Review - GM In Sun Seo's Hapkido book

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by Thomas, May 27, 2008.

1. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

서 인 선, 합기도 교본 – Hapkido Textbook: Korean Traditional Martial Arts, 한민족합기도무술협회, © 2008, 380 pages
    Cover Price – 45,000원

Seo In Sun, Hapkido Textbook: Korean Traditional Martial Arts, Hanminjok Hapkido Martial Arts Association, © 2008 (1st printing 1980, subsequent printings 1982,1984,1987,1996,1998,2008 editions), 380 pages
    Price – 45,000 won (approx. $43 US) – note that shipping and handling may increase this significantly.

pp. 1-32 – various photos and information on GM Seo In Sun and his organization(s)
    Section 1 (pp.32-36) – Background of Korean Martial Arts and Kuk Sool
    Section 2 (pp. 37-68) – Background and History of Hapkido, Kuk Sool and other various Korean Martial Arts. Includes an interview with GM In Sun Seo.

Section 3 – Technical Section
    Chapter 1 (pp. 68-97) – Basic etiquette, breakfalls, strikes, wrist grab breakaways
    Chapter 2 (pp. 98-144) –초급반 Beginner Level Material
    Includes the pattern(s) (hyeong 형) – 초급형 Cho Geup Hyeong

Chapter 3 (pp. 145-190) –중급반 Middle Level Material
    Includes the pattern(s) (hyeong 형) -중급형 Joong Geup Hyeong

Chapter 4 (pp. 191-216) –고급반 High Level Material
    Includes the pattern(s) (hyeong 형) -고급형 Go Geup Hyeong

Chapter 5 (pp. 217-241) –대급반 Advanced Level Material
    Includes the pattern(s) (hyeong 형) -대급형 Dae Geup Hyeong

Chapter 6 (pp. 242-349) – 유단과정 Black Belt Level Material
    Includes the pattern(s) (hyeong 형) –
    검무형 Geom Moo Hyeong – “Sword Dance” Pattern (empty handed)
    108기형 108Gi Hyeong – empty hand pattern,
    쌍단봉형 Ssang Dan Bong Hyeong – Double Short Stick Pattern,
    중봉형 Joong Bong Hyeong – Medium Pole (120cm-140cm) Pattern,
    격파형 Kyeok Pa Hyeong – Breaking Pattern (empty handed),
    정검형 Jeong Geom Hyeong – Full Sword Pattern,
    단검 쌍검형 Dan Geom Ssang Geom Hyeong – Double Short Sword Pattern (Butterfly Swords?),
    삼방초형 Sam Bang Cho Hyeong – empty handed pattern,
    역검형 Yeok Geom Hyeong – Straight bladed sword pattern,
    운학형 Oon Hak Hyeong – empty hand pattern

Member Section (pp. 349-380) – pictures, names, and titles of various members of the Hanminjok Association

Links and affiliations:
    한민족합기도무술협회 - Hanminjok Hapkido Martial Arts Association http://www.hmjhapkido.or.kr/

세계 (합) 기도무술협회 – World (Hap) Kido Federation
    http://www.kidohae.com/

대한 국술원 - Korea Kuk Sool Won Federation

Review
    GM Seo In Sun has been involved in Korean Martial Arts for a long time. He was awarded a 1st dan in Hapkido (actually, Yawara) from Choi Yong Sool Dojunim in 1958. He helped his older brother GM Suh In Hyuk establish and develop the World Kuk Sool Won Association. He also served as head of the Korea Kido Association. Later he parted ways with GM Suh In Hyuk and established the Hanminjok Hapkido Association, a kind of umbrella association for (non-Taekwondo) Korean Martial Arts.

This book represents a fascinating cross section of Gm Seo In Sun’s career. The 2008 edition has a strong focus on presenting an overall history of the shaping of the Hapkido arts in Korea and details a lot of the involvement of the various movers and shakers. Some of it may be considered a bit controversial. His general theme (as I translate it anyways) is that the mixing of the material that Choi Yong Sool Dojunim brought back from Japan with various elements of Korean martial arts has created a uniquely Korean art called “Hapkido”. He leaves a lot of room in that definition and this can be seen by his association being very open for membership under his umbrella. This book also ties Kuk Sool Won material into “Hapkido” by essentially defining it as “Hapkido + Kuon Beop (권법)” and he noted that he and his brother studied Hapkido under Choi Yong Sool Dojunim.

The technical material presented is a mix of the old Kuk Sool Won material (photos from the 1980s) intermixed with newer material and hyeongsae (with newer photos mixed in). For anyone interested in the older KSW material, this is quite good. For people interested in following the current hyeongsae (patterns) for Hanminjok Hapkido, the reference pages are good. There are also some really interesting patterns such as for sword and double dan bong.

The techniques themselves are listed by number (not name) and grouped into categories such as “cross hand grab” with some material spread out over several levels. There is material for routine Hapkido things like same side wrist grabs, cross hand grabs, clothing grabs, kneeling defenses, supine and prone defenses, cane techniques, fan techniques, kicking, striking, throwing, and sweeping and so on. The photos are clear and the techniques are in the same order you would see at a seminar or on the various seminar DVDs available out there.

The book itself is softbound and has color pages inserted at the front and back containing old pictures of GM Seo In Sun, reproductions of congratulatory letters, articles and so on. In the back is a color section with pictures of various members of the Hanminjok Association in Korea and abroad. The technical section is in black and white and have clearly labeled captions with each picture. Some photos have been swapped out for newer improved ones.

The biggest disappointment for me with this book is that it is all in Korean. The history and background section is pretty awesome and reflects a desire to be open and honest about the development of the Hapkido arts, something very refreshing compared to the various accounts of Hapkido being a 5000 year old art being secretly passed down in mountain retreats and the like. Some of the translations (e.g. the interview) are available online but with sections missing.

Hopefully the World (Hap)Kido Federation will offer an “official” English language translation of this work at some point. :)

As a Hanminjok member, I find this book to be excellent, even if just for the reference to the techniques and patterns. Being able to understand a lot of the Korean text makes the “history” section and such very valuable as well. However, a person looking for a more generic Hapkido reference with a good history section in English may check out Dr Kimm He-young’s Hapkido I instead… it’s a bit more expensive and less convenient to carry around but it covers pretty much the same techniques and history in English. I would recommend GM Seo’s book to all Hanminjok members, interested Kuk Sool Won people and as a text of general interest in Hapkido, keeping in mind the detractions that being only in Korean can cause. Personally I love this book!

2. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

Hi, Thomas:

How would say this book differs from the 2-vol set that the KUKSOOLWON people use?

Can you compare and contrast it with the KUKSOOLWON book by KIMM He-young?

Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

3. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

Sounds great... .save the fact it's all in Korean. :)

Still tho, how does one go about purchasing a copy of this book?

4. Thomas

I don't know. I haven't read either of those (although now I am thinking I should check one or the other out).

I think it compares favorably to Dr. Kimm's Hapkido though. Much of the material is pretty much the same "techniques" although GM Seo uses deeper/longer stances and more striking in the techniques. Also, where Dr. Kimm's book is on a huge scale, with about 4 pictures per (large) page, GM Seo's is smaller, often with as many as 8 or 10 pictures per page and more than 1 series on a page sometimes. Being softbound and more compact makes it an easier to carry reference.

I think though that GM Seo's book seems to be more set up as a "reference" volume, with a quick and easy set of pictures for the techniques and for the patterns. Sometimes precise details are not "as clear" as other books may show but I presume it's expected that you "learn" the material first and use the book as a reference. Same with the patterns.

There is a lot of introductory and expanatory material, especially on the history and much of it is pretty staright forward and "honest". For that I think this volume really sets a trend and shows its real value. Unfortunately, being only in Korean, that limits it. But, maybe that will encourage others to follow suit.

5. Thomas

Best bet would be to contact http://www.kidohae.com/ and send an e-mail. I have had great luck in the past contacting Sara Seo at HQ and getting prices for various available items.

6. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

Thanx, Thomas. I have sent them an email and we'll see how it goes.

Well, the email bounced (websabum@kidohae.com). I tried emailing their hanminjok webmaster... we'll see if that turns up anything.

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  7. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

Since the emails didn't work out, I left a phone message at the World Kido Federation HQ.

I just got a return phone call (I believe from Sara Seo) saying that all the copies of the book that are out now are just the pre-orders. She said the book will be publicly available in July at a cost of $50 plus shipping. She said since I was interested, she'd put my name on a list and once the book is ready and shipping in July that she'd contact me then to arrange for payment and shipping information.

Cool beans. :)

8. SUNGJADO

SUNGJADO New Member

KIDO mail

Sara's e-mail is saseo@kidohae.com

I haven't received my pre-ordered copy as yet, but am looking forword to it.
    Thanks for the review Thomas.

george

9. shimajiro

shimajiro Valued Member

Well based on the contents in Thomas's first post in this thread. this book is virtually identical to the KSW Text's in terms of content. While I personally have no concern about it, If this is supposed to be the latest and greatest "bible" of HKD,, then KSW and HKD are one in the same. So congratulations! HKD & KS folks you are officially,formally, and indistinguishably, not only related , but twin brothers. let the fray begin!!!!!

10. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

Yes, yes..... same old love-hate relationship thats been going on for years. Everyone wants to be a Chief, and noone wants to be an indian. My only beef is why the KSW people had to make-up so much stuff when there was already enough material on its own. It also would have helped if the SEO-SUH brothers had been a bit more candid about what they were about from Day One rather than shovel so much crap for so long. But the same goes for the HWARANGDO folks as well. But thats all over and done with, now.

SEO In Sun has his own organization AND his own style of Hapkido.

SUH In Hyuk has his own organization and a cadre of admirers as well.

LEE Joo Bang, likewise, has his retinue and his own organization.

Oh, and Hapkido? Oh, well, it continues to toddle along, taking its lumps. Not that any of the aforementioned give a happy G-D. Afterall they got what THEY wanted, right? FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

11. shimajiro

shimajiro Valued Member

They certainly did ....... LOL

12. Hyeongsa

Hyeongsa The Duelist

how would i get this book? do i need to be a member of the world kido federation, or can i purchase this from the KIDO federations site?

13. Thomas

http://www.kidohae.com/

14. Hyeongsa

Hyeongsa The Duelist

thank you sir! i appreciate it.

15. AFHA

AFHA New Member

Thomas,

What is the status of this book? Are they now selling it in english?

Thanks
    Jeff Brown
    American Freestyle Hapkido Association
    www.afha-hapkido.yolasite.com

16. Thomas

As far as I know, it is not available in English.