RHEE Tae Kwon Do

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Xio, May 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xio

Xio Controlled Chaos

Does anyone here do this style other than me? There's got to be another. This style of TKD is (i think) only in Australia and we train under Master Chong Chul Rhee (spelling?). At least have any of you guys heard of it?

2. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

I've not heard of "Master Chong Chul Rhee" but in the early to mid 70's my father's teacher was Jhoon Rhee. Any relation?

3. hapkidofighter

hapkidofighter Valued Member

hmmm

are you sure thats not just the name of that guys shcool or federation and not a seperate style of tkd?

4. Xio

Xio Controlled Chaos

No it is a separate style of TKD. It is all across Australia and like i said only in Australia. Jhoon Rhee? mabye one of his ralatives. His name is definately Chong Chul Rhee, he is 8th dan and master of Rhee TKD in Australia. I'm not sure if Rhee TKD is found in Korea but that is where he learnt first then created Rhee style in Australia.

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I think "Rhee" is the Korean equivalent of "Smith."

6. Disciple

Disciple New Member

Actually the equivlents would be Lee and Kim in Korean.... but back to the topic. I have never heard of him and it would be interesting if he were related to the TKD master, Jhoon Rhee.

7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Unless you're saying that Rhee is in fact a fairly uncommon Korean name, this seems a bit pedantic of you. How's this? "Rhee" is a bit like "Harrison" in Korean. :rolleyes:

8. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

Yes, as Xio has said, this style of TKD is all over Australia. My sister did this for some time, and a friend of my brother teaches this style.

9. Xio

Xio Controlled Chaos

Really? where do/did they train and under whom?
    I'm training in NSW in Forster, Great Lakes, under Brent Williams. He's 2nd dan. Master Rhee only comes to our gradings every 3 months.

10. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

Xio,

My sister trained at Raymond Terrace, and my brother’s friend taught at Shoal Bay, in one of the schools. I can’t remember his name at the moment, but I’ll let you know when it comes to mind.

You’re not too far from where I used to live. I lived in Lemon Tree Passage, Port Stephens from about 1980 until 1996.

11. Xio

Xio Controlled Chaos

that's cool. I've got like grandparents that live there, in Lemon Tree Passage. They owned/rent the place with the police station.

12. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

What a top spot, right on the water, just down from Lemon Tree marine. I lived a little further around near the old launching ramp.

13. Xio

Xio Controlled Chaos

Gee, it's a small world!

14. booksie_girl

booksie_girl Lucy the Terrible

A guy who trained at my dojang for a while had Rhee Taekwondo printed on the back of his dobok, the dobok was his brother's I think. But that's here in Aus.

15. Hybrid_Killer

Hybrid_Killer New Member

Hey Xio I used to do Rhee TKD under Peter Mayne in Vauclause.

16. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

I just noticed a flyer in a shop where I live (Caboolture), it must be contagious.

17. Yang Dae-han

Yang Dae-han Realising the 'edit'

Actually, if you want to be pedantic...

Succinctly, 'Lee' and 'Rhee' are the basically the same. North and South Korea have similar names, in that, historically they come from the same lineage (well, somewhat) but have taken differing spellings <i.e. NK didn't accept the "Lee" spelling>. Such as "Jon" vs. "John." Not the greatest example, but you've the idea.

There are several names that have changed, such as my wife's. South Koreans, in general, only are called by their (if this is their surname) "Yoo" names, whereas North Koreans use Ryu (more appropriate spelling is Lyoo). The difference in spelling (in Korean) is exactly the difference between Lee and Rhee.

Oh, actually, a more appropriate spelling of Rhee is "Lee," and Lee should be spelled "Ee". Oh well.

I shan't go into the history of Korean surnames, but it is safe to say that "Lee/Rhee" is equivalent to 'Smith' for countries that have English as their L1.

To the OP, Rhee TKD, to my knowledge, is NOT practiced in Korea (at least the R.O.K.), so I assume it is a splinter style of one of the 'major' organisations.

Cheers,

DH

18. Xio

Xio Controlled Chaos

Yeah that's what it seems like. Since i've only heard of it in Australia. I think Master Rhee first learnt TKD in Korea in the Army and then he created his own branch of TKD in Australia.

19. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

As I understand it, Yi is also considered basically the same. Is that accurate?

20. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Yes, but the problem really is that Korean names also use different Chinese characetrs for their names, and then write the name in the Korean equivalent. Even though there are lots of "Lee/Rhee/Yi" in Korea and their names are spelled the same in Korean, they may have completely different chinese characters to represent them, making their name completely different. All "Lee"s are not related. Furthermore, among people with the same chinese character for their name, they may be distinguished by their "clan" name (or region name), i.e. the place where they first took on the name. So, the Asan "Lee"s and the Kang Kyeong "Lee"s may use the same chinese character but are completely unrelated to eachother. Fun, huh?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.