Regarding Iaitos

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by vickbd, Nov 28, 2005.

1. vickbd

vickbd New Member

It seems like every sword site I check the Iaitos are pretty expensive. Is there a reason for this? Shouldn't an Iaito cost less considering it's not even sharp? Well I don't know much about Iaitos and am highly interested in buying one. I could sure use advice from all you enlightened ones :D . If you would need a price range I guess it would be no more than 100$ Canadian.

*If it wouldn't be too much of a bother I'd highly appreciate links to where Iaitos could be sold.*

Thanks for your time. Arigato!

2. gpinkert

gpinkert Valued Member

As far as cheap iaitos go, I only know of one place that sells them for that cheap. Again this is probably something you'd want to talk with your instructor about, (I'd hate for you to buy an Iaido sword from this company and not be allowed to use it in class.) If it's outside of class, it's your decision.

http://www.hondamartialarts.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=732

Personally I have one, it's by no means the greatest. But it works for a budget. I think you need to contact the owner of the site if you want more details on the sword. (Length, weight, etc) Unfortunately they only have one size.

Higher quality Iaito's can be found here:
    http://iaido.tozando.com/iaito/index.html

Although they are for a higher price.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2005
  3. vickbd

vickbd New Member

Thanks for the reply and links pinkert.
    Yeah I'd really love to buy one of them 400$ ones but right now I wouldn't be able to afford one. Think I'll just stick with getting a wooden bokken to start off with.

http://www.martialartsmart.net/3514.html

I found this one a long time ago but wasn't really interested in getting an Iaito at that time. Hence it's not called an Iaito but in the description it clearly says "Blade cannot be sharpened".

For now I think a 440 stainless would be best not only as a decorative sword but something to shear and unshear once in a while :D . The only MAJOR problem with that is I have a young 4 year old sister and wouldn't want to take such a big risk. QUESTION: Are the 440 stainless steel katanas sharp or semi-sharp?

Well I'd like to finish this post off by asking another question.

Which oak is best for bokken? IE:Red Oak, White Oak.
    It's funny that in most sword sites a White Oak bokken would go from aroud 7-15$CND. I've checked a store nearby my house and one of 'em White Oaks go for like 75$.. I wonder if it's a misprint :confused: ??

The Expensive White Oak Bokken:https://secure.kontactsports.com:6443/index.php?lang=en&act=pro&v1=11&v2=BOKJ

and

Another White Oak bokken sold at the same store for $34.95:https://secure.kontactsports.com:6443/index.php?lang=en&act=pro&v1=11&v2=BOKW

Am I the only one who doesn't see a difference :confused: ?

Again, Thanks and sorry for such a long post :eek:

4. Sojiro

Sojiro New Member

off the top, its probably the quality of material you are paying for, not the sharpness of it :p

i would also recommend a bokken first. and i think it is white oak usually, but dont take my word for it.

5. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Expensive white oak bokken are often from a specific type of oak tree in Japan and are cut and shaped out there, while the cheap ones are made elsewhere. Other than that, probably no difference!

As for swords, they are not something you should compromise too much on price. The difference between a good and a bad sword can be the difference between a well-housed blade and one that will fly out if it is ever actually used. In addition to that, unless you can confirm the exact grade of steel, the general advice is to avoid 440 steel if you want to train with the blade over a prolongued period.

As some others have suggested, talk to a sword instructor for the best advice, but make sure they're actually a sword instructor and not someone with a dan grade in karate who thinks this automatically quallifies them as good at swordwork ;) (it really happens before anyone gets upset at that remark!)

6. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

LOL yeah it does! :D

7. vickbd

vickbd New Member

Thanks for the advice everyone.
    I Guess buying the cheapest bokken would do good for now.
    I would love to order that "Non-sharpened" sword from MartialartsMarts but realized they're out of stock AND the shipping price to Canada would be about 30$. Bringing it to a total of about 90$ CND. Forget it.. :bang:

-Thanks again, Vick.

8. Sukerkin

Sukerkin Valued Member

Hi vickbd

I cannot emphasise strongly enough how important it is not to buy any old piece of tat for iaido practice - the reason why iaito of quality cost money is because they are properly made to reflect the balance and handling of a shinken (and also not fall apart after two months :D).

I trained with a bokken (in fitted plastic saya) for about eighteen months before switching to a 'proper' blade. I had (have) 440 Stainless Steel wallhangers in plenty but such things are just for decoration, not for use.

I now have a Hon Jidai Koshirae from Tozando and it was well worth the wait and the expense. I also have a PPK from Paul Chen (a good one) that I use when I require an extra 'edge' (LOL) to my concentration or when the 'swoosh' of the Koshirae is intrusive.

9. vickbd

vickbd New Member

Arigato for clearing things up Sukerkin.
    Yeah I surely will practice with bokkens. In the meanwhile I'll start saving so when the time comes, I'll be ready.. :rolleyes: