Rhee tkd school

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Handsup, Jun 21, 2005.

1. MattP

MattP New Member

Hi Buck65,
    Yep, low kicks, elbows, knees, strikes to back of head etc are all legitimate Rhee techniquies. Practiced with no or light contact though, until Black belt....
    Cheers
    Matt

2. rtkddevil

rtkddevil Valued Member

You got that right Matt. I'm sure the RTKD B/Belt's in the land of the long white cloud hit as hard if not harder than the Oz RTKD B/Belts, given the "sparring" experience I have had with a few of the Maori RTKD black belts in the past. They fire off those heavy kicks then seem to love to grapple when they get in close then pound you with those big solid elbows.

3. taekwondo7years

taekwondo7years New Member

well i have seen worse school rather not say that let students become a head instructor just on green belt or yellow wearing a black white belt doing a cours and teaching 6 9 grades high then them self with poor stand but not like get to that to much but other student have there own skills sum people good at there fly kicks sum people good at punchs and fast with there hand and pattens is more about how hard and time you put in to it i have done rhee taekwondo i have now rhee taekwondo for rould 7 years now planing to go back the high got up to is 1st grade ever really want go for black belt or teaching just use injoging train and the work out and keeping fit

4. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

5. Daniel at UQTKD

Daniel at UQTKD New Member

Gradings = $$$

Being quite expansionist (and, in the clubs where I trained, profit-driven), there can be a tendency for Rhee clubs to grade students frequently (for $$$), even if they are not to standard.

This doesn't apply across the board, there are a lot of good Rhee clubs, and even more good clubs who started with Rhee, then became independent, but it could explain what you have observed. I now train in a non-profit club, where instructors receive $0 and teach because they love martial arts -- no pressure to grade people until they are ready, and black belt is usually a 5-7 year journey. Compare that to a lot of other TKD styles, where "black belt" is attainable in 2 years or less (or by mail order :)

6. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

No the Rhee brothers were not part of the original Korean TKD 12 masters. That WiKi article is sooooo very wrong on many, many accounts. The original 3 Masters were Gen. Choi, Col. Nam Tae-Hi & Sgt. 1st Class Han Cha-Kyo.
    The next 8 would flow from there in the ROK Army & with the Military TKD. This all preceded the KTA.
    For instance the flawed list contains Icons like:
    C.K. Choi (Gen. Woo Jong-Lim)
    Kong Yong-Il " " "
    Rhee Ki-Ha (Master-Sgt. Kim Bok-Man)
    Park Jung-Tae (Lt. Col. Kim Soo-Ryun)
    But it doesn't list, include or acknowledge their (teachers) who were all original TKD Masters.

7. Daniel at UQTKD

Daniel at UQTKD New Member

Rhee TKD does not mean reliable!

My background is in Rhee TKD, but when I travelled around a bit, I found the standard as patchy within Rhee clubs as it is in TKD generally. I met a "4th dan" instructor in one school who was closer to blue belt standard. After a session with him, he asked me if I wanted to open up a branch in another suburb! Oh dear.

In the end, I decided to look for good, solid technique and some level of cross training. I ended up with a club that is descended from Rhee, works strongly on 'focus' and good technique, but also doesn't get too insular. There are a few such TKD clubs in Brisbane.

8. 8limbs38112

8limbs38112 Valued Member

When you are referring to Rhee in Rhee TKD are you referring to kang Rhee? The one who taught Elvis in Memphis? Is Rhee TKD the same as PaSaRyu? The art Elvis trained in?

9. 8limbs38112

a little research answered my question. Nvm. I would like to know people's opinion of PasaRyu though if anyone is familiar with it.

10. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Googled it. Looks awful. What's to know?

11. 8limbs38112

thanks. have you watched any videos of it? Why does it look awful?

12. 8limbs38112

13. Knee Rider

Just watched a few vids. Looks like typical nonfunctional posing drivel.l

14. 8limbs38112

FYI I train Dog Brothers Martial Arts for now and I love it. The techniques are simple and easy to execute and the excersize is not so intense that I feel like I'm going to bootcamp every day. (I am out of shape) I dropped Wing Chun because it doesn't serve my fitness needs for weight loss and if I am going to cross train I need to do it in an art that focuses on fitness as well as making one a proficient fighter. Plus the stance is just so dang uncomfortable and unnatural. I really want to cross train in muay thai, but muay thai's excersize is a little too intense for my taste. I still want to get some excersize, but not quite as intense as muay thai. I'm not going to drop DBers, if worse comes to worse I will just excersize on my own time on my days off, but running the treadmill is just so bloody boring. I want to train a martial art that focuses on fitness as well as making one a proficient fighter.Preferably a striking art. Something that is not a Mcdojo that also has a convenient schedule and won't interfere with my DogBrothers training. Do you have any suggestions. Muay thai and BJJ are out of the question. I've tried them both and they are too intense and it hurts my gut like hell when someone gets me in the side mount. What would you suggest. I am going to google search some shotokan places, that seems to be the only form of karate in my town. I'm sure most of them are McDojos, or have incompatible schedules. Do you have any suggestions of some other arts I should look for? I live in memphis.

15. 8limbs38112

In other words I'm looking for a striking art that can replace running the treadmill, that is not utter crap.

16. Knee Rider

I'd suggest looking into some form of knockdown karate.

Honestly Muay Thai or similar kickboxing hybrids are the dogs knackers though. Maybe work on your conditioning then try again?

DBros FMA has always looked great to me by the way! Very jealous :)

17. 8limbs38112

I bet you are. DBers is awesome.

18. 8limbs38112

We do have a kyokushin dojo. Don't know if the schedule is convenient or not. But I'm afraid that would be just as intense as muay thai. If not more. That seems like something I'd want to do after I get in shape. Plus if I quit BJJ cuz I hate getting my fat tale put in the side mount, I'd guess getting punched in the chest in Knockdown karate wouldn't be any better. lol.

19. 8limbs38112

20. Knee Rider

"Higher consciousness through harder contact" - someone you most probably know of ;)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015