Regions for PS3

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by fifthchamber, Dec 17, 2007.

1. fifthchamber

fifthchamber Valued Member

Hi all,

I'm sure it's been asked before, but does anyone here have any idea of the compatability between the Japanese PS3 lines and those used in say, the States or United Kingdom?

I have a Japanese PS3 and was hoping to get games that use English to let you know what's going on, since each time I play I get a headache from reading the damn things in Japanese..

Anyone have any clue about how the region setup works for PS3?

Thanks.

2. psbn matt

psbn matt great sage = of heaven

i think the region coding is just on the dvd/blue ray side, not the games, but i could well be wrong.
    best thing to do would be to hire a game from your region and try it out.

3. fifthchamber

Hi Matt..

Yeah, but I live in Japan, so can't hire a game from another region to try out...I can buy them here perhaps, but if that's a long shot that's a lot of cash to mess up on..(Unless my brother decides to start buying me Christmas presents and feels up to it...Even longer shot I reckon).

I had heard that the region coding applied to the Blu Ray and DVD only as well, but since I haven't been able to check on that I thought it would be a good idea to ask people here..Since we cover the world and all that..

If they work I'll make a trip down to Aikihabara and get some good games in English for a change..

Thanks for helping..

Regards.

4. psbn matt

ben

i've had alook around the www.eurogamer.net website, and it all points to ps3 being region free for ps3 games only, but some of the downloadable content for games isn't region free.

check out the site yourself, but it's looking like you'll be ok buying english speaking games.

5. fifthchamber

Hi Matt,

Bloody great news..I'll be down in Akihabara this weekend and will buy a game and try it out then..If it works I'll post here so people know about the region thing..

Thanks for all the help mate!

Regards

6. fifthchamber

Just as an update, the games I bought from the US all worked fine with no problems whatsoever, although the store clerk made some mention that he wasn't sure about PAL convertability in Japan, so maybe the English bought games would be dodgy due to the different TV system here and in the US..

Anyway, again thanks for the help.

7. psbn matt

glad to hear it's all working out. now i know imports work, i might start checking out ebay :)

8. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

You might like to check out movietyme for import games - up to £15 cheaper than UK disks!!! I've been ordering from them for years and they're mostly good, mostly...