Retirement

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Kuma, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Hi guys. I've been away for a while and a few PMs got me to finally post what's been going on with me.

Due to medical reasons I had to unfortunately retire from virtually all types of martial arts training late last year. It's been a difficult transition as that's all I've done in the past 14 years but it's either retire or undergo some very invasive surgery that will still not entirely fix the problem. I keep up with my boxing a bit, but otherwise all combat sports are out for me.

I didn't post here on MAP for that time as I don't really train anymore. I've moved on and started taking my other hobbies to the next level, specifically traditional bowhunting and bushcraft, so that's what I'll be up to for the most part. Otherwise I sadly can't do any martial arts training and it's still a bit raw for me sometimes to catch word about it.

I appreciate you guys thinking about me though, and wish you all the best.

2. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

So sorry to hear that dude, you've been an awesome part of these forums for a long time.

Keep us posted about the bowhunting and bushcraft?

3. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

As soon as it's not too raw for you to deal with, make sure you come around for some conversation every once in a while. Teach us some of that there bushcraft and bow hunting.

Best of luck to you and yours, good to hear from you.

4. Da Lurker

Da Lurker Valued Member

gonna miss you, you big teddy bear... :cry:

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Wait, what? Bowhunting counts. Lots of people interested in archery here, it seems to me. :)

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

You were missed big guy

Even if you aren't active your insight is invaluable - drop in and see us as often as you can

Are you over at www.bushcraftusa.com yet?

7. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

I'm sorry to hear that kuma, I for one have always enjoyed your input and will miss it. All the best, and good luck with the bushcraft! There's nothing like the outdoors

8. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Good to hear an update--I've often wondered what you had gotten up to these past few months. All the best to you and ap is right--archery, in its myriad forms, counts!

9. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Thank you for the update Kuma and I wish you well.

Good luck in whatever direction your life takes you.

10. shootodog

shootodog restless native

We missed you big bear!

Boxing is still a martial art!

Bow hunting, now that is a great discipline. What bow do you use? Matthew Single Cam? Pull weight?

Bushcraft is another great discipline! Especially with the comin Z-pocalypse. I learned mine from the Aeta tribe here in Subic. Lovely people. Great techniques.

Get well soon Kuma!

11. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Thanks everyone. Maybe someday I'll come back and post regularly but for now it's still tough sometimes to see the training and the desire to get back to it. I am enjoying my inner mountain man right now though - my wife has said if it wasn't for her and the boys, nobody would ever hear from me again if I had my way (she may be right).

shootodog - I shoot a recurve actually. 50# draw weight. Used to be a compound shooter but the traditional route is alluring to me. I'd like to try a longbow though sometime soon.

12. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Do whatever is best for you and hope you heal up!

You're still a wealth of knowledge that many here will still benefit from :)

13. shootodog

shootodog restless native

We all need to get away from it all sometimes. Just make sure you come back.

Recurve are harder to pull. 50# must give you some decent distance. I can hardly pull 60# on a single cam (yeah i work hard the first few inches).

Good luck!

14. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Get well soon Kuma, Always enjoyed your posts and insights into Kyokushin.

All the best

Dan

15. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

damn, was wondering why you hadn't been active for a while.

best of luck, man, get well soon!

16. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

If you just let your right hand to grab on your left wrist, your left arm tries to break that hold, your right hand tries to hold on your left wrist, you are training MA. MA training can be as simple as standing on one leg as long as you can. When I was a kid, I used to put a nuts among my 3 finger tips and try to squeeze and crack it.

There are just so many things to train in MA. There is no need to stop it completely. When I'm 90 years old, I will still let my right hand to fight against my left hand. The moment that you start your MA training, you only quit the day that you die.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  17. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

Best of luck to you Kuma! Hope things work out for you somehow. In the meantime, enjoy the bowhunting. It's something I have always wanted to try but never have, other than the odd attempt at bowfishing when i was a kid.

18. embra

embra Valued Member

Best of luck Kuma. Some of your 'Great yarn' Troll un-windings were absolutely epic.

Taking to the outdoors sounds good. Take it easy and enjoy life buddy.

19. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

I never got to know you Kuma,

However, I do enjoy bushcraft, fishing and camping. So whenever you decide to return and start a bushcraft thread, I'd love to chitchat. This summer, given I have free time, I'd like to pick up fly fishing. Funny thing is, my fathers friend and I use to make flies when I was very young and I loved it, that's something else id like to get back into. My soon to be wife competed in the Canada winter game, archery recurve, we have been wanting to go to the indoor range together for a while but, with the kids, it has been hard to make time.

Plus, as has been stated by others, it is always nice to have a voice of experience around. I always value feed back. I hope to chat with you soon Kuma, best wishes.

20. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

umm just curious does that include internal martial arts? You'll probably won't know me, but anyways good luck to you sir (bow's down)