resting sucks

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by harhar, Apr 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

I lost 3 friggin pounds after a week of rest... I've had some injuries so I rested last week. Going back at the squats yesterday, Im still stuggling to set new personal record (going on for 2 months+ now).

I just didnt feel stronger at all..I just lost 3lbs of LBM and feel weaker but thats it (Got ****ed and now Im eating like a pig to gain it back). I guess the weeks rest things just not right for everyone. Been weight training for about 7 months straight before the resting week and I did absolutely no exercise during that week.

But getting back to training does make me happy :) .

2. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

7 months straight without a break? Christ, no wonder you feel crappy. Get some more rest!

3. Maverick

Maverick New Member

Strange, afaik it takes longer than that to see losses in strength/muscle mass. Perhaps you've just lost water or fat? If your poundages haven't gone down then don't worry about it.

4. Jasonds23

Jasonds23 Banned Banned

Yeah I'm going on a diet to, seeking new management....

5. Blooming Lotus

Blooming Lotus Banned Banned

Yah!!!!! and eat more while you're resting aswell! ;)

6. Jasonds23

Jasonds23 Banned Banned

Look, I weigh 155, are you mad yet? :confused:

7. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

that might have been the problem.. I kinda slacked off in the eating.. I ate when I was hungry and my protein intake wasnt that high.

8. ClubbellTrainer

ClubbellTrainer Fitness Coach

I agree with Adam. Get more rest, on a regular basis. You will get much better gains by taking a couple days off each week, and by getting enough sleep each night.

Every 3-6 weeks, take 2-4 days off in a row and then start a new program.

Lean body mass doesn't drop that fast unless your nutrition is poor. Each right every day and you will keep what you've gained when you take rests of a week or less.

9. Blooming Lotus

A good protein intake is always important for a number of reasons but the idea with the rest period is to A. fortify your system with extra carbs to replenish particularly your spleen and strengthen the quality and consistency of your blood and nervous system and B. to create a "cushion" of excess gyclogen ( muscle sugars) so when you phase back out of your building and recoup stage, and back into a higher caloric demand and system load, your body has something to reach for. If you do it this way, you should find that as you come back into your new cycle you'll have much more energy, feel vital and cope better with your new higher load.

Personally, being fml I usually try to phase around my menstrual cycle making it a 4 week cycle and tapering off and going more estringent and high protein , cutting some carbs as the period ends and take a few extra carbs to load each four or so days. If you need more, by all means take them but particularly for men trying to retain or build mass, your protein ( being the glue that converts your carbs to muscle ) is going to matter. Something to keep in mind anyway.

Blooming Lotus

Last edited: Apr 7, 2005
  10. Jasonds23

Jasonds23 Banned Banned

Hi, I'm officer Sheets, and I'm gonna have to ask you to come with me, to the uh,..dieting hall. Yes, I'm afraid it's G-14 classified.... :) (that movie rocks)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2005
  11. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

Who is this Jasonds and what's the point of his seemly random replys?

12. Blooming Lotus

lol........

you won't be the first officer I've taken their for nutritional advice I can assure you . :D :D

BL

13. ninjamonkey

ninjamonkey New Member

You sound like my textbook... :) you forgot that we also add these rest periods to make sure we're not overtraining, but meh.

Oh, and I was just ignoring that Jasonds guy but now that you mentioned it, yeah, he is pretty random, also because I haven't seen him on here before

14. Blooming Lotus

Overtraining has more to do with how you're recovering ( rest and nutrition) than what you're actually doing but meh......... ;)

BL

15. Ad McG

I agree to a point. If someone is hugely overtraining physically, there is little you can do recovery and nutrition wise. You can do as much as you can, but if the volume and intensity is too high, then you will burn out no matter what nutrition and rest you're using.

16. Blooming Lotus

I'm going to have to disagree with you myself. For the general public you're probably right but I have personally trained up to 12 hrs a day at good intensity over up to 6 mths at a time 6 and 7 days a week every week and fueled it aswell. Usually it's probably only 4 -8 hrs a day at times between, but even that is totally reliant on my abilty to rest and nourish my body properly. I never to extremely rarely get sick and never don't have enough energy. If I do , it's because I let slip on one of the above. It definately needs more information to do safely but overtraining is only a result of not doing these things. Sorry, but that's my experience.

cheers

BL

17. Jasonds23

Jasonds23 Banned Banned

Break time rant

Try training hard core for 2-3 years...

After which some dude, who won't step out in the open on a
    flippin tube! for Christ sakes! and then apologizing for some sick
    twisted Terrorist who is at large, because no one can relate to
    wing chun by german guy.

Can you pull rope, carry steel, drive nails, hang sheet rock
    and siding 50 ft in the air? For starters...then get fired a few times.

Now try overdosing on some meds for a few years, go homeless,
    do some narcs, listen to the critics, and watch a few interactive TV programs, through a windo of a freakin resuraunt.

After everyones convinced you've lost your $%#$@%#
    sanity over and over, try getting it back a couple times,
    then after that, put yourself on a guilt trip for believing
    all the bullhockey.....

MAYBE, you could kick my ass, but right now, I'm taking a break.
    If they don't like it, sue me. I'll send their check back to em.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    excuse my profanity, I'll be at the jail taking a breather.

18. Maverick

Maverick New Member

Reading your posts is better than smoking marijuana, Jasonds23.

:Alien:

19. davethekodiak

davethekodiak Valued Member

yeah, but have you ever read jasonds23 posts... on weed!? :D

20. Ad McG

I don't mean just MA training, I'm talking about heavy, high intensity weight training as well as cardio. There is only a certain amount your body can take. Yes, you can become very fit and take a lot with the correct nutrition and rest (check out the world fitness 24hour challenge!), but there is always a limit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.