Results Of My 1st Kung Fu Tournament

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by stonze, Jun 9, 2013.

1. stonze

stonze Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drOlQGhC9SU"]Golden Pyramid Martial Arts Tournament 2013 - YouTube[/ame]

This was my very first tournament I took place in. It was held at the Golden Pyramid Martial Arts Center, where I study and train. The tournament hosted self defense, katas, weapons katas, chambras, a kumatie, and Jiu Jitsu. I competed in The self defense, chambra, and kata sections.

I participated in the self defense section, the kata, and the chambra. I walked away with a 2nd place trophy in self defense, a 1st place medal in the kata, and a 2nd place medal in the chambra.

Drop me some feedback guys and let me know what you all think. I'm so excited to be able to walk away with something from my very 1st tournament.

2. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Congratulations on your wins. I'd be curious to know what you're hoping to achieve with your martial arts training, as that will influence my response.

3. stonze

stonze Valued Member

I want to achieve the better health benefits you get from the arts, I want to get a better understanding on the kung fu fighting system, and I want to have the confidence to know that I can defend myself to the best of my abilities if a situation ever comes down to it.

4. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I would recommend taking up boxing, or, if you want to learn swordwork, Kendo, HEMA or fencing, to supplement your training. Even just one night a week would be a good idea. What exactly is chambra?

5. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I am going to respectfully disagree with this advice. At least for now. Spend some time working on the basics in one system before tackling learning the principles of two at the same time.

Give it a year, then supplement with another style if you feel the need.

6. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

7. stonze

stonze Valued Member

thanks for the feed and advice bro

8. stonze

stonze Valued Member

yea, i'm going to develope more skill and get deeper into kung fu b4 i step into another lane.
    I want to learn at least 2 animal forms in kung fu b4 i decide to do something else.

9. Kave

Kave Lunatic

Chanbara is the deadly art of fighting with pool noodles.

10. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

There are kata in kung fu? I thought that was a Japanese thing. I do karate (lots of kata), but I think the kung fu forms like 9 dragons and Longfist are more interesting. :)

11. aaradia

His school also teaches karate. They seem to mix and match the Japanese terms with their Kung-Fu curriculum.

12. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Yeah it gets confusing, personally as a KF guy I wouldn't be offended but its like going to a French culture class but naming everything in German.
    But hey, its not Stonez's fault, its how he's taught.

Also Stonez, apologies but can you please type in full. Text speak is not allowed on MAP.

Thanks.

13. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Looks like you had a blast, well done.

If you enjoy chanbara then great but if you want to learn sword then it would best to seek out other instruction.

I'm not sure how you view your chanbara so if you see it for what it is then I'm sorry for pointing out the obvious.

14. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

They seem to be a bit confused about which terms to use. The capoeira teacher is a yellow rope sash in Senzala. :dunno:

15. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

What! There are certainly no sashes in capoeira! How can a rope be a sash anyway!

16. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Hey stonze......THANKS FOR SHARING

I can tell you are passionate about what you do.

That said, "inner school tournaments" have both; "pros and cons"

In other words, the good things about "inner school tournaments";
    * Less competition, less stress
    * Less politics, less favoritism
    * Less financial obligations-entry fees, travel

The bad things about "inner school tournaments";
    * Without different competition, no additional means to improve
    * No chances of meeting other martial artists to improve martial art feedback or social skills
    * Creates complacency. Could create a single minded outlook not looking beyond own school-methods

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  17. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

And while we're at it, why in the name of Ogun is a yellow cord teaching classes? :jawdrop:

18. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Too right! I was so taken by the sash thing that I completely neglected that aspect.

19. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Whereas we all have our crtiticisms, this thread in particular is about a member posting a vid of their 1ST Tournamant

There are many questionable things going on at his school, merely by reflection of what he has been posting.

In other words, needless to say, he seems like a complete beginner

That said, I am willing to push that aside (for now), to make him feel comfortable and share his ventures

20. aaradia

Agreed. That is why I answered the question, but was very careful to word it in a way that took out any judgement.

Stonze, congrats on your first tournament!