rolling/turn hips over

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by chip, May 5, 2004.

1. chip

chip New Member

many posts refer to turning or rolling your hips over for a kick. can anyone break down this technique into easily understandable terms?

my main question is how you turn your hips over, and how can i be sure that i am doing it right or not (an outline of the stages of a kick and how my hips should be in each stage)

thanks

2. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Hi,

Look at the bottom of this page.

There are links to previous threads about the same subject.

Cheers. :)

3. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

It means your hips shouldn't hold back when you kick. You should lead with it and let the twist and torque of your hips fire your kick out. Your torso should twist over to the left if you're a righty, and vice versa if you're a lefty, pulling your roundhouse in. Think of your hips as the handle of a bullwhip and your leg as the actual whip. Since your leg is the whip, it's "dead". The way to throw that out is to lead in with the hips first. Then the whip comes in naturally.

If you're standing in front of a mirror, you'll know you're doing it correctly when your body looks contorted from the waist down. Your right leg should be swung over to the leg, your hips/waist rolled over to the leg, you right arm thrown out to the right for balance and your left arm up to your head for protection. You can almost see your back because of the twist. Your head should be facing forward.

Last edited: May 5, 2004