Ripping it

Discussion in 'Wrestling' started by Gripfighter, May 15, 2012.

1. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Tony C was a fraud and a fake on many levels (allegedly) at least Jake actually trained with these guys, but I honestly wasnt impressed with his skill levels, and the whole catch thing is ...well why spend a fortune on a dieing art when you can get world class wrestling and BJJ coaching in nearly every state in the USA for a fraction of the price?

Dont get me wrong I have trained with Billy, he is the real deal and a great coach, also trained with Roli and he has good skills too but is it worth that much i dont think so there's simply way to much good stuff out there at a better price

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Funny you should ask, yours truly is going to a three hour MMA seminar with him at the end of next month, just under 50 quid. :)

3. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

That's a student seminar though. Instructors have to train with Erik for at least 20 hours a year, plus testing and to be a CSW school (use the logos etc) you have to pay a fair amount.

4. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

You know, I've been to alot of seminars. The truth be told. I didn't learn a damn thing at them. I always got better value from finding good people to train with every week.

The Bear.

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Fair enough, just telling you what happened.

6. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

That being said, Chadz is training with rick young daily, so no doubt they will cover the material from the seminar again.

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Erik and Josh Barnett associate with Jake and the SW crew quite freely. Erik has his "Neckbreaker" DVD with them (great DVD btw) and Barnett has several others.

Jakes' beef with TC is primarily stemmed around Jake asking pertinent questions...and as TC is an unmitigated fraud he got the hump

Jake makes no claims to personal lethal proficiency himself, he is just interested in training and history and development. I have always found him approachable and honest in my interractions with him. Certainly he puts out some top draw DVD's on his site

8. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Interesting feed back and perspective from all in this thread fellas! Nice!

@ Icefield - Yes by and large I agree. Given what the price tag is. Ouch. Though I do think there are other forms of grappling that can be just as valid as BJJ... wrestling is one of them. Though at the moment it's going to be pretty hard for any of them to compare on the value/cost spectrum like BJJ does... that's for sure.

@ Bear - yes this is often how I've felt myself most times I've gone to a seminar.

@ Chadderz - You lucky dog. Take notes and come back and write up a full review man. I'd be well interested to hear about it!

@ Hannibal - Again thanks for the 411 on the beef. Interesting stuff. When someone is personable and not making big ass claims about being t3h d34d733 then I'm rather partial to that type of person.

9. Ben Gash CLF

I've always learned loads at Erik's seminars, and it's cool to roll with new people as well.

10. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Just out of curiosity... what's the going rate on the Erik Paulson seminars and how long are they?

11. Ben Gash CLF

In the UK last year it was £60 for 4 hours, in Portugal this year it was 120 euros for 10 hours and at the pro-camp in OC it's about $400 for 20 hours.

12. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

dont think id ever pay more than 40 quid to do a seminar with anyone except maybe sakuraba or cro cop (even then just to meet them), 80 for two days maybe.