recovery time

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by SJON, Mar 19, 2014.

1. SJON

SJON Valued Member

Hello.

I’ve drifted over here from the KMA section in need of a bit of advice.

I’m 40. I’m in good shape. I weigh 70kg. I’m a “hard gainer”. I have very low body fat. My objectives in terms of conditioning are to have reasonably good anaerobic cardio and acceptable functional strength. I’m not looking for huge strength and I’m not in a position to dedicate 3 sessions a week to weight training. In fact, I need to keep stuff as succinct as possible (work, small kids, etc.).

For the last few months I’ve been doing a Tabata protocol (burpees) once a week and a strength session once a week involving 5x5 compound exercises just short of training to failure, slightly increasing the weight every week. At first this was fine, but now the intensity is getting serious in the Tabatas and the weight in the strength work, I’m concerned about my recovery time.

Tabatas are recommended no more than once a week, as far as I know. Strength training to near-failure too, again as far as I know.

Bear in mind that I’m not looking to discuss the merits or otherwise of these methods, and that I can’t afford several sessions a week time-wise.

My question is:

If both protocols advise at least a week’s recovery time, is it advisable to coordinate both in the same week, or should I just face up to training once a week, alternating protocols? This is apart from my MA training, of course.

Cheers,

Simon

2. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

need more info on your:
    - what is acceptable conditioning/functional strength?
    - MA training (what style? how long? how many sessions? breakdown of sessions?)
    - what is your 5x5 routine like?
    - what has your progress your progress on the 5x5 routine been like?
    - is your calorie intake sufficient to make strength gains?

3. kundalini

kundalini New Member

Recovery is very important and I guess the only correct answer is that you have to feel for yourself..

What you can do is to keep it up but after a few weeks take a whole week of of everything.
    If that makes a drastic difference than your schedule is probably too intense.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  4. SJON

SJON Valued Member

Thanks for the answers. I'll answer your questions (re-numbered by me):

1. Acceptable cardio for me is being able to handle a few rounds of hard sparring at gym level but not needing tournament level cardio. Acceptable functional strength is being able to move anything daily life might require without injuring myself, keeping my joints well protected under moderate loads, being able to squat or deadlift an object heavier than my own bodyweight, but not having any designs on being a powerlifter.
    2. MA training in what you might call "old-style TKD" (i.e. more hand technique than kicking) and Chen TJQ (fighting type, not health/relaxation type). More than 20 years in the former, about a year in the latter. Doing 2 hours of TKD and 1 hour of TJQ a week.
    3. 5x5 routine based on weighted pistol squats, weighted one-armed push-ups and pull-ups. To give you an idea, at 70kg I did 5x5 pistol squats with a 16kg dumbbell this week.
    4. Slow for the first 2 or 3 months while I mastered the exercises, steady thereafter, adding weight little by little. I've been doing this routine for about 6 months, with 2 or 3 two week periods of downtime due to illness or other commitments.
    5. My diet is good (I know a fair bit about nutrition), but I certainly need to increase protein intake by about 25%.

Cheers,

Simon

5. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Recovery shouldnt be too hard if you're doing each only once a week but play it by ear and maybe on days you're feeling rubbish, reduce the load a little.

but question yourself on why you're doing certain things:
    Well why not focus on decreasing your rest times or upping the intensity in your sparring rather than tabata, that would be more specific

if you're a hard gainer, eat more food at each meal and maybe replace the tabata session with more lifting.

6. SJON

SJON Valued Member

Hi.

The question isn't how to make more progress in one area or the other, but on whether the two areas are compatible. Both are what could be termed "high intensity", and I'm concerned that doing both with only three of four days' rest between them may be counterproductive.

I'm afraid I can't rely on the sparring for cardio, as that depends more on my students' needs than mine.

Strangely, I don't notice much difference in performance if I miss a week of Tabatas, though I do if I miss the strength work.

Perhaps I'll experiment with doing one or the other every 5 days instead of trying to stick to a strict Monday and Thursday program.

Cheers,

Simon