RIP Bob Anderson

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by Ben Gash CLF, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-16383728 So many great swordfights, surely he deserves to be remembered as more than "Darth Vader stuntman" :(
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7zvffHu_wo&feature=share"]GREAT SCENE - The Princess Bride - YouTube[/ame]

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

That's the greatest swordfight in cinematic history! RIP Bob.

Mitch

3. robin101

robin101 Working the always shift.

rip bob, loved your choreography in lord of the rings and all of the others.

4. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

A very interesting fellow. We are all blessed by his contributions to cinema, well at least those of us who like a good sword fight in a movie.

5. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

RIP Mr. Anderson.

6. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

RIP

And by coincidence/fate. James Bond Die Another Day was just shown on BBC1, where he was the swordmaster.

7. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

8. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Of course Bob Anderson isn't historically accurate. Bob Anderson was an Olympic fencer who went into the movies as a stunt man and a choreographer. Historically accurate and realistic are not what he was doing. He was teching people to look good on camera while not hitting each other with swords. He was a consumate master at that but it is not swordsmanship. Swordsmanship is about putting your sword through a vital area of an enemy while not letting him do the same to you.

The Bear.

9. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

"Swordsmanship" just means the art of using a sword, as I understand it. Swords can be used for fighting, for sport, or for theater. Bob Anderson was a master of the third category. Just because he wasn't a fighter (and I agree that theatrical is not realistic and not meant to be realistic) doesn't mean he wasn't a swordsman as I use the word. He was the best of the best when it came to theatrical fencing/theatrical swordsmanship.