Robert Melissa Moran- who is this guy?

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by ArthurKing, May 4, 2015.

1. ArthurKing

ArthurKing Valued Member

Saw this video on another forum, was not impressed. Found him on youtube, seems he's a 'grandmaster', 10th Dan, possibly in Goju, anybody know anything about him?? Any comments, particularly from you realists re: the monkey bite (ear grab) against 2 opponents???
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqcUWGrEEhc"]KARATE 2 PERSON DEFENSE #SELFDEFENSE - YouTube[/ame]

2. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

:D

He popped up on a group I was on, he didn't last long.

What forum did you see him on?

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

First issue is the opening statements arguing that ring sports are only good for the ring.

No-one is arguing any different.

"Most of those guys are jacked up steroids".

Another dumb statement that didn't need to be made.

This statement is levelled against bodybuilders too and in my experience just means "I can't or don't train as hard as those guys".

Good instructors justify what they do with actions, not statements at the start of a seminar that are disparaging to others.

I was at an FMA knife seminar last year and the instructor said (I'm paraphrasing) "martial arts is 100 miles long and a mile high. Self defence is 1 mile long and 100 miles high. We're here to do martial arts, not self defence".

A description of what was about to happen. No slating of other arts or styles and that set the tone for the day.

As for the technique in the video. I didn't like it.

You can't dislike the instructor from looking at one technique, but try it against the MMA fighters you dislike so much.

4. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

I can't believe he doesn't try to deal with how you would gain the grip on the ear , he just assumes you could get a hold.
    I'm not trying to say the "technique" itself has much value , but most of these people at least try to address the entry.

5. Simon

The other thing I didn't like was the "I don't want to fight" statement.

We all use it, but you do have to practice it and if it's phoney it'll get you a punch on the nose.

You can't go from "I don't want to fight" to elbowing someone in the head and then going back to "finish them off".

This is why good systems include the law, your rights, de-escalation, habitual acts of violence and so on.

6. Simon

7. ArthurKing

ArthurKing Valued Member

Saw him on Ryu Kyu/Okinawan martial arts forum, run by Greg Parker?

8. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I'm no lawyer, but if you're selling a keychain specifically to be used as a weapon in the UK, doesn't that kind of automatically make everyone who leaves the house with one guilty of having a concealed weapon?

Aside from that, I really don't see the point in it. Like most weapons, without training you won't have the accuracy or timing for it to be effective. In the guy's demonstration it looked more like a hinderance than a force-multiplier.