Ribcage injury during sparring

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by kungfupanda71, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I've always assumed that....
    If there's a large amount of swelling it may block venous return, and then you'll get a lot of swelling, (mostly legs) so if you raise it above heart level, the venous return will be maximised.

2. kungfupanda71

kungfupanda71 New Member

Funny thing no visible bruising or swelling just pain

3. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Bruising and swelling are not always visible. I mowed my lawn today, and my hips feel like I went a few rounds. If your scans showed no other damage then you should be golden within a week or two. If not, I'd go back to the doctor.

4. kungfupanda71

kungfupanda71 New Member

I have Kaiser unfortunately for insurance and they suck really bad- worst doctors ever. Hopefully I can switch to PPO plan at open enrollment time. Spoke with 2 Kaiser docs after xrays showed nothing and they were next to useless. Maybe if I hit up the ER complaining of deathly pains they would run a CT/MRI scan and see what is up.

5. Grond

Grond Valued Member

You're close to 2 weeks since right? It should be getting better by now. Keep in mind if all you had was x-rays, they won't see things like organ damage, muscle tears, or a herniation.

You can try an urgent care facility instead of the ER (I'm not a fan of using ER for non-emergencies), they might have an ultrasound machine, which can be used to spot some types of organ damage.

Regardless, if you're not recovering by week 3, you probably have a serious internal injury and I would seek whatever treatment you can, including ER. But that would be my last resort.

6. Dead_pool

Haha Americans are mad for over treating things.

You've had a rib/cartilage injury, soft tissue injuries take a minimum of six to eight weeks to heal, and that's a minimum, and rib injuries are notorious for taking a long time to heal.

Edit a serious internal injury is one that kills you in a few minutes, which is exactly what you don't have.
    Go and see a physio if you want too. But don't clog up an emergency room for what is not an emergency.

Monkey_Magic, Grond and kungfupanda71 like this.
  7. Dead_pool

Or they might do a colonoscope on you, don't lie to doctors, it won't get you anywhere good.

Monkey_Magic likes this.
  8. kungfupanda71

kungfupanda71 New Member

Yeah you do have a point. Pain is not as bad as it was 2 weeks ago. I must have really jacked up my ribs!

Dead_pool likes this.
  9. Terry7987979

Terry7987979 New Member

I would suggest to see a doctor if you feel much pain. After that rest is an ultimate option to keep your ribs healthy. Don't try to train them in pain, it can cause more harm to them.