Regarding Rows

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Gray, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Gray

Gray New Member

Hey all, recently I've added Barbell Upright Rows to my weights routine and I have a few questions...

I notice a lot of 'burn' in my shoulders, and when I lower the barbell it is a mite painful on my shoulders. Is this to be expected or is something wrong here?

Is this a good lift to perform when I already practice bench press?

Is this a lift well-suited to developing upper body mass? Where is the most noticable area that Barbell Upright Rows 'build'?

Thanks.

2. JKD_forever

JKD_forever DEADLIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!

well, hard to say. I feel burn too when i do that, but its just that a burn, goes away quickly, If you fell a pain then its a problem. Be carefull when u do this exercise.
    its a good exercise if you want to pack some shoulders....

3. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

I feel that upright rows can do more damage to your shoulders than it can do good. Overhead pressing is a better option

4. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

Throw out the upright rows and just do normal bent-over bb rows or Pendlay rows. Pendlay rows or bent over bb rows, military press, and deadlifts will give you all the development in that area better than any upright rowing will.

5. JKD_forever

JKD_forever DEADLIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats true.
    Some people like this exercise however, so its not really a problem if you are careful. It deff packs some "width" to shoulders, if thats what your looking for.

6. Gray

Gray New Member

What if, say, I were to do upright bb rows, bent-over bb rows, bb benchpress and bicep curls (I know, I know, not a compound :rolleyes: ) in one session?

7. Vigilance

Vigilance Valued Member

Doesn't really make much sense to me. What does the rest of your workouts look like? What are you trying to accomplish?

I'm not a fan of upright rows. Like BS mentioned, there are much better alternatives.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2006
  8. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

same here. i mean they may be ok if you get bored of pressing things above your head but otherwise get pressing.

9. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

Some people can get away with upright rows and some people cannot, it's just the way we're designed. If it's hurting your shoulder to do upright rows, then skip them because your body is telling you something...sometimes working through the pain is stupid and can cost us a lot of rehab time.

You might try using a snatch (or wide) grip and just bringing the bar to the lower portion of the chest and see if this takes some of the pain out of the equation. Upright rows really aren't necessary but if you want to do them, go for it...just be wary if it's painful and cut it out.

10. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

Though the movment may have similarities, the high pull is a better alternative

11. Gray

Gray New Member

'Kay, thanks... I'll see after a little while longer if they're suitable for me. If I feel something just isn't right I'll just drop the exercise.

12. Radok

Radok Love myself better than U

Upright rows have a reputation for being damaging to the shoulders, and bent over rows are better anyway.