Rest period help

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Sketco, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

I'm creating a new schedule for myself so i can balance school and training more easily. It's supposed to be a hot summer and i like being an early riser during summer for this reason.

I can schedule in about 4-5 hours of training and on the days where I don't have class I'll be doing most of it in the morning.

My morning training will consist of a few basic bodyweight exercises like squats, pushups, and crunches, wing chun forms and a power exercise with the luk dim book kwan. The pole works co-ordination as well as the shoulders, forearms, shoulder stabilizing muscles, lats a little, and legs a little, while the forms mostly tax the leg muscles from standing and moving in yee gee kim yeung ma for several minutes at a stretch.

I'm not quite sure how long the rest periods for this type of exercise should be and whether i can switch off from one exercise to another like: pole exercise, crunches, siu lim tao, pushups, chum kiu, pole, squats....

What would you guys recommend for rest periods?

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

4-5 hours of training over what time frame? The day or the week?

3. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

The day. My classes are 4 hours at a stretch on tuesday and thursday and saturday is 8-9 hours. So i figure training at home 4-5 hours on monday and wednesday and rest days on sunday and thursday.

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

If you can break it up I'd say it's probably going to be more effective to go for the two hour stretch at a time. So two hours in the morning and two hours in the evening. If you can work that with enough recovery time between on your non-work out days you're golden.

5. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Okay but as for between sets of siu lim tao, chum kiu, the pole power/coordination thrust exercise, and the bodyweight exercises what should i do for rest periods?

Siu lim tao generally takes about ten minutes and is very taxing on the legs from standing in one place with bent legs. Chum kiu takes about one or two minutes and is moderately taxing on the legs because I'm moving and the pole exercise is heavily taxing on the shoulders and forearms.
    Pushups, crunches, and squats you know..

So how long for rest between the exercises would you say if I'm breaking it up into two 2 hour sessions?

6. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Anyone?