Road Rage

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Guerilla Fists, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Guerilla Fists

Guerilla Fists New Member

We all have it. From that obnoxious child making faces on the window pane of the car in front of you to that jerk who cuts you off oblivious to your safety because he has an important call.. Whatever the trigger you find yourself quickly wanting to smash 2000 pounds of twisted metal into that childs face, over that guys corpse...
    This is one such story of how to deal with road rage.
    I'm driving down the 50 West freeway on my way home in the middle of the day and there is a car slightly ahead of my in the lane right of me. In my side mirror I see a white pick up fast approaching in the right lane. No way, I know exactly what he is thinking. Only there isn't enough room.
    This guy speeds up and wedges right in, if I hadn't slammed my breaks he would have caused a bloody collision.
    So I pull up next to him and he and his buddy are just laughing their butts off. Real funny. He mouths the words "(blank) You!" and gives me the finger. "Fine" I thought. I smiled and sped up.
    Now I have this compulsion where I can't stand pennies. They are the most pointless piece of change to me. So for about a year now I have been collecting them from change from fast food drive thrus and what have you into this coffee cup in one of the cupholders. Now, several months later I find a use for them.
    So I hurl a grip of hundreds of pennies out my passenger window. And they fly back into the right lane chipping up his windshield like cobwebs in the glass. Go to hell at 80 miles an hour.
    I sped off as he swerved and felt the panic of haveing to recorrect his vehicle. Then I put my sunglasses on and cranked up the old school rock.
    EP

2. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Hmmm, effective though probably a bit on the extreme side. I always felt each car should come with 4 rockets on the front, ala james bond. Use at your discretion I say.

3. Romantic

Romantic Martial Prowess

Hey, I actually did a whole project in my senior year of high school about road rage. If you guys want, I can send you my research paper.

4. Guerilla Fists

Sure, just click on my profile and e-mail it to me. Thanks.

5. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

I feel the best response to the road rage types is no response at all.

My two experiences (both long time ago, in New York):

1) A guy that was tailgating me on the highway, then pulled alongside and started yelling and gesturing (he must have thought I was driving too slowly, and this was the right lane -- no place for speedsters). I made no eye contact with him, offered no reaction at all. He kept it up, and as I was approaching an exit that I could use to get home, I very suddenly turned into the ramp and left the highway (I did this safely). If he wanted to follow me, it was too bad, because I took him by surprise; he was already too far down the highway to use the same exit.

2) This was on back roads -- another tailgater. The guy passed me (crossing a double yellow line to do so), and we both ended up stopped at the same red light. He got out of his car and started jumping up and down and screaming. Once again, I offered no reaction whatsoever, and no eye contact. He got back in his car, and after the light turned green, he ended up behind me, and it became obvious that he was following me (I could tell because of the route I was on and the time of night). I happened to know where the police station was in that town (it wasn't even out of my way), so I drove there and pulled right in like I owned the place. Mr. Road Rage sped off, and I never saw him again. LOL! He must have thought he was harrassing an off-duty police officer!

Lessons:

1) If you're driving back roads at night, know where the police stations are. Road rage jerks don't really want to go to the police station.
    2) Ignore the jerks.
    3) Be ready to slow down a bit and let them go ahead, or have an alternate plan (like an exit) to get away from them.
    4) If you can't shake them from following you, then don't go home -- go to a well-lit and very public place with lots of people around.

6. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

I had a friend who was a victim of road rage just after Christmas. Quite terrifying for her and her family (her children were in the car with her and her husband). She was driving cautiously down country roads - plenty of deer and slippery conditions, when some jerk decided he was in a hurry. Pulled in front of her, cutting her off and then had to slam his brakes on because deer were on the road. Fortunately she did not hit him but he took exception to the fact that she almost did. Parked his car crosswise on road and started to kick the vehicle. Hubby made mistake of getting out of car and guy proceeded to attack him. Good thing the hubby was big guy and pinned him face down in snow and gravel and politely asked him to reconsider his actions.

Needless to say, he kicked my friend in the head (through the window of her car), bloodied up her husband, terrified her kids and caused a lot of damage to her car. He was visiting from the states and can no longer cross the border and will be seeing prison time. Like they say - the Mounties always get their man, even though his family tried to hide him and smuggle him back across the border.

Road rage is serious stuff, my friend is very lucky that this guy wasn't some gun-toting crazy. Please reconsider before you take any action when you are angry and driving.

7. Guerilla Fists

Hey guys, great stories keep them coming.

8. shifu tiger

shifu tiger enter my circle of death

iv'e had my road rage experiances too. i have a horrible temper but as i have gotten older it has become much easier to just let it go. i have never been the one to cut anyone off or kick anyone's car or anything like that. i do get angry at other drivers for being highly inconsiderate of others. i just don't allow it to control me anymore. i feel the anger, i understand what it is and i just let it go.

9. Mordred

Mordred New Member

I was driving in the fast lane (right hand lane in South Africa), when some jerk started tailgating - really close, there was no where to go, it was rush hour. He started flashing his lights at me, even though I could not go to the left lane. In the end I get tired of this so I tap my brakes to get him to pull back but this just makes him more angry, he forces into the left lane and then tries to force me into the concrete wall thats inbetween the two lanes. Lucky for me the guy didn't manage to run me off the road.

My fiance was driving in the slow lane when some tailgating idiot decides to overtake, cuts in front of her and slams on his brakes. He forced her into the drainage ditch next to the emergency lane, she managed to control the car until she could safely stop.

What this has taught me is that if at all you can avoid idiots like this, do. Get out of the way so that the jerk can just get past and away from you. If you can't avoid it try and get the number plate details so you can report them. Most ppl have mobiles with them so you can call the police from the car.

Most of the time, in fact 100% of all the situations I've been in its been MEN that are prone to road rage. I've never had a woman tailgate me and try and force me off the road.

10. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Guerilla - You seriously did that? That has to be one of the most bloody stupid things I have ever heard anyone do.

What the hell were you thinking? You could ahve very easily caused a pile up and deaths of innocent people. For what? Because your "ego" was bruised? That is plain moronic

NOT impressed....

11. Picksey

Picksey New Member

Well said, Hannibal. All you did, Guerilla Fists, was lower yourself to their level. Lucky nothing serious happened.

I've been victim to a couple of minor roadrage incidents (I am a woman driver, after all :D ) but I just generally leave them to get over it - get out of the way, let them pass, wait patiently for them to blow off steam, whatever. Until recently, they've always got bored and moved on, no harm done.

A few weeks ago, however, I pulled out onto a roundabout in front of a car when admittedly I probably should have waited for him to pass first - but I certainly wasn't being overly dangerous. He tail gated me for quite some distance then dropped back, but I suspected he was following me. I took several turnings, but he still followed. Eventually I turned into the carpark of a local shop I knew, stopped, but didn't turn off the engine. Sure enough, he turned into the carpark, but didn't get out to go into the shop. I sat and thought for a bit. Getting out of my car to go into the shop was obviously a bad idea. I thought about driving off and finishing my journey - I was actually on my way to a karate lesson, which could have been a rude shock for my roadrage guy! - but there would've been kids about. So, instead, I waited until I saw a bus round the corner and pulled out of the carpark in front of the bus which meant the car couldn't follow, though in my wing mirror I saw him try. By the time he got out of the car park, I was out of sight.

12. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Convoy of martial artists going up to a demonstration. Guy pulls out, and collides with a car in the middle of the convoy. Nothing serious but they both pull over. The guy gets out of his car and starts screaming and yelling at the top of his voice, battering on the car, in absolute rage.

While this is going on, five cars of martial artists, in full uniform, quietly pull up and empty. When the road ragee comes to his senses enough to look around, he finds himself surrounded by lots of people in martial arts uniforms, and calms down very quickly.

13. Guerilla Fists

Nooooooooooooooo! I didn't impress Hannibal!
    That's an awfully slippery slope point you make Hannibal. Who gives a flip if you're not impressed?
    The next time that jerk thinks about cutting someone off and endangering their lives he'll think twice.

14. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Sadly, much as I wish this was true, it's unlikely to make the guy think any different.

Check out Hannibal's occupation GF!

15. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

GF I didn't want to gain your approval or to get into a flame war BUT...

What you did was plain stupid. The guy had to swerve according to your own account - It does not take a genius to follow the logical trail of what could have happened. It is not "slippery slope" thinking it is the result of years of dealing with the aftermath of accidents caused by pillocks who could not swallow their pride and seem to think that retaliation somehow makes it OK. What did you gain from it? Self satisfaction and thats it. You were in no danger, nor was anything you owned so all you did was resort to the lowest and most base of animal instinct. As a martial artist you SHOULD know a hell of a lot better.

Frankly I couldn't care less about what you think of my opinion - but if you did anything like that on my manor you would be looking at time in a cell sunshine and make no mistake about that. That is not opinion - that is law.

16. Guerilla Fists

You weren't there, you didn't see what danger I was or was not in. When a car cuts you off by mere inches at 85 miles an hour you have to either slam on your brakes or swerve to the other lane. The first option poses teh threat of someone behind you smashing into you, and if there is no out then you crash into a car on the second course of action on its side.
    Who cares if you are brass? Not me.
    Your way isn't my way. I won't force mine on yours. So back off.

17. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

What a retarded comment ^^^

Maybe it's cool in the movies and it's what I would LOVE to do to some jokers, but at the end of the day it's a truly stupid thing to do. Imagine if you did cause a pile up? I know you didn't, but suppose you did. Wouldn't you feel great then?

18. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

If he's doing 85 and your driving legally at what? 70 mph? Then you don't need to brake will you?

If you're doing 85mph, then you're adding to the problem yourself, by cutting down on your own reaction time.

19. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Guerilla Fists - I cannot believe that someone who thinks of themselves as a martial artist would do something so dumb. You shouldn't be allowed to drive a Golf cart never mind a motor vehicle on a public highway. Just think how you would feel now if that car had swerved because of your rampant ego and had taken out 3 or 4 kids.

20. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

Guerilla Fists, our actions may have consequences that affect other people as well. You satisfied your pride. But what if other people were hurt because f what you did (other than the people who cut you)? Why did you not just challenge them to fight? 2 versus 1 may be hard but at least you'll be only hurting yourselves. What you did was a cheap shot.

There was a similar situation here in the Philippines where a gang would drop a stone from an overpass passing over an expressway. People were got hurt and worse killed. When the police found out about it, they discovered that there were kids in the gang. Upon interrogation, the perpetrators admitted that what they did was just for fun.

It is a fact of life that will always be idiots who pull pranks at the expense of another's well-being. The point is that we should not join them.