but I wondering if two mats would be enough?

Thanks.

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

It'll still bang. Summer soon, that's what grass was made for

3. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

I'm not sure what varies between your rolls and those I learn in HKD but I've found that for ME, controlling my speed and the point at which I contact the ground can affect how loudly I roll. It also makes it less of a bone-jarring venture when not on the mat. I can roll in our front room now with little "thudding" about, lol...

4. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Just read them - good articles - just probably not too popular as the mystique of learning a 'centuries old martial art' is very pervasive. This is not just a problem with Korean arts - I've seen the same thing with Tai Chi and best of all a discussion with an instructor who taught Kateda and claimed it was 5000 years old...

5. Bigmikey

Umm.... wrong thread maybe? Or did I miss something?

6. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I think it must be

7. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

MY BAD - I had two windows opened and posted to the wrong one !!!

8. Bigmikey

Say two Hail Myomoto Musashi's and three our father Gichin Funakoshi's and thou shall be forgiven my son.