Retirement...never thought it was that close

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Xue Sheng, Jul 1, 2019.

1. ned

ned Valued Member

Certainly in the UK I think there are far less jobs now where you can see out your time until retirement age with an adequate company pension. My friend works for the county council and every year all jobs are up for appraisal meaning you have to re-apply annually.
    At least having a trade and being self employed means you can carry on working as needs be and then hopefully wind it down when you hit the mid 60's (or sooner hopefully).
    That is if you don't get injured or hurt, a prime reason for older folks to keep up martial arts and maintain a fit and supple body.

Dead_pool likes this.
  2. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

update, I just discovered, technically I can retire in 5 years....it seems I was off by a year...1 year closer than I thought......it still seems a bit surreal

Although there is also the possibility of getting laid because of budget issues related to Covid

3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Well it is the oldest profession. We wont judge

jmf552, axelb, Anth and 3 others like this.
  4. Xue Sheng

Well that is a rather embarrassing typographical error with rather poor proof reading on my part....forgot the "off" sorry

should have been "Although there is also the possibility of getting laid off because of budget issues related to Covid"

axelb likes this.
  5. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Ah to wish for more budget issues all round based on the original typo :D

Xue Sheng likes this.
  6. Xue Sheng

a retirement incentive is likely coming soon, I've seen the bill and guess what, I qualify, I did not expect that. However I do not think I will take it if it comes. I want to go out at a higher pay grade so I am still looking at 5 to 7 years. But it is a real odd feeling to know I actually could retire this year. Dang I'm old.

axelb likes this.
  7. Mushroom

I sometimes think...wow. 20 years till I "retire". Its not long at all.

axelb likes this.
  8. Xue Sheng

You know, I never thought that. Pretty much until I started this thread I always thought it was a long way off.....and now...technically, it is closer than I originally thought...its here......if I want to take it

axelb likes this.
  9. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

By the time we get there, I expect the government will have raised it at least 10 years :rolleyes:

I've worked with people who made some "good choices" in work and life, and retired early 50s, I couldn't believe it when they told me!

10. Grond

Grond Valued Member

"They say the number one killer of old people is retirement." Budd, Kill Bill: Vol. 2.

11. Xue Sheng

I'm going to be teaching taijiquan and maybe xingyi and bagua....so it is just going from one job I am real tired of to one I enjoy

Grond likes this.
  12. Xue Sheng

technically for full retirement, as far as the government is concerned (social security), they raised it 2.5 years on me. My parent would have had 6 years from what my age is now. I have 8.5 years

axelb likes this.
  13. Mushroom

My current choice is 55-60. My Dad worked till he was close to 70. Restaurant life is hard work but he did chef-work.

However I do potentially semi retire every Tues , Weds, Fri and Saturdays....those 6 numbers keep disappointing me though lol

14. Xue Sheng

I could have gone at 55 too, if I had the years. I now have the years, but I will wait for a few more

15. Xue Sheng

Well, I have the years to qualify, and I was not considering, but recent events are making me consider retirement.
    Lots of folks retiring, before the incentive, which is good because that leaves the item open to be filled and one of those is a direct advancement for me.
    But they can't do that at this time, pandemic and budget issues you know. so no advancement, but I do get the privilege of adding all his duties to mine, and that effectively doubles what I am responsible for
    And then a miracle happened....a political friend to someone...was not working at a high enough salary...the same or a little less than I make currently.....and miracle of miracles...cue angelic music and lights from above.....they get that job....but not the duties...those are still mine

16. Xue Sheng

Well, it official, got word from the boss (Mrs Xue) I can retire in 4 years...but I think she is using the wrong number to figure ....using the right number it is 6 years....but I'm not telling here ;) I know better than to tell her she is wrong :D

axelb likes this.
  17. Kemposhot

Kemposhot Valued Member

I too work for New York State. I’m about the halfway point, still have about 12 years to go. Over the beginning of my career I occasionally looked into the pension system and all the extras but never paid it much attention because it always seemed far off. Also, with the tier system changes (I was hired in the newer tier, although not the newest) there was always less information because everyone was still figuring it out.

Much of 2020 I’ve begun reading into it more. It comes up fast, like yourself, I would like to work and teach/do some martial arts related activities when I finally get there. Because of the crazy hours I’ve kept, Martial Arts has always had to be squeezed in when I can, I look forward to the day, God willing, that my main activity will be going to a Martial Art class and practicing. Best of luck to you! Please keep us posted on what you do on this road to retirement and where you end up.

18. Xue Sheng

Well, it appears I am retiring, at least part of the time, to Montreal. Mrs Xue convinced me to buy a house there, mostly because she wanted one, and wanted to retire outside of the USA. But I still have about 6 years before I retire

axelb and Kemposhot like this.
  19. Kemposhot

Kemposhot Valued Member

Congratulations on the plans coming together!

Xue Sheng likes this.
  20. Xue Sheng

Just discovered I can actually retire in 2 years, without penalty, with full retirement..... now I have to think about this, should I stay or should I go and what wold be the advantages to both

hewho, axelb and Kemposhot like this.