Rocket's training critic

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Gripfighter, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Ah, I see. Like a version of my beloved crossfit that I have to pay for and isn't as good? No thanks.

2. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

What are your goals?

If you want to be strong:

stronglift 5x5
    Wendler's (sp?) 5/3/1
    West side for skinny bastards

Google them choose which one sounds the most fun and do it.

I don't know enough about cross fit but from what I gather it is like high volume conditioning stuff, KE?

Basically you need to pick up heavy things. And not do 25 reps of anything. Ever.

3. Knight_Errant

Not really, there's heavier lifting in there as well. It takes a while to explain. http://www.crossfit.com does it better than I can.

4. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

iv finished reading the links and have decided I really want to give the west side for skinny bastards routine think you ps for posting that hopefully I will figure it all out how Im going to make the routine suit me throughout the next few days but that in its self leads me to some more questions id appreciate advice on if anyone is willing to give.

1. there's cardio like at all in it which I can see how best could you fit this in ?
    2. its a 4 day routine I need two days for judo and 1 for rest how can I fit a day of cardio in as well
    3. as I said in my OP a BJJ club is opening up soon that I intended to go to this will mean 4 days of martial arts can the 4 days of westside be combined into 2 ? and if so again what can I do for cardio.

5. Knight_Errant

I'm so glad I drank the crossfit kool-aid. It clears up these little considerations and turns you into a combination of a buffalo and the flash :)

6. seiken steve

If you ever figure out an answer post it up, we'd all love to know!
    personally i would do cardio in the morning,regardless of my plans for the day. (once or twice a week) but it is a struggle o doubt anyone has ever managed to master.

No. That would simply be far to much volume for any of the workout to be effective.

looking at the space on your diary i would do stronglift twice a week then with your 4 days of MA's that leaves you one rest day a week and if your body can handle that you'll still need to deload and rest pretty regularly as that's still a pretty hardcore schedule.

7. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

yea wouldn't it be safe to say that the majority of people on this website do more than one martial art at once and there for more than two days of training ?

8. seiken steve

I would guess that most cross train, yeah.

It is just a struggle for most and as far as I'm aware no one has managed to find the perfect solution.

A while a go i was training in AJJ karate and boxing, as well as following a pretty tough strength training routine, my solution was to pretend weeks don't exist. my training schedule had 9 day blocks. With quite a bit of rest but that didn't work.

I'm currently trying to juggle full time study weights cardio boxing karate and a social life there has to be compromises somewhere.

'you can't ride two horses with on ****'

are any of your MA classes easier "tek" days?

9. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

nah they don't

looking at the westside for skinny bastards a bit closer isn't there allot of real advanced technique and serous lifting even tho its supposedly just for athletes and not body builders and a real lack of

http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functional_training

which should be the most important thing for martial arts or sports should it not ?

10. Knight_Errant

Actually, there's sort of a vogue against it. Not that movements shouldn't help you with your given action, it's more that mimicking movements doesn't necessarily lead to the best adaptive response, and quite possibly sods up your motor skills. From what I understand.

11. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

yeah but still the westside for skinny ... seems like an awful lot of serous weight lifting and not much of anything else

12. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

There's a modified Westside routine, aimed at non-strength athletes, available.

13. Knight_Errant

I'm confused it's a while since I've looked at that article. Doesn't he give a day off specifically to go sprinting and a repitition day for your bodyweight exercises?

14. Patrick Smith

Patrick Smith Tustom Cuser Uitle

Frodocious, do you have a link for that?

KE, I think he discusses that in the Notes section at the bottom of WS4SB III. That, or it might be in the WS4SB II article.

15. Socrastein

Socrastein The Boxing Philosopher

Serious weight lifting is exactly what you need if you ever expect to be a competent fighter. Or just a bad ass in general.

16. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

If you scroll down the page it suggests this progression:

http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/38-articles/60-westside-for-skinny-bastards-part1.html

17. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

got a link just to I check it out ?

18. seiken steve

If you want to be strong you need serrious weight lifting.
    Sorry mate thats just how it is.

19. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

no doubt but it just seems pretty advanced as i have no one to show me the ropes, plus there's stuff vital to the routine as well that I'v never seen in average gyms, the box for jumping on and that. soon as I get a gym membership which will hopefully be soon ill give it a go for a few months as best i can then review things again.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  20. Socrastein

Socrastein The Boxing Philosopher