Ring or Cage?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by johndoch, Sep 26, 2004.

1. johndoch

johndoch upurs

So whats better and why?

2. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

As a spectator, i personally prefer to watch fights which are in a ring.

I personally find that the grappling always stays alittle more alive when the fight is in a ring because the fighters cannot pin their opponent against the cage.

3. Don Davies

Don Davies Valued Member

4. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I think two guys fighting in a cage has more an impact upon the viewers who are new to mma, than 2 guys fighting in a ring.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2004
  5. notquitedead

notquitedead used to be Pankration90

I agree, Yuki. Most people accept boxing, so if they see MMA in a ring they relate it to boxing and don't think it's as "barbaric" (for lack of a better word- I know it's not, but a lot of people think it is) as if it were in an octagon or cage. A lot of people see the cage and think of the early UFC's and think the people try to kill eachother.

6. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

hehe of course we know it's not barbaric :) It's THE best sport this world has too offer :D

7. slideyfoot

slideyfoot Co-Founder of Artemis BJJ

Also, you can't get thrown out of a cage, and you can't grab onto a rope (you could try and thread your fingers through the cage, but probably not a great idea to provide that kind of a target :p).

8. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

People grabbing the side of the cage isn't a rare thing thats for sure...

9. Sambo Master

Sambo Master Banned Banned

I Prefer to watch fights in a ring (PRide) the cage is just there for show and the only purpose for having it there is for the strikers to pin up against it which is crap.

I will be fighting in a ring a Clash In Cosette 3 in november. it is one of Freemans Shows.

10. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Likewise Sambo Master. I much prefer a ring.

Good luck with your fight! I too will be having my first fight soon.

11. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

I recently watched UFC 47, and then watched a Pride fight show. I found the Pride fights to be more exciting to watch. More Ko's, Tko's, and submissions. I like that they couldn't hold on to the ropes of the ring, and when they needed a re-start, they got brought to the middle of the ring in the same position they were in at the ropes(grappling position mostly).

Now whether that has anything to do with the ring vs. the cage...I have no idea :rolleyes:

12. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Yeah, Pride has the rules that if the two fighters are rolling around near the end of the ring, the fighters are told to move back into the middle of the ring and continue in the same position they were in.

13. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

neither - do it on a leitai ;) like in sanda/sanshou

if they go out, they fall off :D
    will keep the fighters more alert as to where they are on the platform