Resistance is futile

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Please reality, Feb 19, 2014.

1. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

!

I had not realised I had discussed "physical movements and techniques" in that post.

My error? Could you point to it, I still am confused.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  2. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

A ninja video that is bad? Did you really ask for that!? I think I misunderstood you.

But my point is even practitioners of the art cannot agree what is good and not good.

I do not practice Takamatsuden arts or whatever you want to call it.
    In my own style, no, I am not particularly skilled. I have my strengths but I have much to learn.
    Yes, others in my org would tell you different. It is their own lack of experience that makes them think I am more skilled than I am.

3. gapjumper

Hohoho

No I meant a vid of you and your "style". For comparison you understand.

Your last paragraph, was that a joke or for realz?

:D

4. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

Not a joke. I have only been in this style for about a year and am a green belt(6th kyu). Because of my previous MA experience I can hold my own with others of higher rank than me. Because of this some of the inexperienced students think I am better than I am. I am mediocre with some good foundation.

I really don't understand what you are getting at with the video, comparison to what? Why?
    Practitioners of my art could agree generally with what is good or bad within the art.
    We don't make claims that it is some deadly fighting style that will make people invincible ort even make you so good that resistance is futile.

5. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Also there are 2 different ways to resist against your opponent.

1. Use force against force - such as to block a punch.
    2. Borrow force and yield - such as step back and create distance.

This may not make much difference in the striking art. But in the throwing art, these 2 different kind resisting from your opponent will help you to develop different kind of combo skill.

6. gapjumper

Most of us agree on what is good or bad.

So what is your point?

I suggested posting a video of yourself to see your reaction. I guess now I see.

On the grading issue though. You seem to suggest you are graded too low?

How do you see "resistance is futile" as a declaration of supreme ability? Are you confusing it with Star Trek?

7. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

You asked what level of experience people are coming to this discussion from and from what quality of instruction. That's what I answered.

8. Grass hopper

That's what martial arts are, physical movements and techniques. Not wizardry.

9. Grass hopper

There are a ton of ways to resist a throw. You could shift weight to redirect force, use a stance to direct force to the ground, sink yours enter of mass, change your position in relation to your opponent to take away their force, etc etc.

10. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

It's okay if you don't agree or understand what points I'm trying to make, that's why this is in the Ninjutsu forum. People with experience in this art who has crossed paths with the Shihan or tried to hit Hatsumi sensei will have a clue about what I mean, whereas people outside the art might not hear anything but an Atlantis inspired millennium prophesy. It is pretty much laid out in the OP that this is an advanced concept, can't be achieved without training in ways that people like you and others who criticize the level of intensity towards trying to defeat technique in practice recommend, and that only a few people can do what I'm describing.

What if none of that works because you don't realize you are being thrown until your balance is broken, you are out of position, in pain, and suddenly airborne?
    :dunno:

If you trip on a crack in the pavement and fall, did the sidewalk throw you or did you throw yourself? Is there a way to become the sidewalk or is it always necessary to do the throw yourself?

11. kevin g

kevin g Valued Member

If they have time to resist a throw or hold, then it's too late. Disengage, headbutt them in the nose to get their mind off of getting thrown, then go for a different throw or hold. Resistance training is great when training, but in a real situation, if they have time to resist then it's just wrasslin', and the stronger guy will win.

My teacher calls it "turning up the heat", or boiling a frog. Anyone can resist seoi-nage, either with a reversal or sheer strength, but if you hit his eyes with ryu ken first, then the throw should be the last thing on his mind.

12. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

To a degree I agree with you.

I have a question and I say this with little to no knowledge of Ninjutsu, though I do have an understanding of balance, posture and structure from Tai Chi.

In isolation it can be easy to disrupt someone, or even have then knock themselves over with little movement yourself.

In a real one on one, scary as hell, with a loved one and can't run away situation, do you PR feel Ninjutsu as you practice it can really cope better than any other art?

Could you put it in an MMA ring and expect to come out victorious?

If you say I'm comparing apples to oranges I totally accept that, but if that's the case Ninjutsu at the level you are fortunate enough to train it is just at the higher end of the art, and so many of us have the same in our own art(s).

Not all boxers could train with Ali, Norton, Tyson, like not all JKD practitioners can train with Lee/Inosanto, Karateka train with Joe Lewis and so on.

Do you feel the top of the Ninjutsu tree can hang with, or be even better than the very top in all other arts, or am I really comparing apples to oranges?

Have you trained with these top level practitioners in these other arts to be able to make a comparison?

I'd like to say again that I'm asking from a level of ignorance when it comes to Ninjutsu, indeed Japanese arts in general, not because I'm trying to be flippant

13. Please reality

The things that make the masters of these arts different is that they are just as tough as nails and badarse as you would expect from any other master martial artist, but they have a subtlety of movement and strategy that I think would make a big difference if they ever clashed.

No problem, I appreciate your questions. Ninjutsu in and of itself is basically just dirty fighting with weapons, surprise, and cheating, so of course it beats everything else out there. You turn up for the match and he's already set traps for you, has friends and weapons, and doesn't adhere to the agreed upon rules, has the ref stungun you while you are in the corner, and everything else. Now some of the other arts in the system are a bit nicer, but not by much. Remember, the samurai wanted to win and get the spoils of their wars, not die for their lord(though they weren't beyond that and often did when other options were still available-they'd much rather have you die and they get some reward for it).

14. Grass hopper

You're speaking in riddles again.

15. Grass hopper

Let me get this straight, when you give make all these claims about throwing someone without them knowing it and such, do you mean stabbing them and throwing them? Blinding them with a ninja egg? All that stuff?

16. Please reality

I've been explaining from the beginning how some of it is accomplished, there is more but not for public forums(and no it isn't brainwashing or something cultish or anything like that).

17. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Take an example from BBT, the big "step back and block" motion...now most people realize (or should by now) is a strike as much as a block...what people may not see is the OTHER hand which is held lower at the back and looks so archaic

It's drawing a weapon

So the "draw back to block" movement leads someone to move into the next technique, which may indeed be quite final

I think that is the point PR is making - you don't even see the final move because you are being led to it. A lot of the world class BJJ guys I have played with do the same thing...well without the sharp pointy things that is

Rickson used to say what limb, what technique and count down from ten ("left arm armbar in 10-9-8....") and hit it every time. Resistance was indeed futile!

18. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

dup, deleted.

19. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Agree! Sometime "resisting" is not the best solution. If you resist the 1st time, you may have to resist the 2nd time, or even the 3rd time. Your problem is still not resolved yet. The "yielding" may be a better solution.

1. resist - if you want, I won't give to you (conservative thinking).
    2. yield - if you want, I'll give to you more than you can handle (aggressive thinking).

The "resisting" may be just for defense, but the "yielding" can be used for offense.

For example, when you opponent applies hip throw on you. You can

- resist by sinking down. This will give him a chance to use inner hook to take you down backward.
    - yield by spinning along with him and drag him down to the ground.

20. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

There is "resist" as in "try to stop a given technique" or "resist" as in "I am not king to let you do anything to me and I will fight back"

There is a subtle difference