Role Model Physique

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by El Barto, Jun 3, 2006.

1. Skrom

Skrom Banned Banned

you do realize that extra muscles are good for more than "just flexing", right?
    no matter how you look at it, if you were bigger than you are now, you would be stronger. i don't see how being stronger would hinder your performance, especially in sports like judo and football. i have sparred with people much heavier than me, and i know full well the difference some extra weight can make.

that's a very, very broad generalization. the real question is why you think this is true. if you think it's because the 5'9 guy will be too "bulky" to move well at that weight, you're dead wrong (monson - 5'9 and 240). it also depends on what you mean by "fighter", because if it's MMA or anything ground based, the reach disadvantage pretty much goes out the window.

yeah, you're right, who wants to be stronger anyway :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2006
  2. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

jubba the hut.

3. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

I never said I didnt care about women. I said that I dont care how I look to them. If you were mature enough you'd know that women dig confidence. As for Brad Pitt and Orlando Bloom, Im not sure if women like em but girls really love em (but this is boyish face moreso than physique).

And contrary to what you may think, there are many many guys out there who got huge as a means to an end. I think you're just trying to make up for your insecurity by putting down "huge" guys.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2006
  4. JayKayD

JayKayD Meet my friend PAIN!

Yeah i'd probably be a bit stronger but your missing the point. Proper athletes, who by definition are at the peak of human fitness, are not 240 pounds and the like. Its about a balance of weight to strength. Besides, you don't have to be huge to be strong.

Your right weight would probably help with judo, but not with climbing, football (and by that i mean soccer), hiking and snowboarding and other such things. Being too heavy is just a disadvanage. If you don't see how then you've obviously never tried these things.

As for the height/weight argument, just look at all the top fighters.

Yeah sure because i don't want to be 5'9 and 240 pounds im insecure. If you look like that your a freak, plain and simple. People will look at you and go "look at that freak". You'll probably say they are just jealous, but thats exactly what women that have massive amounts of plastic surgery and look like blow up dolls tell themselves too.

I was not putting down 'huge' guys just for the sake of it. You lot were mocking banpen because he didn't want to look like what your perceived 'ideal' bodytype was. Your making the mistake of thinking that because you want to be as wide as you are tall, everyone else does/should. I'm just pointing out that being as big as you possibley can be is far from ideal. If i wanted to be 100 pounds heavier, i would cut time out of my favourite sports, social life and other fun things that generally make up my life to achieve it, because lets face it unless its genetic being that big is a full time activity. However, i would much rather have the athletic build that comes from a multitude of different activities, and is therefore most suited to that.

If you find women attractive, its only logical that you make yourself attractive to women. Confidence is besides the point, im saying that women prefer a proportioned muscular build to bodybuilder/massive guys.

5. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

Just when I thought power lifters and olympic lifters weighing 240+ lbs. were athletes...damn! :rolleyes:

6. JayKayD

JayKayD Meet my friend PAIN!

A lot of olympic/power lifters look nothing like some of the monsters posted on this thread.

The ones that are massively overweight are only like that because they are geared towards their particular niche. I bet if they had to do other things than just lift they'd be different. Yes by definition they are athletes, but i meant the more rounded athletes that do a multitude of sports.

7. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

How can you be so naive. Im saying that women find a large variety of builds attractive and its almost irrelevant compared to other traits (such as confidence, humor, etc). Ask any woman. Notice I said women, not girls (girls dont know what they want :D).

8. GhostOfYourMind

This is true, but most lighter powerlfiters are pretty shredded (power to weight ratio plays a huge role, like you've been talking about with yourself), but once you get to heavy weight and superheavy weight, you're unlimited as far as how much of a fat **** you can be. Same with oly lifters.

In a study at Mexico City Olympics (1976? I dunno, before my time!), some of the fastest sprinters were... olympic lifters! Yeah, even that guy named bubba who can't wipe his own butt was pretty damned fast. A bunch of heavyweight oly lifters or power lifters can also jam a basketball, at a height of 5'8", give or take a few inches. Some (if not most) are pretty flexible. I'd say that's some well rounded attributes.

An athlete is an athlete though. Simple as that. And the higher you get on the "totem pole", the more focused on ONE sport that athlete becomes. So by definition, world class, olympic caliber athletes aren't really well rounded in a sense. They're VERY adept at their sport, but make them do something else and they may just plain suck at it.:D

9. ItalianStallion

ItalianStallion Valued Member

...I can say people doing martial arts are lacking something.eg. getting bashed as a kid, being small, puny, or bald etc.
    Isnt the point of doing something to get better at it? Because you are lacking that 'something' that would make you good? You make it sound like a bad thing.

LOL orlando bloom, wow, he sure has a good body, skin and bone 4 lyfe. Chicks dig him for his face not his body, same goes for Brad, if he was ugly, chicks wouldnt give two craps about his body.

10. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Peeps there is no solid answer one way or the other.

Yes there are a lot of musclebound guys out there strutting around with their insecurities on display. Who hasn't seen them? Anyone that's spent any time in the gym certainly has. We've all seen the blokes who walk around with their arms flaring out at the sides... God forbid they ever had to comb their hair.

That being said... some of the bigger guys at my gym are the most humble and down to earth fella's you can find. One of them I train now for Muay Thai and take-downs - he's come down from around 220lbs to 198lbs. He's a lot quicker now than he was... but he can still hit just as hard as he ever could. He comes froma background in amatuer competitive bodybuilding. But he's as cool as they come... open to new ideas and willing to learn new stuff.

This issue runs the gamut. You'll find lots of girls that do dig a well built guy. You'll find some that don't care. Just the same as you'll find guys totally buffed out that have issues... serious issues. But come one... skinny guys with no muscles don't have issues? LOL! :D

Sure they do... but it's easier to focus on the guy who stands above average. And in a visual world such as we live... the guy who's rocked up with some serious muscle mass that is above the average stands out. So he's an easy target.

People in general run the gamut. So it's not as if bodybuilding attracts only issue laden freaks. Yeah there are some... but what subset of culture hasn't got some freaks in it?

The whole debate is about as circular as it is pointless.

11. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Matt Hughes- He has a good looking physique at the same size as me. Plus the dude is an animal strength wise, and he isn't to shabby in the cage either.

12. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Women prefer more muscle bound men for a one night stand but prefer a more muay thai or football(uk) physique for a longer relationship. I heard that on a Dr Robert Winston program on the BBC. And in a survey in my sisters womens magazine the bodypart women look at the most is the back, yet another reason to deadlift.

13. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Hmm... all for that deadlifting. :D

Perhaps the reason that guys work out the front (chest, biceps etc.) so much is because it's what they see in the mirror. Where as women often turn around to get a good look at a man's backside as he walks past... so if he's not doing his posterior chain part of the workout then he could be missing out and not even know it.

* skirks off to the gym to deadlift :p

14. Jamo2

Jamo2 The Louie Vitton Don

So how come im a skinny little runt and everybody seems to want a one night stand :p

15. Kwan Jang

Kwan Jang Valued Member

I really was going to stay out of this and let someone else correct him using facts vs. ignorance. However, I've gotten tired of the insulting little troll.

Jay Kay, I am well over 240 and am a better athlete and faster and more flexible and agile than you will ever dream of being (for proof; see photo section). If you don't want to be built or look the way I do, that's fine. I have absolutely no problem with that. OTOH, the constant insults and put downs ae getting a little old. The things you have said have little to no basis in fact.

I would have kept silent or at least not been so unfriendly in my response, but if this were an attack on a racial or ethnic basis rather than body type and development, it would be intolerable. Your posts have been both ignorant and offensive and I feel that I really should speak up and you need to be put in your place.

16. Xav

Xav Valued Member

I couldnt agree MORE with Jay Kay (except for the fact that bigger people will be slower/wont punch harder)

Its really hilarious how everybody "jumps" on him because he doesnt want to be extremely huge.

If he climbs, what use would it be to be a lot heavier???

Everyone has another opinion on muscles...people have been calling JayKay immature, naive,... but I havent seen HIM directly attack somebody.
    Who is the most confident?

Accept not everyone wants to be huge and stop WHINING because he has another opinion, instaed of starting a nice discussion y'all attack him with insults!

And then you people call other people immature? Something's wrong here...

17. GhostOfYourMind

The BEAST has spoken...:D

Xav- My point isn't that I think that everyone should be HYOOOOGE; it's that JKD is just labeling people because they're bigger. That's ridiculous. And being large does not make you a worse athlete. If anything, you can be a better one.

Now, for sports requiring high power:strength ratios, that's all well and good. But if you have no weight class requirements...why not get big (unless of course, you do something else like rock climbing or gymnastics, then it's understandable, but even still, if you don't compete at those things, a little muscle won't hurt).

JKD also said, in so many words, calling powerlifters and oly lifters in higher weight classes not a well rounded athlete is just not true. They do have attributes that can carry over into other sports that would serve them well; but they don't need to because they focus on their one sport.

18. Sever

Sever Valued Member

It's not so much what he's saying - hell, I don't want to look like a massive bodybuilder either - it's the way he's saying it; throwing around terminology like "freaks" and going on about how people who have worked that hard to get a physique like that have "emotional issues." I can see why people have gotten annoyed with him

19. madmike

madmike ow that hurt not

personally my goal is to end up looking like big bird but i have no hope of bulking up that much

20. Skrom

Skrom Banned Banned

that was why i was bashing banpen.

JKD: most of your other "points" have already been addressed. i'll just say that it's ok if you don't have time to gain weight (i have a lot of trouble with that too since i train in MMA almost every day), but saying you don't want to gain weight because "women don't prefer it" is sad, and saying "ew, muscles, disgusting" comes off as somewhat pitiful. i honestly don't know where this fear of muscle comes from. as a martial artist, extra muscle is never a bad thing unless you're restricted by weight class...but if you're not serious about martial arts either, i guess it's cool. i just hope you keep your little prejudices about muscular people to yourself, or you could end up finding out how much harder someone 50 pounds heavier can hit.