Reflections of a decade

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by axelb, Dec 29, 2019.

1. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Coming to the turn of another decade.

At the end of the year I like to review what I did well and also what I could have worked on better, but as we move to 2020 (of which I will be turning 40) I have been thinking about the last decade.

The big achievement for me were getting a handle on my asthma and my family life so I could get back into martial arts classes, at the turn of the decade I was out of all martial arts training, by 2011 doing bag work in my own time and some sparring with friends, 2017 back into classes (TKD) then 2018 found a great BJJ place.

Whilst I couldn't get to classes i worked on running and strength training primarily with 2-3 year plan for each.

I'm yet to figure a plan for the next decade, but I'll certainly be writing down plans for the next 3 years in and out of the dojo.

I know I've needed to work on family/training balance and also recovery is an ongoing battle in my head.

What about everyone else here. Lots of names come and go, but those still active let's here you reflection of the decade.

:)

Nachi, ned and Travess like this.
  2. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Where to begin...

...at the start of the last decade I, much like yourself, was at the time out of Martial Arts training (out of any training at all in fact) and had been for some time. Flash forward just 3 months though (March/April time) and everything was about to change in a BIG way - Not only was my martial journey about to be Kickstarted (no pun intended) but I was soon to discover that the wife and I were expecting our 1st child together too.

10-years on, I hold a 2nd Dan (just) with the same club, and am now father to 2 beautiful (if I do say so myself) daughters (9 & 4) so, from a family growth, martial achievement balance standpoint, I couldn't be happier.

Moving into to the next decade, my focus, in addition to family, will be directed mostly towards teaching, and my growth as an instructor (oh, and the matter of another pesky half marathon looming in April...)

Travess

Nachi, ned, axelb and 1 other person like this.
  3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

A decade, wow...

Well, 52 year old Mitch has kept teaching and training for another 10 years. I've graded up to 4th Dan and trained a number of my own students through to black belt and Dan grades. It's 15 years since I took over my first club, with about 4 students. It's been running continuously, in the same place, ever since, and sits around 60 members most of the time. I hadn't understood how comparatively rare that is in martial arts.

I've taken over a new club, and am in the process of building that into something similar.

I need to focus on myself and my fitness more. Age is creeping up on me and injuries don't heal, so I need to do a lot of preventative maintenance now; I think that needs to be my focus for the next year.

My family are growing up and in some ways require less attention, so maybe I can hit the gym a bit more :)

Nachi, ned, Dead_pool and 3 others like this.
  4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

2011 - Living with my parents, doing jujuitsu, broke and no idea what do do next.

2019 - Living with my parents, doing jujuitsu, broke and no idea what do do next.

It's not true really, I at least know what I want to do now. I just really hate reflecting. It makes me sad and anxious.

Nachi, axelb, ned and 1 other person like this.
  5. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

2010 Happy but stressed.

2019 Not as happy, still stressed, but I think Im a better person. Got a nephew to play with.

Things in between. Admittedly not a great time with the family, went through tough struggles but we all got out of it relatively intact.
    I did a bit of travelling. It did not clear my mind but it was nice to just leave everything and wander.

40 now. I got a drive again for training. But also a lot of wear n tear Im carrying (and a slight bit of laziness). I was hoping to compete in maybe 1 or 2 comps. To get out of my system and I think that'll be it..

axelb, ned, Mitch and 1 other person like this.
  6. ned

ned Valued Member

Ten years ago I was training up to three times a week with my daughters. Now I'm 52 , one's finished uni, one's in middle of uni and one's in 6th form and
    I train largely on my own.
    I look back and am so grateful for that time as they grew up, sharing knowledge and practice of our art.

In the intervening years I competed on and off until I won my weight division in push hands and my middle daughter has gone on to achieve instructor
    certification and this year became disciple to our taiji teacher, now in his 70's.
    I also built a shed/workshop with plenty of space for hanging bag, weights and self made wooden dummy which has become increasingly more important over the years
    as the emphasis has gone from being part of an active school to mainly solo training with regular one to one lessons.

It was a decade of sad loses - my dear mum ( bowel cancer ), my nephew ( sudden death after epileptic fit ), one of my eldest friends (last year in a tragic accident ) and my dad this time last year after we spent the last six or so years caring for him here at home with us after my mum's death in 2013.
    None of us knows when our time is up so appreciate every day and save your time,energy and love for those people and things that really matter.

Peace and happy new year to all !

Mitch, axelb and Monkey_Magic like this.
  7. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Ten years seem to have passed in the blink of an eye.

This past decade I joined the England karate team, became a full-contact world champion, left the team, ventured out on my own coaching flexibility training and martial arts, got both hips replaced and lost all flexibility, regained my flexibility, battled a nasty infection after my surgery, lost all flexibility, regained my flexibility, developed chronic pain because of the infection, lost all flexibility, got divorced, became severely depressed, tried to take my own life but failed (thankfully), got professional help, regained my flexibility, started my own research organisation, taught at ballet companies all around the world, lectured at a couple of universities, met a partner I'd quite happily spend the rest of my life with, started my PhD, and have very nearly finished my book... in a nutshell.

Looking ahead, my goals are simple: publish my book, finish my PhD, compete again. But I'm also going to take life a lot less seriously :)