Renaissance sword in southern England

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by bigreddog, Apr 25, 2016.

1. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

Hi All

Quite interested in learning to fight with a sword - I did a taster for the medieval stuff which was great but not wild about full armour. So I wondered about the 'renaissance' style - a bit more fencing like.

I'm in north Hampshire so there are a couple of schools in Berkshire and the edge of Surrey that I might be able to train at. I'm looking for 'practical' training and competition rather than historical study (as I get older there may be a cunning plan to evolve into greater historical study, but I'd still like to spend some significant time sparring for the moment).

I guess my questions are:

Is there a particular school that anyone would recommend?
    Are there particular sub-styles that I should approach or avoid?
    What are the opportunities for competition? (I like competing, so this is important)
    Is there an 'idiots guide 101' to this stuff you can point me at?

Cheers

BRD

2. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

School of the Sword in Godalming is probably your best bet both in terms of geography and what you want.
    Most medieval places train unarmoured sword for the most part.

3. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

4. Ben Gash CLF

That's 45 minutes from me, and I'm an hour from him.

5. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

6. Ben Gash CLF

Both are good options to be honest, you are a bit spoiled for choice in that area. Personal taste may well be a factor. Personally I like the Italian stuff and would therefore be drawn to School of the Sword (I mean they do Spadone, who wouldn't want that?). Some people like the Englishness of the backsword systems, some people like to indulge their musketeer fantasies with the French rapier stuff.

7. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

Hmm, I need one that has the crushing of enemies and drinking wine from their skulls.....

8. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

Went to School of the Sword last night. I can confirm that hitting people with swords (even padded ones) is big fun.

And also that 20 odd years of left foot forward kickboxing is no preparation for trying to move about right foot forward and swinging a sword

9. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

What style were they having you do?

10. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

I think Bolognese rapier is the core style (although 'waggling something pointy' describes what I did rather better)