Returning to compete on over-35's circuit

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Jocky Balboa, May 14, 2023.

1. Jocky Balboa

Jocky Balboa Valued Member

Hi all,

I hope we are all keeping well and our training is continuing to improve, after the various disruptions of the last few years. As the thread title suggests, I am looking to return to competing in Kickboxing in the Veterans categories and would be hugely grateful for any advice members can give.

In brief, my background is in Muay Thai, Kickboxing and JKD, but due to a serious knee injury I sustained over a decade ago (required four surgeries and many, many months of painful physio and rehabilitation) I returned to train full contact with low kicks, but only competed in light-contact Kickboxing, to protect the knee.

After my kids were born, I continued to train but due to family priorities I didn't feel able to commit to competition. Now that they are old enough to start training alongside me (they started in Jan 2020 and despite the on/off training due to lockdowns, they're doing great) I have more time and have had a few exhibition matches under light-continuous rules. I'm still in great shape for my age, despite having to watch the knee, and am looking to take part in tournaments in the Veteran (over-35's) categories.

With all in mind, I'd love to hear from others who have continued to fight beyond 35 and what, if any, advice they can impart in order to maximise the experience?

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I've not been in your position, but kudos for getting your kids involved and keeping yourself going!

From watching bouts regularly, I think you have to accept that you've lost speed over the 20 something year olds, and work on movement, countering and tactics. My instructor, who is a former Olympic level competitor, mentioned an apposite situation recently where an older competitor under light continuous rules accepted getting a light punch to the head (1 point in our sparring) in exchange for him scoring a roundhouse to the body (2 points).

Of course, that depends on how confident you are in your head movement and the scorers :)