Representing your art?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Taoquan, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Taoquan

Taoquan Valued Member

Hey all,
    I will admit that I am not that knowledgable on most MA (outside the "IMAs") and have been watching The History Channel's Human weapon series. I know the show has been discussed before, but now I am curious. Anyone that has watched the show do you feel it represents your art well?

I mean do you feel that this show gives "lay people" enough info, b/g, ideologies or philosophies of your art? So someone like me could make an educated decision of if such and such art is for me?

What do you all think?

Sorry if this aspect of the show has been discussed before, but I don't believe it has.

2. tideliar

tideliar Valued Member

I like the show, but it gets a bit repetitive and that can make it hard to focus on the story, instead of the hosts.

I do Muay Thai, and seeing as I'm not a diminutive Thai living in Bangkok, I enjoyed learning about the history of my MA :)

I guess I feel I have to "trust" the producers when it comes to the historical and philosophical aspects of other MAs. Bill & Jason (I feel I can use first names here LOL) seem so desperately earnest I feel I believe them...

3. watts

watts Valued Member

The Wing Chun part was only a very brief part of the kung fu progame, basically they more or less dismissed it as being rubbish.

It was quite annoying when the WC teacher punched his student in the solar plexus and made him vomit, to me this highlighted two important things

1) the WC teacher was an *******

2) his student was not used to taking punches and had zero body conditioning.

So logically.. the teacher does not usally punch his students but did so just for the camera.

I would have loved to see one of the presenters being pitched aginst a wing chun fighter, any guesess to what the result would be??

4. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

The presenter would have ate a couple punches and took the WC guy to the ground, just a guess mind you.

5. XT18

XT18 Banned Banned

I have this episode downloaded on my computer and i dont see how they dissmised wing chun as rubbish they were actually pretty impressed with the demo the wc guys did.

1.) the teacher goes hard on his students and thats how its suppose to be in my eyes to many wing chun schools train like pussies and get squashed in real fights a teacher like that will only do positive things for them and get them ready for real fights with strong opponets.

Thats in china too so they might not have the laws like they do in usa maybe thats why there is so many crappy wc schools in usa since the teachers are scared to hit and train their students hard so they dont get sued.

2.)Funny how can you say that his student wasent use to fighting and had no conditioning.... just because he got punched and threw up after dosent mean his weak more like his teacher knows how to punch real hard i punched many people in their chest and stomach and i never made anyone puke... even the weakest kids there had to be alot of power in that punch.

And as for them fighting a wing chun guy they probly would win they have some mma experience with rules i never see a wing chun guy standing a chance something i never saw was fights with 0 rules with wc guys but it also comes down to how you train.

6. watts

watts Valued Member

A teacher beating up his skinny students does not equal him being hard, it equals him being a bit of a muppet.

When was the last time you saw a boxer vomiting after being punched? does not happen very often does it? because they are physically conditioned and are used to receiving punches.

It is nothing to do with laws, if that was the case then Muay Thai, Boxing and MMA would not exist in the west.

They dismissed Wing Chun because they did not use any of it and made a comment about one punch was not enough (rewatch the video). Where as they are often trying out actual techniques they learnt from Muay Thai, San Shou, Judo etc in fights...

It does not matter how a demonstration looks, if a person can use Wing Chun in a fight is all that matters.. and on that score there is zero evidence that WC is effective. Unless you want you want to provide some video evidence?

7. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

i feel like they did a pretty good job with savate, a not so good job with Silat, and i'm still waiting for some korean arts. jason chambers is an idiot. he needs to empty his cup a little. i mean must he compare everything he learns to MMA? bill on the other hand seems to want to learn whatever the master offers.