RHEE Tae Kwon Do

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Xio, May 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog www.myspace.com/elhig

If you would like to continue to discuss the difference in the way branches of your schools run please continue here.

If you wish to discuss the difference in techniques taught, please continue the thread in the Tae Kwon Do Forum I've moved the last couple of posts to a new thread there.

2. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

The threads you moved were strictly related to our school Rhee Tae Kwon-Do, which is practised in Australia and is the largest style of Tae Kwon-Do in our country and is completly seperate from any other style of Tae Kwon-Do. :confused:

3. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog www.myspace.com/elhig

I appreciate what your saying, however this part of the forum is for discussing schools & teachers, If you wish to discuss the techniques used in your style of Tae Kwon Do Please do it in the Tae Kwon Do forum. If you wish to discuss the teachers or running of your school's please feel free to do it here.

4. ouchthathurts

ouchthathurts New Member

moving posts

i realise that if i search i can find all the posts that are relevant to Rhee TKD, however, i think it would be great to have a thread that contains posts about any and everything Rhee. schools, techniques, instructors, gradings, meetings, hints, tips...i should stop going on.

i am sure most people would be bored to tears to hear us chatting about such things, of course another benefit to using this thread is the reduction in spam or irrelevant responses ( before anyone says it, i believe everyone's opinion counts and that everyone has a right to be heard)
    another reason is then we do not get into a debate about how effective a technique, movement, uniform, badge, instructor is etc. I am sure that we all believe that we are being taught the RIGHT things, whoever our teacher is and whatever the style, and that's how it should be, or we should go somewhere else.. the fact is that is how WE do things. It may be that Master Rhee changes things for a reason, he has that right, or does things in a manner that others perceive as incorrect or not as good as it could be. we do it that way because our instructor says that's the way to do it and we choose to follow that instruction because we like the environment we are in. nothing that is said will change that, even if others think it wrong or could be improved on.
    we all enjoy TKD in whatever form, we all train using different techniques. i read other threads because i am interested to hear what other people experience. i am sure others would benefit in finding information about Rhee TKD in a single source.

and finally

an active thread is an interesting thread. if we don't use it then we lose it :)

of course, that's just my opinion.

5. ouchthathurts

ouchthathurts New Member

Ooops

Geez, that started out to be can we keep all Rhee stuff in one spot!
    sorry about that, i mean no offence to anyone.

6. rtkd-badger

Well said. I thought that by now there would be a Rhee website with a bulliten board, I keep looking but to no avail

7. Xio

Xio Controlled Chaos

It's funny you mention that Badger as i've also wondered if there should be a Rhee Tae Kwon Do website. It is big enough. And it would be a good idea. But i haven't heard of one.

8. rtkd-badger

Maybe it is something we should bring up with our instructors and regional instructors?
    Just a thought.

9. Xio

Xio Controlled Chaos

Yes, but who to talk to about it? i guess your regional instructor would be best. They would be able to take the matter further. I dunno, i don't think we can really do any more than that.

10. imonetwo

imonetwo New Member

11. rtkd-badger

Thankyou imonetwo, However now I have another dilema. How do I go about telling my 2nd Dan Instructor he has taught us our pattern wrong :eek:
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated

12. Belana

Belana New Member

RTKD websites

Hi People

Here are a couple of regional Australian websites:

http://www.rhee-tkd.net
    http://www.rheetaekwondogoldcoast.com

There are links on these websites to various other regions within Australia and New Zealand.

Unfortunately there is no national or organisational RTKD website - only websites that have been set up within different regions.

Train hard.

13. Belana

Belana New Member

Badger

Hi Badger

I would not recommend 'confronting' your instructor by telling him he has taught you the pattern wrong. No matter which class or region you are in - always do the pattern or technique how that instructor is teaching it during the class.

In my personal experience there has been times even within the same region where instructors have had a minor difference in a pattern or a technique.

BTW, if you are concerned that Mr Rhee might pick up on a 'wrong' technique during a pattern - just remember it always comes down to who your instructor is and if Mr Rhee considers something wrong you wont get into trouble, if anything the instructor might.

Dont worry about this stuff too much though. Just have fun training and listen to your instructors and take care.

14. Xio

Xio Controlled Chaos

Yeah Master Rhee always burns the instructors. Never the student (unless the kid is obviously not trying).

"There is no such thing as a bad student, Only a bad instructor"- i heard that somewhere and i can tell you there ARE exceptions. I instruct the junior class sometimes (our region has a junior and senior class. Junior for primary school kids and senior for older) and i can tell you there are some kids in that class that are really bad students. One kid i know has been forced into it by his dad and he's hopless cause he never trys. His dad is a sub-teacher at my school and always comes up to me asking about training and stuff! :woo: :eek:

Anyway my point was that Rhee really takes it out on the instuctors if they muck up. If you have the guts badger, you could ask your instrictor. I'm guessing the rest of the 5th kup did the pattern like that too. It's no biggie i reckon. I wouldn't worry about it.

/Xio

15. Jesse@RTKD

Jesse@RTKD New Member

me too

Yeah i do Rhee Tae Kwon Do.....i got my jnr black belt when i was 13 and my local instructor disapeared straight afterwards so i was left to teach some brats who never listened to me so i quit :bang: . Im now nearly 19 and moved to another area and last month i decided to take it up again. I found that now i appreciate my training and progress much more and im getting fit again.

Ive only been at it for 3 weeks and i have a grading in a few days!! Ah well...ive started at white belt again but my instructor reckons ill double grade because ive picked it up quicker than i ever expected.

I prefer Rhee Tae Kwon Do because its fairly traditional and is extremely focused on perfect technique...something i feel is lacking in more modern sporty styles. :cool:

16. Belana

Belana New Member

Hi Jesse

Howdy

Why did u have to start at white belt again? Did u lose your blue book?

My first instructor used to call out our membership numbers at the end of each class and then we went and collected our training card from him. All this was his way of making us remember our membership numbers just in case we ever lost our book. It worked - I remember it to this day :)

All the best for grading :)

17. Jesse@RTKD

Jesse@RTKD New Member

gday belana

Well...i have no idea what happened to my blue book..the last time i saw it was 5 years ago and even though i remember my number its not helping....so now i have to find my old region instructor whos supposed to have kept records. i Went to my grading 2 days ago after only training for 3 weeks and at first master rhee decided to promote me from 10th kup to 6th kup which had a lot of strangers patting me on the back but then after the grading my instructor said that master Rhee told him i should be training as a jnr black belt again!! I think he has a policy of sticking to whatever grade he gave you no matter what..but im glad i started at white again coz i needed to get my basics back again. He also said that in 6 to 9 months i should be ready for my 1st dan. The best thing about this is now i can train much more seriously, especially in my free-sparring which i feel is lacking atm.
    Rhee Tae Kwon Do is badass...im glad i started again.

Also...i train in Gympie QLD under Peter Bailey if you were wondering....and i previously had trained under Maria Mitchell in North NSW from 1996 to 2000

Last edited: Jun 15, 2005
  18. rtkd-badger

Firstly let me welcome you to MAP, I have been thinking about my passport lately as I am in the same boat. I handed it over to my instructor on my first grading and haven't seen it since. :D

19. rtkd

rtkd Z-boyz

Hey mate, are you now training as a junior bb? They should have never got you to wear a white belt again. At the end of the day do whateva master Rhee says. If he says next grading he wants you to go for 1st deg. then do it. Master Rhee once said at a grading dinner the most dissrespectful thing you can do is refuse his recommendation. If he thinks your ready then your ready. Thats great that he said you will be ready in 6 to 9 months. He doesnt do this much, hes obviously seen potential in you and wants to test your dedication.

Master Rhee is the badest ass.

train hard.

20. Jesse@RTKD

Jesse@RTKD New Member

Yeah im now training as a jnr BB. Ive just started revising all the patterns which is a pain in the ass but i gotta get them relearnt asap. Im currently training in Gympie and i like my instructors but i dont like living here anymore and im planning on moving very soon down to Brisbane...hopefully ill be able to get into training with Nigel Higgs because ive heard hes really good, and im more dedicated now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.