RHEE Tae Kwon Do

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Xio, May 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yang Dae-han

Yang Dae-han Realising the 'edit'

Thomas,

I think we're getting ahead...don't confuse them with Sino-Korean, they won't know which way is up! :p

Ok, just for fun...for those who may be a bit confused. Until recently (ok, couple hundred years ago), Korea used Chinese characters for writing (but was different to Chinese meaning). I've blanked, but there are a few examples of English to other languages (of Roman alphabet) that are spelled the same, but different meaning or pronunciation.

Anyway, Chinese was too hard for the masses to read, so a much more simplified language was created (not by King Se-jong, though he takes credit). I believe that Korean is the only 'scientific' writing system in the world, and Koreans have the highest literacy rate...I think.

As for names, some were given names (seven to be exact <if I recall correctly> to the servant class). The other two classes were royalty and the aristocratic class. There's gotta be another, I just don't remember.

Anywho, as Thomas mentioned, same names, but not necessarily the same meaning...but that is a different, and long thread.

For the ITF TKDers....the poomse 'Choong-moo' is named after (what the current spelling is, though it is old style) Yi, Sun-shin.

Cheers,

Yang, Dae-han
    Seo Yang Yang, Dae-sa na ool han ;)

2. KUNG FU FIGHTER

KUNG FU FIGHTER New Member

Rhee TKD is a renowned McDojang Brand in Australia

3. sean

sean THOR!

I have never heard of it, but then again i havnt heard of alot of things

4. Xio

Xio Controlled Chaos

:confused: please explain. I don't understand. :confused:

5. KUNG FU FIGHTER

That is its rubbish

The martial arts version of McDonalds

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2004
  6. Xio

Xio Controlled Chaos

Yeah i understand "Mcdojang", i just don't understand how it could be this, cause it's so big. But anyway, I'm not sticking with it for life or anything, I'm gonna take up Kendo in the future.

The reason i do Rhee TKD is cause there's no other MA in my area other than an obvious Mcdojo of Karate. The instructor wasn't even a qualified BB to teach. He spent the whole time abusing other MA and telling me how he was soooo great. it's a pitty cause i would have liked to take up Karate too.

7. KUNG FU FIGHTER

It depends what your area is do you live remotely?

8. oni_sensei

oni_sensei Valued Member

To blatantly say that Rhee TKD is a McDojang organisation is totally uncalled for. I live in Bundaberg, Qld, and have sparred many a good Rhee student in my time. I will admit that the patterns (adapted from the ITF) are practised entirely differently, but it is simply an offshoot of ITF Taekwon-do. There is usually some rivalry between ITF and Rhee schools in the same locality, but most of the time, students are more than welcome to transfer between styles without having to cop a load of flak. Rhee TKD is simply the TKD style of Master Chong Chul Rhee, simple as that. There's nothing I can find to even think of calling the schools McDojangs.

Rhee TKD is the second largest Non-WTF style organisation in Australia to my knowledge, but you won't find it overseas.

9. Xio

Xio Controlled Chaos

Yeah it is pretty big in Australia. I don't see how it's a Mcdojang brand or anything.

I live in "The Great Lakes" area in NSW along the coast. I know there are many school of Rhee TKD in my area.

10. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

Master Rhee trained the Korean army, he first Tarined under Gen Choi and left Korea at the same time he did. If you remember the 70's and the split between north and south. That was when Tae-Kwon Do came to America. Master Rhee firstly was ITF then when the politics got to much in his eye's he decided to break free and form his own style. I se in one post where one member says that Rhee is a takedown of ITF.
    OK Try Won-Ho, we start with twin forearm block in a fighting stance, then move to a knifehand strick in a forward stance. Itf on the other hand remain in the fighting stance or back stance. I ask you to try this against a bag and see which move gets the most power.
    Cheers,
    Badger

11. Xio

Xio Controlled Chaos

Badger, are you a Rhee practitioner? (former/present?)

Are you refering to 6th Kup pattern? Won Hyo? (who really knows how to spell it in English anyway??)

1: Double knife hand block
    2: Same stance (right back) inner knifehand (right hand)
    3:step long back stance side punch (long right back stance)

This is how i know it. I do Rhee Tae Kwon Do.

I heard Rhee trained in the army before coming to AUS but that's about all i know.

12. rtkd-badger

Xio,
    Pleased to meet you, I am a Rhee practitioner in far North Queensland and am currently 6th Kup.
    My instructor (2nd Dan) has taught me to start with a twin forearm block, move to an inner knifehand strike in a forward stance then execute a lunge punch whils in a long backstance, so it would seem that our instuctors have different views on how the pattern should be done, but then again this is not unusual.
    Master Rhee trained under Gen Choi in Korea and left Korea when the General was forced out due to political reasons in the 70's. This was when Master Rhee and his 2 brothers Chong Hyup and Jhoon decided to go alone. Master Rhee founded RTKD in Australia and since then it has just taken off.

13. Xio

Xio Controlled Chaos

Hi Badger,
    Yes i know what you are doing now in your pattern. Your right, our intructors must have different ways of doing it, I will ask him next time i see him. He is also 2nd Dan.

How long have you been in Rhee? I'm currently a 1st Kup, trying to fit a rigorous training schedule in with school. The next grading is in October and i'm trying to sum up the courage to go for my Black Belt after the next Holidays. The worst thing is school, in that my trials are starting soon, and my SC is just after the holidays. I've been doing Rhee TKD for about 3-1/2 years now, and i've been 1st Kup for nearly a year!!

It's good to get some history into these things, Thanks.

/Xio

14. rtkd-badger

I have only been in RTKD since the last week in Feb this year and am currently only 6th Kup, I have challenged myself to gain my Black Belt in 2 years. My next grading is in September where I hope to double grade again and get to 4th Kup so that I can slow down a bit. Im 33 years old and have fractured my back twice so I have some obsticals to overcome but so far am doing ok, first grading almost killed me after having to go 5 rounds with a 1st Kup. Master Rhee is a strict man and does come across very hard but I feel he is a fair man. He has spent the last 35 years travelling the country 10 months of every year to ensure the traditional standards are kept and the RTKD organisation is solid. Master Rhee has 3 daughters and a wife that hardly know him as he has spent his life with his students and keeping the Art strong.
    We are just very lucky to be training it a great Organisation like Rhee Tae
    Kwon Do, we only have one Master and no politics.
    If you have any more questions about RTKD I suggest you ask your instructor or your regional intructor as these people have been up close and personal with Master Rhee.
    All the very best and as Master Rhee says "YUM SENG" (cheers). Badger

15. Twimyo Jirugi

Twimyo Jirugi Me, but not

How come there's never any talk about Grandmaster Ki Ha Rhee?

16. rtkd-badger

Grandmaster Ki Ha Rhee as far as I know is the ITF Vice President and the founder of Taekwon Do in Ireland. He was described by General Choi as the best ever student of the art. I dont really know much more than that.

17. Xio

Xio Controlled Chaos

Thanx Badger. I nearly double graded when i was 6th Kup. I got one point of it so i got a distinction or something instead. I forgot what it was now, but Rhee was really impressed by the way i did some technique. Yeah i'll ask my instructor if i get any more questions. He's the regional instructor in my area so he should know a good bit.

Good luck with your training and your grading.

/Xio

18. imonetwo

imonetwo New Member

Rhee TaeKwon-Do

Dont listen to knockers,there ignorance is only exceded by their knowledge.I teach Rhee TaeKwon-Do for Master Rhee Chong Hyup here in Melbourne and have trained with him for 30 years. To my knowledge Rhee International TaeKwon-Do is the largest privately run TKD school in the World,with clubs not only here in Australia but throughout the pacific as well. No Affiliations,all students are taught by either the Masters Rhee or students of the same. I first trained with Rhee TaeKwon-Do back in the early 70s in a country club and didnt realise that there were clubs in Melb when I moved here,so I looked around,what I saw made me again look for Master Rhee and I havent looked back since. The 3 Masters we have, originally came to Australia to further the interests of the ITF,but soon realised that they also were changing to a "sport style" like the WTF,and did not agree with the overall philosophy.
    I and many thousands of students thank them for this decision. All of the Rhee brothers came from,and taught in various sections of the Korean Army,cant ask for better credentials than that :) So Xio,I hope I have not only answered some of your questions, but also given you some confidence about the style and Master you picked.

19. rtkd-badger

Imonetwo,
    Good to see a fellow practitioner in here as pasionate about our organization as I am.
    There does'nt seem to be many of us here despite the size of RTKD.

20. imonetwo

imonetwo New Member

Rhee TaeKwon-Do

Thank you Badger
    You only had to watch the olympics to realise that as students of the Rhee Brothers, we have a lot to be passionate and proud of.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.