Reducing the pump

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by harhar, Mar 1, 2006.

1. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

Is there any ways to get rid of or prevent the pump in the muscles when lifting weights? Half way through my workout I just get too much of a pump that my ROM becomes limited and I cant get in as much reps.

For example, after some benchpress or military presses, my forearms (from holding the dumbbells) and triceps get too pumped up and restricts the motion by the time I get to weighted chins. Its really frustrating.

2. gornex

gornex Valued Member

you say your having a problem with your read only memory? lol i am just joking, i don't know the answer.

3. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

Oh man the geek war is on! ;) . Comp Sci major btw. I hate semaphores.

4. Stan O'Kella

Stan O'Kella Hmmmmmmmmmmm?

I'll avoid the geekiness if you dont mind! Are you taking any supplements at the mo? I used to find that i got a real huge pump (oooh errr) whilst on cretin. As for the pump is it really such a bad thing, Ahnold says its rather a nice feeling :D

5. Skrom

Skrom Banned Banned

only thing i can think of is less volume, but that's kind of obvious. i think it helps a little to move your arms around and stretch a little bit between sets, but i'm not sure how much that actually helps.

6. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

If you have less rom you and shift more weight in that limited rom, so if you feel you aren't getting all you could out of that workout then up the weght by half a kilo or so

7. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

What rep range are you using, and are you taking it to failure?

8. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

Depends on what Im feeling like.
    Yesterday: 1. work up to clean and jerk 3x2, work up to max clean and jerk.
    ................2. DB military press work up to 3RM, lower weight and do 3x5 (non-failure).
    ................3. weighted pull ups 3x5 (last set is failure)
    ................4. attempt handstand pushups (only got 3 reps.. c & j + MP killed shoulders)

9. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

Maybe you're just prone to getting a pump relatively easily?

10. JKD_forever

JKD_forever DEADLIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol what are you 300 lb?

I love pumps, i dont train for pumps, but i like 'em :D
    I dont think they ever affect ROM that much.
    I dont think volume matters, i get huge pec pumps from doing 5 x 3 bench...

So no i can't help you sorry :p

11. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

Man, do you have any idea how hard it is to get a good grip for the jerk portion when your forearms are pumped? Oh well, I guess it cant be helped. I even get a pump in my legs doing few sets of triples in squats.

12. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

reduce sets, lower reps

13. Combatant

Thats quite odd to get such a pump with the low rep range you are using, i suppose I should also have asked; how long do you rest between sets? as this is an affecting factor for a pump.

14. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

2-3 mins.

15. Combatant

......hmmmm, now I am confused.

16. Skrom

Skrom Banned Banned

i could probably work out all day in that rep range and never get a pump. you're just weird i guess.

17. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

the pump in my arms got so bad that in the shower, i couldnt flex my arms as i could feel the skin stretch further...

i have horrible stretch marks on my legs, chest and arms... the chest has like purple ribbons where the delts join the pecs

18. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

Yes, I do. I played with Power Cleans for 8x8, and somewhere around set 5, rep 4, my forearms were blowing up, hardcore Popeye-style.

It does sound like you're (somehow) prone to low-rep pumps. Not such a big deal really. I'd try resting for a half-breath between each rep (yes, I mean rep, not set). Since you're training with such low reps already, it won't negatively affect the time under tension, and it won't significantly lengthen the duration of the workout. You could also try massaging the pumped area inbetween sets (remove mind from gutter, thank you). ;)

19. redsandpalm

redsandpalm shut your beautiful face

Nah it's having fun there. It'll come out when it's ready.

20. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

I don't see the fuss, it can't be limiting you that much so I would just ignore it and keep going.