Religion Sucks. Let me tell you why!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Llamageddon, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

Actually... I was responding to Moosey... but this stupid thing called work keeps getting in the way!

But that was really my point. Science opperates mostly on theory. Well accepted theory, but theory nonetheless. So what's to say that eventually we won't also prove the existence of God?

2. forero

forero Valued Member

Ok, I wasn't sure lol

Yes that's what agnostics say.

3. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Religion = Poo. End of.

4. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Okay, I wanna play now - most religions encourage free thought except in evaluation of themselves. Science on the other hand encourages free thought including evaluation of it's own methodology.

Theory and hypothesis are very different things. God is a hypothesis, gravity is a theory, the difference is that gravity has supporting evidence and a theory that makes accurate predictions - religion doesn't.

Also, more importantly, the existence of God is completely and utterly irrelevant to the way the world works.

Encouraging unquestioning belief in a set of morals and a great creator, as well as an eternal reward for not participating in and, more importantly, preventing sin is a cause of poor behaviour.

I would be, but you defended religion, which annoys me.

5. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

Sorry.

And the basis of most religions IS self-evaluation. People tend to forget that part tho, and focus more on the parts that fit what they want. Which is usually not self-evaluation.

6. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Self-evaluation is a different thing from evaluation of the belief structure itself - which is mostly discouraged.

Speaking of which, as a self-proclaimed Mormon, where are the plates?

7. Ancientharp

Ancientharp klutzy thread assassin

Gautama Buddha - “Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.”

End of.

8. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

[cheeky]but why should we believe gautama buddha?[/cheeky]

9. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Brother was ahead of his time, yo.

10. forero

forero Valued Member

Buddhism, to me, seems much more aligned with philosophy than with deism.

11. Ancientharp

Ancientharp klutzy thread assassin

Jack Handey - “We tend to scoff at the beliefs of the ancients. But we can't scoff at them personally, to their faces, and this is what annoys me.”

12. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

The thread title is "religion sucks, let me tell you why"

Self explanitory really. Its actualy quite amusing i think, any of the religions are about as close to reality as.. well their not are they.
    No use having a laugh at the conspiricy nutters is it, what about the bibles endtimes! Where is the difference there? perhaps their being good little christians.
    How about the new agers that say they have had communication with pleadians or whatnot, hmm, where have we heard that business before? oh, thats right prophets.
    UFO freaks?, nope sorry, again its all there in religion.
    Religion is the master text/enabler for nutters isnt it, the formula to use to justify being a nutjob LOL
    What a we got, touchy feely catholic/christian priests, Jonestown, Karesh lets his flock burn rather than join society etc the list goes on! right through to these two rocket scientists

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr-vt2DTCFw"]YouTube - Allah order you to beat your wife so you should do it.[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl8g8S6F3do"]YouTube - How to beat your wife[/ame]

Aaah religion.. Harmless my arrse!!

13. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Islam is hardcore yo.

14. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

I'm skeptical about the notion that removing religion (one outlet of frequent stupidity and evil) will solve our problems.